Sponsored

Mustang GT dimensions vs. the world

WestRace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E46 M3
If you think the Mustang is big vs. for example the BRZ well then it's not really alone in this respect. Here are the GT's dimensions vs. some of the high performance cars. Compared to the M4, its wheelbase is slightly shorter, and has shorter overall width vs. most super cars, and it's barly smaller overall vs. an F1 race car. So when I hear Euro folks crying the Mustang is too big for European roads it sounds a bit comical. My point is in order to have high performance such as cornering speed and stable high speed, there is a need to have a large footprint. Based on the dimension below, it seems like the magic number is around 105in wheelbase and around 74-5in. in width. The key is having a solid body and make sure having most of the mass within the wheelbase. The BRZ may be more nimble and "sporty" but ultimately it will not have the cornering speed to compete with the Mustang by virtue of fundamental physics. Look at F1 wheelbase.

The problem the Mustang has is that the chassis has to accommodate a starting price point between 23K - 55K(GT350) with only one chassis whereas those other cars below are bespoke. Having a base price of 200K is a luxury that it can't really afford.

I went to check out the car but didn't have a chance to test drive. The closing-the-door test had a decidedly upscale feel not unlike the Cadillac CTS and much better than the 2014 Mustang. Roving through the gears felt really solid vs. the 2014 as well. All the suspension components and geometry are basically the same as the BMW. But I can understand why some may have said the GT is more of a grand touring car. Looking at the suspension height, it's probably not tune for outright performance. There is a bit of the a wheel gap so the suspension vertical movement may be a bit less ideal. I thing Ford saves the best for last which will be the GT350.
As you go from 23K - 55K, you probably will be less GT and more track oriented tuning.

Mustang:
Overall length: 188.3
Overall width: 75.4
Wheel base: 107.1

Lamborghini Aventador:
Overall length: 188.2
Overall width: 79.9
Wheel base: 106.3

Ferrari Italia:
Overall length: 178.2
Overall width: 76.3
Wheel base: 104.3

Corvette C7:
Overall length: 176.9
Overall width: 73.9
Wheel base: 106.7

BMW M4:
Overall length: 184.5
Overall width: 73.6
Wheel base: 110.7

McClaren MP-12C:
Overall length: 177.4
Overall width: 75.2
Wheel base: 105.1

Formula 1:
Overall length: 182.3
Overall width: 70.8 (excluding tires) with tires may add a few inches.
Wheel base: 122
Sponsored

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Crazy to see that the M4's wheelbase is 3.6" longer, while the overall length is 3.8" shorter. That's over a half-foot difference in combined front/rear overhang.

More useful comparisons:

Camaro 5G:
Overall length: 190.4
Overall width: 75.5
Wheel base: 112.3

Mustang S197:
Overall length: 188.1

And a repost for immediate reference.

Mustang S550:

Ferdelance

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gianluca
Vehicle(s)
Peugeot
If you think the Mustang is big vs. for example the BRZ well then it's not really alone in this respect. Here are the GT's dimensions vs. some of the high performance cars. Compared to the M4, its wheelbase is slightly shorter, and has shorter overall width vs. most super cars, and it's barly smaller overall vs. an F1 race car. So when I hear Euro folks crying the Mustang is too big for European roads it sounds a bit comical. My point is in order to have high performance such as cornering speed and stable high speed, there is a need to have a large footprint. Based on the dimension below, it seems like the magic number is around 105in wheelbase and around 74-5in. in width. The key is having a solid body and make sure having most of the mass within the wheelbase. The BRZ may be more nimble and "sporty" but ultimately it will not have the cornering speed to compete with the Mustang by virtue of fundamental physics. Look at F1 wheelbase.
The problem the Mustang has is that the chassis has to accommodate a starting price point between 23K - 55K(GT350) with only one chassis whereas those other cars below are bespoke. Having a base price of 200K is a luxury that it can't really afford.
I went to check out the car but didn't have a chance to test drive. The closing-the-door test had a decidedly upscale feel not unlike the Cadillac CTS and much better than the 2014 Mustang. Roving through the gears felt really solid vs. the 2014 as well. All the suspension components and geometry are basically the same as the BMW. But I can understand why some may have said the GT is more of a grand touring car. Looking at the suspension height, it's probably not tune for outright performance. There is a bit of the a wheel gap so the suspension vertical movement may be a bit less ideal. I thing Ford saves the best for last which will be the GT350.
As you go from 23K - 55K, you probably will be less GT and more track oriented tuning.

Mustang:

Lamborghini Aventador:
Overall length: 188.2
Overall width: 79.9
Wheel base: 106.3

Ferrari Italia:
Overall length: 178.2
Overall width: 76.3
Wheel base: 104.3

Corvette C7:
Overall length: 176.9
Wheel base: 106.7

BMW M4:
Overall width: 73.6
Wheel base: 110.7

McClaren MP-12C:
Overall length: 177.4
Overall width: 75.2
Wheel base: 105.1

Formula 1:
Overall length: 182.3
Overall width: 70.8 (excluding tires) with tires may add a few inches.
Wheel base: 122
Actually I have to say you are right....I live in Italy and I used to drive a Peugeot 407 whose length and wheel base are around 184 and 107 respectively. It's not a very big issue... at least for me.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Interesting that you mention the brz a lot you did not put the dimensions. My main takeaway is my disappointment that i have now confirmed that the Aventador is out for me because it is too wide for my garage. :( Guess my second choice, th s550, is in now and only for that reason. :)

Trevon

97 Hummer, 15 GT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP Recaro
Mustang:

Hummer H1:
Overall width: 86.5
Wheel base: 130

Just for fun, to me, I compared it to my current daily driver just to see how living with it will be...not as different as I would have expected!

Only other car I've used extensively to compare:

1978 Trans Am:
Overall length: 196.8
Overall width: 73.4
Wheel base: 108

Sponsored

Devon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
It's a big car, no getting around it - in my view too big for what is essentially a 2 seater (+2 kids). The m235i has much better rear seat headroom and is over a foot shorter and 5" narrower (as well as 300 lbs lighter). I would have much preferred an S550 with M235i dimensions.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
Actually I have to say you are right....I live in Italy and I used to drive a Peugeot 407 whose length and wheel base are around 184 and 107 respectively. It's not a very big issue... at least for me.
Very interesting, how much is it bigger than the S197
thanks

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I look around at the vehicles in the parking lot at work and the Mustang is certainly not a large car. Larger than a Corolla or Civic for sure but the same size as the majority of mid size sedans (Camrys, Optimas, A6s, Fusions, etc). It is smaller than the SUVs that make up the bulk of the cars in the parking lot.

If back seat space is any kind of consideration a Mustang is not the right car for you.

50hhh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
The mustang has just become too bloated. A low wide car is fine but when the mustang is as long as must luxury 4 door cars you have a problem. The car should be 6 inches shorter and 500lbs lighter had ford not cut corners on the redesign.

Clarkson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clarkson
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 Ingot Silver Manual
Mustangs just look so wide & low.

Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yeah. It's amazing how long this car is yet you can't fit anyone in the back seat.

RobMustang15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Automatic
Yeah.

Coming from a Scion TC and my wife's Honda Civic to the Mustang has been...interesting.

All of my old parking spots no longer comfortably fit my car!

Part of the reason why I am selling it to my dad this Summer, now when I car shop I make sure to also note the length and width! It is bigger than most crossovers!

TruBlu16GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Vehicle(s)
'16 Blue GT Base
A year ago, when I first drove my friends' Ecoboost Mustang, the first thing I thought was "Whoa, this is a big car." But as you drive it, you really get used to it. It wasn't until I got mine home and parked her next to my Tiburon (which I consider to be quite small) that the Mustang really isn't a whole lot bigger!

2004 Tiburon GT:
Length: 173"
Width: 69.3"
Wheelbase: 99.6"

Mustang S550:
Overall length: 188.3"
Overall width: 75.4"
Wheel base: 107.1"

So really, 15" longer, 6" wider, 7.5" longer wheelbase. The extra length is definitely noticeable in the front and rear overhangs, but there's really only 7" difference in wheelbase. That is not a huge difference!
Sponsored