Sponsored

Steering wheel control relocation for Aftermarket Steering Wheel

hulk_smash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'm thinking about doing a race steering wheel for the Mustang.

Is there a way to retain the controls for the various menus on the dash? All of the controls seem to be built into the steering wheel.

I have a street driven track car that I drive to and from track. I don't DD this. But I would like ability to cycle through the dash options and to answer my phone etc.

What hub adapters are you guys using for aftermarket steering wheels? I'm planning on going with an OMP Targa type wheel. I used to use Worksbell on my other cars but I don't think they make one for the Mustang.

Thanks.

Eric
Sponsored

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I was able to retain the use of the 5 button cursor controls by disassembling the clock spring and making a new wire harness to relocate it to the opening that had the sunglasses holder. I also moved the OBDII port to the same location because with a cage the OBDII port has to be moved to clear the cage. I did it over a year ago so I do not remember exactly what was needed but I did have to sacrifice the clock spring itself in order to get the connectors needed to make the harness without cutting the dash harness. If you are willing to cut the dash harness then the clock spring can be saved ($132 part) in case you decide to put the OEM wheel back in place. My car is a track only car so the OEM wheel is not going to go back in.

Dave