Best car jack and stands?

CCCP1999

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
CHAS
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Looking for a simple car jack and jack stands. Are the Home depot stuff any good?

They have a jack and a pair of stands for $109.
Sponsored

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
Go to harbor freight. The low pro 3 ton jack is legit and sells for $80-100 depending on sales. Especially if you plan on lowering the car or need to change a flat tire it's hard to get a regular jack under the car.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
I bought an aluminum low racing jack from Harbor Freight for about $50 (on sale). Extends from just about 3 inches to over 14 inches. My standard hydraulic jacks wouldn't fit under the pinch rail. I made a pinch rail block from EPDM to fit on the jack's lift face.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
These https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007XTGCI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 jack stands.

That's the item I consider not worth saving on. Jack itself doesn't really matter as long as you don't do the smart thing of getting under the car supported by it and nothing else but a real nice one is Dayton jak at Harbor Freight - it is supposed to be direct copy of much more expensive Snap On (or maybe made by whoever makes it for Snap On) - HF got sued for it by Snap On.
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-daytona-professional-steel-floor-jack-super-duty-63183.html

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I use this jack: http://www.samsclub.com/sams/3-ton-low-profile-ja/prod13240191.ip

It doesn't seem to be for sale anywhere but I'm sure it's the same as any other jack that looks the same just with different colors and stickers on it. My 8 year old cousin can jack my car up with this thing and it fits under cars even lower than my own.

As for jack stands, I have a set of 4 2-ton jack stands from a sale at Autozone. They're the same basic thing as any 2-ton jack stand you can find at any car parts store, or even Walmart. They held my 1968 Lincoln Continental up in the air no problem. That's a heavy as hell car. Probably should have used better jack stands for that car, but... I didn't. For my Mustang, they have been just fine.

My recommendation though is to spend the money on the 4-ton jack stands, which will allow you to bring the car up much higher, which, if you've done a lot of garage modifications, is A MUST.

Sponsored

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
I just picked up a pair of Husky 3 Ton jack stands from Home Depot for $25! I haven't used them yet, but they seem to have great reviews.

Check them out!

OP
OP
CCCP1999

CCCP1999

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
CHAS
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Thanks guys.

JB1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I bought an aluminum low racing jack from Harbor Freight for about $50 (on sale). Extends from just about 3 inches to over 14 inches. My standard hydraulic jacks wouldn't fit under the pinch rail. I made a pinch rail block from EPDM to fit on the jack's lift face.
I just bought that same jack from HF, it's 1.5 ton which is more than enough. I have the jacking rails and it easily lifted entire side of car with maybe 5-6 pumps.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Don't look for cheap. Isn't your life worth more than $109?? :paddle:

DigitalPackrat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Mustang
I went with a 3 ton aluminum 4-18.25 inch jack, 4 6 ton stands and Steeda jacking rails. The jack is sufficient to pickup an F-250 diesel from the front axle or the entire side by the frame with 100 gallons of fuel on board. On the Mustang, there is plenty of room to roll around underneath and I am not a small guy.

Sponsored

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
How long are you going to keep it?

The thing about hydraulic jacks is how long the seals last. The cheaper jacks seem to spring leaks a lot sooner than the more expensive units. That is the biggest issue I've seen when comparing units. The next issue is how well made the handle is. The cheaper units have flimsy handles that are hard to turn or come apart. My advice is not to scrimp on the jack or the stands. Heavy is often good and lasts a lot longer. I have a 2.5 ton unit I bought in the early 80's I have used it since then on all my cars and trucks. I have never had to add oil to it. It's heavy as hell, steel casters, and the side plates are .25" steel.

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
Any "How To" threads for jacking the stang up and putting in on jack stands? I understand how to do it, but watching a short video on it being done always seems to help.

JB1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I added jacking rails to mine so it's easy, place jack anywhere along rails and stands too, no video required.

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
Jacking rails coming this week. Can you use the rail with jack stands? I thought the stands still needed to be placed in the 4 designated spots. Thanks!

JB1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
You use them for the jack stands too
Sponsored