Sponsored

Replacement Tires for PPL2

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
As for the tires, my guess is many will be doing the same. Why anyone would blow through the SP2 tires and waste them on the street is beyond me. If it were me, I'd spec out some PS4 tires and get them on there ASAP. They will offer plenty enough traction for the street...especially with fat wheels to match.
This was my thoughts exactly. If I track the car, it will just be for fun. Why waste a $1,600 set of tires. I'll sell them to someone who will use them for their intended purpose and make them a hell of a deal to offset the cost of replacement tires.
Sponsored

stang-man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GTPP
IMHO
Cup 2's wear so fast (5 k miles or so) I would take them off till the break in was over.
Put some Michelin's PS4S (maybe on some PP1 wheels can be picked up on the cheap)
Save the Cup 2's for track days.

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I have to agree with DarkestHour, why pay the money for the PP2 if you are turn around and buy new tires? Just get a PP1 with magneride, buy a Roush front splitter, and get a wheel and tire package
Because at that point, you've spent more than you would have by getting the PP2 in the first place AND swapped the PSC2's for PS4S's. And you'd still have a PP1 suspension, same firmness, albeit with better dampers.

Ace21 said:
that look good and are lighter than the stock ones
because the PP2 wheels are fugly!
That's your personal judgment call, but for others the PP2 wheels might be the better-looking set. And there's going to be people that like (or dislike) both of them with equal strength, or just don't care either way.

Mhjr74 - a little more on the matter of tires that may look mildly 'stretched' to some . . . when you're serious enough about cornering & handling, that look says you care more about handling and steering precision than about impressing the people who don't understand such things.

Strictly speaking, a 305/30 is not stretched on 11" wide rims, as 11" is the "measuring width" for that size. 11.5" is the mild stretch, and 10.5" is actually a mild 'pinch'.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
IMHO
I Cup 2's wear so fast (5 k miles or so) I would take them off till the break in was over.
Put some Michelin's PS4S (maybe on some PP1 wheels can be picked up on the cheap)
Save the Cup 2's for track days.
If you care about keeping the car so it feels as close to its track balance and behavior as possible (so you're not having to throw away as many laps re-learning it) I think you'd be better off sticking with PP2 sizes for both wheels and tires.

Norm

stang-man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GTPP
If you care about keeping the car so it feels as close to its track balance and behavior as possible (so you're not having to throw away as many laps re-learning it) I think you'd be better off sticking with PP2 sizes for both wheels and tires.

Norm
The problem is, going through a $1,500 set of tires every 5K miles.
That's going to quickly get expensive.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The problem is, going through a $1,500 set of tires every 5K miles.
That's going to quickly get expensive.
I realize that PSC2's are going to be expensive to run if you're going to DD this car . . . it's why I suggested the PS4S in the same size as the PSC2's, for the same width wheels.

(I don't think PSC2's are going to be as bad as 5K miles/set, though. 15K miles/set should at least be within reach assuming that alignment and inflation are matched to your driving.)

Norm

JD_GTPP2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro, 2SS/1LE
I have to agree with DarkestHour, why pay the money for the PP2 if you are turn around and buy new tires? Just get a PP1 with magneride, buy a Roush front splitter, and get a wheel and tire package that look good and are lighter than the stock ones because the PP2 wheels are fugly!

Of course just my probably unwanted 2 cents

I thought about going this route when I ordered my PP2. When priced out, the PP1+Magneride is only about $800 less. For that money, I will gladly take a set of racing tires and wide (if heavy) wheels. Plus the so-called "track-inspired" suspension set up. Well worth the difference.

For what it's worth from my perspective, I plan on ordering a second set of the OEM PP2 wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s for DD use, saving the SC2s for autocross (where allowed) and track days.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I realize that PSC2's are going to be expensive to run if you're going to DD this car . . . it's why I suggested the PS4S in the same size as the PSC2's, for the same width wheels.

(I don't think PSC2's are going to be as bad as 5K miles/set, though. 15K miles/set should at least be within reach assuming that alignment and inflation are matched to your driving.)

Norm
Ehh, I think he's looking at closer to 8k miles or less from what I've heard...especially considering the wheels can't be rotated.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
If you are going to ever drive the car in the rain, the SC2's are not even an option, unless you don't plan on going over 35-40 mph at the most. They are an excellent dedicated dry weather track tire and nothing more.

stang-man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GTPP
Would be nice if they would bump the HP up to the same level as the Bullitt.

Sponsored

azelmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP2 RC, 18 BMW 430i, 2022 C8 Z51 (on order)
At the track Saturday, no racing yet, as I need to wrap car first. I just went out to help my friend with his car (Porsche GT3 in the background), put new Hoosiers on it and he set the track record.

Lot's of people stopped to look at the Mustang. Only one guy new it was a PP2 though. Everyone loved the color and the wheels. One guy's quote, "that is f'ing beautiful"

As for this tire discussion, I bought this car to track, and Ford built it for that purpose, why else would they put Cup 2's on a car. However, I will be swapping them out for some street tires, and another set of wheels as I do like to drive it occasionally and wearing down the Cups is expensive, I would rather save those for race day. This car is awesome, and way better than my 17 GT PP1 I had and raced.

So if all you PP2 owners are swapping tires, let me know and I will buy all your Cup 2's cause even though racing season is coming to an end here in AZ (cause it's getting f'ing hot here), I will be burning through those tires come next season. SilverBullit, thanks for helping with the first order!
IMG_1628.JPG

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Do you have more pics of your car..?

There is just something about a slightly lowered crimson stang… off in the distance and in the shadows, the color lures your eyes to the car.

azelmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP2 RC, 18 BMW 430i, 2022 C8 Z51 (on order)
Do you have more pics of your car..?

There is just something about a slightly lowered crimson stang… off in the distance and in the shadows, the color lures your eyes to the car.

Best photo I have so far. It's not lowered though, don't plan on doing that.
IMG_1621.JPG

Ace21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1
I thought about going this route when I ordered my PP2. When priced out, the PP1+Magneride is only about $800 less. For that money, I will gladly take a set of racing tires and wide (if heavy) wheels. Plus the so-called "track-inspired" suspension set up. Well worth the difference.

For what it's worth from my perspective, I plan on ordering a second set of the OEM PP2 wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s for DD use, saving the SC2s for autocross (where allowed) and track days.
Yeah that makes total sense! I absolutely love these MPS4s, such a huge upgrade over previous P-ZEROs.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Well lately upgrading to the 2018 Pp1 model has been on my mind but after reading these threads and seeing youtube videos about the PP2's I'm starting to think maybe I should consider this level2. Are these packaged gt's on lots for sale or is this a special order option? ..If they're out there on lots is there a markup?
Sponsored

Last edited: