Sponsored

Replacement Tires for PPL2

Ace21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1
Your 2 cents isn't worth much. I doubt you've seen the PP2's wheels in person, & on the car. The over-all package is a win/win.

When I order mine, I will have a new set of tires waiting, to swap out the cup2's. Those will be for the track, not the street.

:ford:
I have actually seen one in person and I still think the GT350 offerings are much better IMO. You do you bud, but no need to be offended because someone else doesn't see the value....
Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
I think the PP2 wheels are the best looking OEM wheels I've seen on a Mustang. You do realize the PP2 is only $810 retail more than a comparable PP1 with Magneride. Throw a wheel upgrade on the PP1 and you are more than the PP2. Not to mention the front splitter, a better looking lip spoiler, free cloth Recaros, different tuned brakes, suspension, and EPAS, larger front and rear sway bars, heavier duty front knuckles. No, I can't see any reason why to get the PP2.

And, try driving those SC2's in the rain and report back to us. Those tires were meant for one thing and one thing only (and it sure isn't daily street driving).
Unfortunately the cloth Recaros are no longer thrown in the deal.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I would also understand if the OP meant that they wanted a new set for that purpose. Also the GT350R has quite a few differences over the standard GT350, mounds more than a PP1 vs PP2.
It has the same tires, I wasn't talking about anything else. Most people don't want to replace a set quarterly so my argument was completely valid.

OP
OP

Mhjr74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKS, Ford Explorer
This car will not be a daily driver but there may be times that I get caught in the rain and, as has been previously stated, the Cup 2s are terrible in the rain. I want a tire that will perform well on the track, on winding back roads, on city streets, and on occasion in the rain.

[MENTION=21673]Cardude99[/MENTION], I am learning toward the Michelin PS4S.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
So is the pp2 difference just wheel/tire, magna-ride and thicker sway bars. ..over a pp1?

Sponsored

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
I think the PP2 wheels are the best looking OEM wheels I've seen on a Mustang. You do realize the PP2 is only $810 retail more than a comparable PP1 with Magneride. Throw a wheel upgrade on the PP1 and you are more than the PP2. Not to mention the front splitter, a better looking lip spoiler, free cloth Recaros, different tuned brakes, suspension, and EPAS, larger front and rear sway bars, heavier duty front knuckles. No, I can't see any reason why to get the PP2.

And, try driving those SC2's in the rain and report back to us. Those tires were meant for one thing and one thing only (and it sure isn't daily street driving).
Those guys have rocks in their heads, or can't add, or both. If they can't see the value in the PP2, their loss. :headbonk: don't know why they think they need to rain on someone else's parade though. Sour grapes I guess. :shrug:

In addition to the parts you stated above, I was reading the magneride cars also have the GT350 knuckles and bearings, so basically the entire suspension of the GT350 on the PP2 cars. :headbang:

Best $810 I *ever* spent on an option. :thumbsup:

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
I'd argue the tires are 80% of the package. It's your car though. If you don't plan on tracking it and just want to buy it because you can tell people you have a PP2 then put whatever tires you want on it.
Yup. All you need to do is slap some cup 2s on your GT and you'll be laying down GT350 lap times. :crazy:

Ace21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1
This car will not be a daily driver but there may be times that I get caught in the rain and, as has been previously stated, the Cup 2s are terrible in the rain. I want a tire that will perform well on the track, on winding back roads, on city streets, and on occasion in the rain.

[MENTION=21673]Cardude99[/MENTION], I am learning toward the Michelin PS4S.
Yeah the Michelin PS4S hold up pretty good in the rain, even heavy rain, from what I have experienced so far and we get quite a lot where I live.

Ace21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1
Yup. All you need to do is slap some cup 2s on your GT and you'll be laying down GT350 lap times. :crazy:
Why are you so hostile about the subject? If we are comparing the "value" then you need to understand what you really are getting.

-Sure you get an abs extended plane splitter that will give you a minimal sub 50lbs of downforce that will do little to nothing for you in most arenas.

-"Stiffer sway bars". Do you have a clue about race setups? "Stiff is slow, loose is fast" The PP1 has plenty in terms of corner stiffness and when equipped with magneride, it is almost too stiff in "Track" mode as is. This to me is an add on to give a more stiff "feel" rather than any actual measurable performance in the events that most PP cars will be used. This should have been better subframe bushings or something along those lines instead IMO.

-"Stronger knuckles" they are the same from the PP1 W/magneride, the PP2, and GT350, however, the springs are supposedly different which could be worth something.

-Brakes are the same, however, the ABS, EPAS and Magneride modules have special "Track mode" tuning apparently, which could be awesome once someone could show that it gives measurable performance.

-The rims and tires are a great upgrade in terms of performance, but I simply stated the rims are not my cup of tea, but the tires in performance terms are sick.

As for the comment of throwing Cup2s on a PP1 car, sure with Magneride and some GT350 size wheels and rubber, you might be surprised at how much just the mechanical grip alone will boost lap times. Don't get caught in gimmicks, anyone serious about racing one of these will realize that they will need to ditch most of the packages offerings for more track oriented parts to maximize the platforms potential.

The bottom line is if you have a PP2 car, then cool, but IMO Ford should have given you more to stand it closer to the GT350 and further from the PP1. Now if they would have trown the Tremec in there then that with all those goodies then I think it would really be worth it!

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
Why are you so hostile about the subject? If we are comparing the "value" then you need to understand what you really are getting.

-Sure you get a abs extended plane splitter that will give you a minimal sub 50lbs of down force that will do little to nothing for you in most arenas.

-"Stiffer sway bars". Do you have a clue about race setups? "Stiff is slow, loose is fast" The PP1 has plenty in terms of corner stiffness and when equiped with magneride, it is almost too stiff in "Track" mode as is. This to me is on add to give a more stiff "feel" rather than any actual measurable performance in the events that most PP cars will be used. This should have been better subframe bushings or something along those lines instead IMO.

-"stronger knuckles" they are the same from the PP1 W/magneride, the PP2, and GT350, however, the springs are supposedly different which could be worth something.

-brakes are the same, however, the ABS, EPAS and Magneride modules have special "Track mode" tuning apparently, which could be awesome once someone could show that it give measurable performance.

-the rims and tires are great upgrade in terms of performance, but I simply stated the rims are not my cup of tea, the tires in performance terms are sick.

As for the comment of throwing Cup2s on a PP1 car, sure with Magneride and some GT350 size wheels and rubber, you might be surprised at much just the mechanical grip will boost lap times. Don't get caught in gimmicks, anyone serious about racing one of these will ditch most of the packages offerings for more track oriented parts.

The bottom line is if you have a PP2 car, then cool, but IMO Ford should have given you more to stand it closer to the GT350 and further from the PP1. Now if they would have trown the Tremec in there then that with all those goodies then I think it would really be worth it!
I mearly made a statement as ludicrous as the one I replied to.

I know exactly what I have. I drive it regularly. Those that don't can only speculate. Check out the two published articles on the PP2. It's leagues better than a PP1.

If I seem hostile, maybe it's because I'm tired of hearing from guys with GTs and PP1s tell me a car they have never driven ain't all that. Yup, no value in that extra $810 I spent on it. You don't have a clue.

Sponsored

Ace21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1
If I seem hostile, maybe it's because I'm tired of hearing from guys with GTs and PP1s tell me a car they have never driven ain't all that. Yup, no value in that extra $810 I spent on it. You don't have a clue.
Everyone will have opinions.... i don't understand why everyone gets so up in arms about it. Just because I don't see the value being there doesn't make your decision, or anyone else's, to get one invalid so why get offended?

We are all here because we love the platform and to discuss it right?

As for the comparison of the PP1 vs the PP2 on track, sure $810 is a hell of a deal for the mechanical grip that you get just from tire and rim size and I would hope that it would beat the smaller rim and tire...

P.s. I do love the OF!

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
Everyone will have opinions.... i don't understand why everyone gets so up in arms about it. Just because I don't see the value being there doesn't make your decision, or anyone else's, to get one invalid so why get offended?

We are all here because we love the platform and to discuss it right?

As for the comparison of the PP1 vs the PP2 on track, sure $810 is a hell of a deal for the mechanical grip that you get just from tire and rim size and I would hope that it would beat the smaller rim and tire...

P.s. I do love the OF!
Hey it's all good. Some opinions are informed, and some are not. I'm offering the perspective of someone who actually drives a PP2.

Someone crapped on the OPs decision to order a PP2, I crapped on their uninformed, uninvited opinion. Not being hostile, just flipping the script and providing information for anyone who may be considering a PP2.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Sounds like the PP2 is leaps and bounds better than the PP1.

"On the track, the steering feel is superb, with absolutely linear chassis response, negligible body roll, and a reasonable sense of road-surface grip coming up through the wheel rim. This is thanks in part to Ford’s wise decision not to fit a variable-ratio steering rack. The car feels plenty nimble without it, and the feel is so much more natural. It also seems safe to say that the disconnectedness Lieberman and Bovington noted between the Perf Pack 1 GT’s front and rear suspension tuning has been exorcised along with that car’s tendency to “roll over on itself."

"But when I asked the team how much quicker the Perf Pack 2 was relative to the 1 around Streets of Willow Springs (they’ve tested the car at lots of tracks), the answer was “Between 2.5 and 3.0 seconds”"

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford...6F53F755634FC126522EAB2C8C7A99EAE16BE94AA8861

As for the tires, my guess is many will be doing the same. Why anyone would blow through the SP2 tires and waste them on the street is beyond me. If it were me, I'd spec out some PS4 tires and get them on there ASAP. They will offer plenty enough traction for the street...especially with fat wheels to match.

Infidex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT w/ Tremor Package (PP2)
Bridgestone pole position tires. Put them on my PP2 in late January and love them. Have almost 2k miles on them now. 305/30/19 on all fours. No regrets. The SC2s sitting in my garage.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The PPL2 is way more than the tires. I like the overall setup of the car, I just don't want the Cup 2s.
So get the same size in a different model tire. I suspect that Michelin's PS4S will change the handling "feel" the least.

A 30-profile tire is not supposed to have much 'bulge' to its sidewalls when mounted. For a 305/30, going half an inch narrower down to 10.5" (the recommended minimum) isn't going to change the look enough to matter.

Norm
Sponsored