Sponsored

HELP ME! Guru needed. Whipple running like poo. SOLVED!

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, M6, Triple Yellow
Help! I am having an issue with my car that I simply cannot pin down. The Whipple has been installed for a few months and everything was fine until about 2 weeks ago.

On a WOT run, the engine started to misfire at about 6500 RPM and threw a P0300 random misfire code. I cleared the code and it did not repeat at first. The code is NOT the result of a bad crank relearn. Misfire is actually occurring.

I did, however, notice the car seemed down on power slightly. Over the next week, the problem got progressively worse. Now she won't rev over 4000 RPM at WOT. It coughs, spits, backfires through intake, pings slightly and misfires badly. This is sometimes accompanied by whitish gray smoke from exhaust. Mainly out the left side.

Things seem to have started to get worse after Mantic clutch install, but I do not think this is at all related. I mention it because it's a data point. I did a crank profile relearn after installation.

I also notice the exhaust sound sounds differently at light throttle and idle. It's like one or more cylinders are firing weakly.

I have tried numerous tests to try an pin down what is causing this. Here's what I know:

1) Compression check shows 230-240 psi on all cylinders.
2) Leakdown test shows almost no pressure drop.
3) Injectors removed, cleaned and flow tested. All are good.
4) Spark plus replaced. Gapped at 0.030"
5) Coils tested. All are throwing good spark.
6) KOER and KOEO tests pass.
7) Mode $06 data shows misfire counts on all cylinders after WOT. Highest count on cylinder 8
8) Checked for vacuum leaks including intake manifold. All good.
9) Checked SC bypass valve. Works fine.
10) Removed SC and manifold to check for issues and reinstalled/retorqued. No issues found.
11) Checked fuel pressure at idle and WOT. Reads 58-60 psi at all times.
12) PCM throws no codes except for P0300 at WOT and once threw Bank 2 catalyst efficiency code.
13) Plugs all look fine and are more or less identically colored.
14) No apparent coolant loss.
15) Bank 1 and Bank 2 LTFT are dramatically different. Bank 1 is +10-12%. Bank 1 is about -2%. If I remember correctly they both used to be around +10%.
16) Car seems to run well for about 45 seconds after a cold start before the engine sound changes to the slight misfire sound. Thinking this a closed loop issue I tried disconnecting both front O2 sensors to force open loop. Did not make any difference.
17) Intake tube clamps are secure and nothing is leaking.
18) Intake tube and MAF are visibly clean.
19) Idle vacuum is good. 18 inHg.
20) SC builds boost properly.
21) Thinking bad gas I Ran tank dry twice and refilled twice from different stations. I also took a fuel sample during the FP test. Fuel shows no evidence of staleness or water contamination.
22) No mode $06 misfire counts during light throttle when I can feel a slight miss.
23) Did cylinder balance test by pulling one coil at a time. Bank 1 seems strong: when a coil is unplugged it makes a big difference. bank 2 seems a bit more subtle. Especially cylinder 6. Pulling that coil makes only a slight difference.

I am completely out of ideas... HELP ME! A bottle of the liquor of your choice gets shipped to he who knows what will fix this!!!

John
Sponsored

Last edited:

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
So it ran like shit, and you decided to put a clutch in it? What do you mean it "seems worse after clutch install"

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Kitty Cat shit the bed? Those LTFT's should be very similar, and shouldn't be 10%. Tune is off quite a bit if it needs to correct fueling that much. What's AFR idling, and WOT?

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Yep sounds like u have a bad cat convertor.Check.exhaust back pressure.

Sponsored

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
When my number 6 cyl went out it showed good compression because oil.and coolant was sealing the rings,I let the car run for about 5 mins to burn all the crap out of that cyl and when I re did the test it was at 100.

OP
OP

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Who's tune? Are you data logging what is going on at the time?
Stock Whipple tune. Yes, I have many datalogs. What PIDs are you suggesting be looked at?

OP
OP

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
So it ran like shit, and you decided to put a clutch in it? What do you mean it "seems worse after clutch install"
It ran more or less OK most of the time before the clutch. I suspected something was amiss but couldn't really put my finger on what was different.

OP
OP

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
When my number 6 cyl went out it showed good compression because oil.and coolant was sealing the rings,I let the car run for about 5 mins to burn all the crap out of that cyl and when I re did the test it was at 100.
I will try that. What was the cause of your #6 issue?

John

Sponsored
OP
OP

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
I will check. You might have earned yourself a bottle!

Pincushin3819

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Paxton GT
This was what I was going to suggest, I had a cat go bad on my LS3 with a TVS & the back pressure caused it to run like complete crap. Added cat delete & it was another animal. Your car not going above 4k prob saved your motor.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=9456]Tommy V[/MENTION] don't get no bottle! I was first. hehe
Yes sir u was,don't think they caught on to the kity cat though lol.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
I will try that. What was the cause of your #6 issue?

John
Not 100% sure so I will not say,the 4.75 pulley was making a lot more boost then I thought,enough that now I have a 4.88 and would not run the 4.75 on 93 Oct again.
Sponsored