Sponsored

HELP ME! Guru needed. Whipple running like poo. SOLVED!

OP
OP

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, M6, Triple Yellow
Got bored so I cut open the cat with my horizontal bandsaw...

Pics below. The hole is what I chipped out to get the car running good.
20171025_200947.jpg
20171025_200816.jpg
20171025_200907.jpg
20171025_201357.jpg
Sponsored

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Hey man not sure if i.understood what u was saying but I would not drive the car with one side having the cat in and the other side out.Unless u were saying u was just going to leave the good side in until u get a new cat for the other side.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Got bored so I cut open the cat with my horizontal bandsaw...

Pics below. The hole is what I chipped out to get the car running good.

My heart rate went thru the roof having high flow cats myself.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
The only question that now remains is what grenaded the cat? Fluke bad part failure, or caused by something gone wrong in the tune/blower setup. Beating the snot out of it boosted could/would do it, but if an actual tune/hardware problem caused it you're just going to do it again.

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
The only question that now remains is what grenaded the cat? Fluke bad part failure, or caused by something gone wrong in the tune/blower setup. Beating the snot out of it boosted could/would do it, but if an actual tune/hardware problem caused it you're just going to do it again.
The cat's aren't designed to handle the power and heat associated with forced induction. That's why most go with an offroad setup when they switch to forced induction.

Sponsored

cdq85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Boostey Pants
The cat's aren't designed to handle the power and heat associated with forced induction. That's why most go with an offroad setup when they switch to forced induction.
Not disputing that at all, but how often do you see this issue? Doesn't seem like a ton of guys have had the issue or at least that I've seen on the forum here. Just curious.

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not disputing that at all, but how often do you see this issue? Doesn't seem like a ton of guys have had the issue or at least that I've seen on the forum here. Just curious.
I really don't see much of it on here specific to the S500 but remember that the people that post on here are just a small fraction of those who own these cars and modify them.

There's a lot more people out there who aren't active on forums that we don't here from.

With that said over the last 13 years in the industry I can say that my experience is that cats don't last long with forced induction setups. That goes for factory cats as well as many of the aftermarket offerings.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
I really don't see much of it on here specific to the S5500 but remember that the people that post on here are just a small fraction of those who own these cars and modify them.

There's a lot more people out there who aren't active on forums that we don't here from.

With that said over the last 13 years in the industry I can say that my experience is that cats don't last long with forced induction setups. That goes for factory cats as well as many of the aftermarket offerings.

Hope that helps.
Any cat? Stock cats only? What about high-flow cats in long tubes? I am stuck with NYS inspection plus I don't want to needlessly pollute for 10 more HP.

John

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any cat? Stock cats only? What about high-flow cats in long tubes? I am stuck with NYS inspection plus I don't want to needlessly pollute for 10 more HP.

John
Stock or aftermarket will eventually go in my opinion. It may be a while or can happen quicker. It just depends on how hard you drive the car. The more heat and abuse they see the more chance you have of them going.

smokinzx14r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT A6 3.55 Gears ..
I had my cats go bad at the track .. I made 3 quick hot laps and on the 3 pass the cats blew out the tail pipes ( both sides ) .. I was oh shit I blew the motor but it was still running fine back in the pits .. I asked my buddy what the smoke out the pipes smelled like when I left the starting line ( he was behind my car at that time) He said it smelled like rotten Eggs .. At that point I knew I killed the cats . I fixed the problem by adding the Mac Cat deletes ...

Sponsored

rio16

MAD_50HH
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rio
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Whippled Competition Orange
I went with O/R Kooks long tubes and still on Whipple emissions tune. =)

OP
OP

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
realistically how bad is the smell in these cars on 93 with no cats when you're driving around? I had a fox with no cars and it smelled like gas in and around the car.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
realistically how bad is the smell in these cars on 93 with no cats when you're driving around? I had a fox with no cars and it smelled like gas in and around the car.
Hardly at all noticable. Yes you do notice, but it's nothing like the pig rich days of old.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Hardly at all noticable. Yes you do notice, but it's nothing like the pig rich days of old.
still debating it. I know a guy that works with GMs and says it isnt really worth much to go from cat to catless. Says that kooks green cats only creates a loss of less than a handful of horses.
Sponsored

Last edited: