Viking drag shock rattle update ..

smokinzx14r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT A6 3.55 Gears ..
I called Viking the other day to see if they had finished their update to the drag shocks ( rattle problem ) ... Viking sent me a new ( softer lower bushing ) ... I just install the yesterday , they include new softer bushing , new T Bar , washer and C clips .. Had to cut the old bushing out to remove it , the new softer bushing can be pushed in by hand .. Added the new washers a C clips and reinstalled the shock ..

First test ride NO more rattles ...My driveway is 100 feet long and real bumpy , so the old set up really rattled bad leaving or retuning home on my drive way .. Now she is rattle free ..:cheers: My car would also rattle at low speeds on roads that were lets say less the prefect .. That is all gone now ... Thanks Viking for fixing this problem ... Now on to fixing my driveline vibrations ...:frusty:
Sponsored

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Good stuff Lee!

Viking has been working non-stop on the rattle issues.

The issue is, the angle at which the S550 shocks work at through travel. I am sure you notice, but they are at a drastic angle in relation to the lower and upper mounts.

This is also a reason why rear shock failures seem to be somewhat common (all brands) and also a major reason why Viking has chosen to make a new shock design that features an upper shock mount integrated into it.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Good stuff Lee!

The issue is, the angle at which the S550 shocks work at through travel. I am sure you notice, but they are at a drastic angle in relation to the lower and upper mounts.

This is also a reason why rear shock failures seem to be somewhat common (all brands) and also a major reason why Viking has chosen to make a new shock design that features an upper shock mount integrated into it.

Yeah I noticed this too when I installed the first set of rear shocks for a forum member. I instantly thought to myself these lower mount bushings are going to fail or at least make noise. I must have taken them out and put them back in half a dozen times thinking I did something wrong. I think a spherical bearing on the bottom mount would be the best choice and leave the noise isolation to the top mount.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I just got some viking crusader shocks. havent installed them yet is this something i should do before installing?

Nerass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Premium GT
hmm so this is available to anyone? thought I was sol lol

Sponsored

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Anyone who has the noise, should contact them and ask for them

Nerass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Premium GT
great thanks!

OP
OP
smokinzx14r

smokinzx14r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT A6 3.55 Gears ..
Good stuff Lee!

Kelly is right on point ..The shock angle is really bad , it's the worst when the shock is fully extended ..The softer rubber bushing allows the shock to not be in as much of a bind as the harder bushing ..:thumbsup:

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
couldnt they make a shock mount the moves this into a better angle?

rio16

MAD_50HH
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rio
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Whippled Competition Orange
Email Mr. Neuman and replied quick. Cant wait to get it sorted out. Thanks for this thread.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
couldnt they make a shock mount the moves this into a better angle?

The factory suspension geometry does not allow the shock to extend and compress in a straight line but rather moves in an arc.

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
Kelly get them to make front shocks that aren't coilover!!!

rio16

MAD_50HH
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rio
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Whippled Competition Orange

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The factory suspension geometry does not allow the shock to extend and compress in a straight line but rather moves in an arc.
The issue is if you're looking at the car from the side. The shock has to rotate on that plane and thus twist up that bottom bushing to get into place. Same happens with the top mount, which is why going to a spherical bearing up there produces the results for ride that it does. Bearing on top and bottom would work best.

Stang-15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I've had the Viking shocks for more than a year, and they rattled since day one. After seeing this thread, I contacted Viking and got the new parts. Went for a road trip today, and the new parts definitely eliminated the rattling! Thank you OP for posting this information.
Sponsored