Sponsored

Recent Procharger Install Concerns

KSU Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver 400A Fastback
Hey guys, did some searching in the threads, but didn't find much that addresses my experience, so I thought I'd open a new thread to see what folks thought.

About 3 weeks ago I installed a Procharger Stage II kit with the P1-X head, no race valve. I also replaced the stock plugs with NGK Iridium IX gapped at .35 as recommended in the installation book from Procharger. The car otherwise has no other mods. This entire time I've been running with the tune provided by Procharger. I took the car to a local shop for a dyno-tune, but they reported back that they felt the tune provided by Procharger was spot on. I also asked them to look the car over to check my handy work (since I installed the kit myself over the weekend) and everything checked out. With all that being said, here are my main issues:

1) Rough start - It sputters almost every time the ignition button is pressed, with the car evening out after the first few seconds, but it has died a few times. Once it does even it out, the car idles steady at roughly .75K rpms

2) There is a rich fuel smell when stopped and idling, I've checked around the fuel rails and injectors, no sight of leaks.

3) On cold starts, there seems to be some sort of lag or belt slipping, especially noticeable in lower gears around the 2k RPM range, power seems to be now where to be found and then comes on strong, which makes for a very unpleasant driving experience.

FWIW, the car is putting down ~595 rwhp and 500 ft/lb. Running on 93 octane.

Any help / advice would be much appreciated!
Sponsored

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
Procharger manual states 35 plug gap? That's a little big, I gapped to 28

Chummel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
re-gap to .28-.30

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
My car also smelt rich on the PC tune.

Gave up on their attempts to remedy my tune and went with a custom tune. Car ran like a dream from day 1 on the custom tune.

Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
I'd ask if you were down in my area, but the 93 octane is a dead give away:(.

MyLilPony

Naw It's Stock
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT, 18 JLUR, 15 JK
not sure if the S2 kit comes with injectors and a BAP, does it? Is the start issue present at cold start only, hot start only or both? There was a hot start issue a while back but that issue has been worked out by most tunerss by now. I would assume PC has done the same but maybe not; im unsure of how often they revise their base tune.

Smell and weird boost hit could be plug issue, re-gap to .28/.30 like other mentioned. Did you have an intake prior to installing the PC kit? If not you may just be getting a whiff of something new. Mine smells like fuel all the time but vented PCV and no cats will do that :)

PC is extremely linear in the building of boost. You shouldn't have a "hit" unless you drop a gear and stab it... Might want to check the tension of your belt to be sure. Feel free to post a pic of your hash marks and you will get feedback from folks here.

If non of that helps....Lund....

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah plugs are an issue. any tuner that says the pc tune is right on doesn't want to do the work to improve upon it. Get a custom dyno tune and your car will be on cloud nine.

OP
OP
KSU Stang

KSU Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver 400A Fastback
not sure if the S2 kit comes with injectors and a BAP, does it? Is the start issue present at cold start only, hot start only or both? There was a hot start issue a while back but that issue has been worked out by most tunerss by now. I would assume PC has done the same but maybe not; im unsure of how often they revise their base tune.

Smell and weird boost hit could be plug issue, re-gap to .28/.30 like other mentioned. Did you have an intake prior to installing the PC kit? If not you may just be getting a whiff of something new. Mine smells like fuel all the time but vented PCV and no cats will do that :)

PC is extremely linear in the building of boost. You shouldn't have a "hit" unless you drop a gear and stab it... Might want to check the tension of your belt to be sure. Feel free to post a pic of your hash marks and you will get feedback from folks here.

If non of that helps....Lund....
The kit does come with injectors. The start issue seems to be unrelated to hot or cold starts, mostly random, with the "clean" starts coming few and far between. I am in Kansas so the weather varies ALOT. I am certainly going to start with re-gap down to .28-.30 as that seems to be the consensus.

I did not have an intake or other tune prior. Everything I've done so far has been cosmetic and finally pulled the trigger on something big. I'll supply a few pics of the belt/tension here shortly.

Sponsored

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
3) On cold starts, there seems to be some sort of lag or belt slipping, especially noticeable in lower gears around the 2k RPM range, power seems to be now where to be found and then comes on strong, which makes for a very unpleasant driving experience.
This sounds like the classic procharger surge.

MyLilPony

Naw It's Stock
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
This sounds like the classic procharger surge.
Surge is bucking and not Procharger related but Tune related hence the fight over which tuner does a better job getting rid of it. Since he didn’t say it jumps like a redneck to a cousin kissing contest I am gonna say it’s not surge.

Oh OP: if your going WOT under 3k you’re doing it wrong. Not good for the motor; don’t expect much till about 3500 from your PC.

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
Surge is bucking and not Procharger related but Tune related hence the fight over which tuner does a better job getting rid of it. Since he didn’t say it jumps like a redneck to a cousin kissing contest I am gonna say it’s not surge.

Oh OP: if your going WOT under 3k you’re doing it wrong. Not good for the motor; don’t expect much till about 3500 from your PC.
I'd say that what he's experiencing might be a milder version...but related.

MyLilPony

Naw It's Stock
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
I'd say that what he's experiencing might be a milder version...but related.
Could be, my bet is all issues disappear with plugs and a legit tune.

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
Could be, my bet is all issues disappear with plugs and a legit tune.
Wasn't the surge tune related in the PC tune?
Sponsored