6R80 Transmission Oil Temp

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Sometimes when my car is warming up and CHTs and engine oil temp are at operating temp but the transmission oil temp is still low, my engine will stumble going from 1st to 2nd. The car stops accelerating for a second and then catches up with itself.

Is this normal to occur? When my transmission oil gets up to operating temp this is not a problem. How long do you automatic guys wait before getting heavier on the throttle? Is this just a case where I have to take it easy until the tranny oil gets fully heated up?

Just wondering if anyone has noticed this. I have a Lund tune and it shifts hard and I think the abrupt shifts while the tranny is still warming up kind of shocks it causing what I described. I recall experiencing this sometimes on other tunes I've had as well.

Thanks.
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Normally when the transmission is warming up, it will try to avoid locking the torque converter to heat the oil up because the line pressure is high when the oil is cold.

Commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Sometimes when my car is warming up and CHTs and engine oil temp are at operating temp but the transmission oil temp is still low, my engine will stumble going from 1st to 2nd. The car stops accelerating for a second and then catches up with itself.

Is this normal to occur? When my transmission oil gets up to operating temp this is not a problem. How long do you automatic guys wait before getting heavier on the throttle? Is this just a case where I have to take it easy until the tranny oil gets fully heated up?

Just wondering if anyone has noticed this. I have a Lund tune and it shifts hard and I think the abrupt shifts while the tranny is still warming up kind of shocks it causing what I described. I recall experiencing this sometimes on other tunes I've had as well.

Thanks.
could be your tune.

i run the lund 91 tune and it's definitely shifts harder when cold vs once warmed up. i'm pretty light on the throttle anyway as you want to wait til your oil temps are up before getting into it.

open a ticket with lund and see what they say. you could also ask them to load the same engine tune and leave the transmission tuning stock and see if the problem occurs, or even just flash back to stock and see if it does it.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
The trans definitely takes way longer to warm up than the engine. I usually wait until 140F trans temp till I get on it and 160F till I go WOT. Takes a good 10-15 min of light driving till it gets there I'd say.

Mine shifts abruptly/firmly at any temp depending on throttle. Part throttle definitely makes it shift more abruptly and rocks the car though.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Just drive in normal mode til she warms up, then switch to sport or sport+ ..
Sponsored