Sponsored

"upgrading" to gt350 axles.

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
The passenger side axles are damn near the same size. The CV joint seems bigger. I ran into a snag and can't get the drivers side out...

Use two pry bars placed opposite each other and pry both together at the same time if you haven't already. I wasn't able to pop them out with one pry bar alone. When I used two tire spoons, the halfshafts popped out easily.
Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
The passenger side axles are damn near the same size. The CV joint seems bigger. I ran into a snag and can't get the drivers side out...
Isn't that the broken side? Loan a tool - slide hammer and axle puller. It'll get it out. Advance / Autozone / O Reilly should have it.

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
damn just seen this post .i didnt even know we could use gt350 axles.guess for the price ill be going this route,im s/c but stage 1 670hp and have no plans to go higher . so far my stock ones are holding nice with 20k miles on them. but ill replace them next spring with these

OP
OP
armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
Isn't that the broken side? Loan a tool - slide hammer and axle puller. It'll get it out. Advance / Autozone / O Reilly should have it.
I ended up having to pull the differential to use it. Mangled up the axle seals in the mean time..

OP
OP

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
The passenger side axles are almost identical. The CV cup are slightly bigger, hardly noticeable and that's about it. The axle diameter is within a few mils.

Now the driver's side is very interesting. The middle section of the stock axles is larger than the gt350 axle, roughly an 1/8 of an inch. However, where the stock axle necks down, it's slightly more than a 1/4 inch thinner than the gt350 axle. The gt350 axle doesn't have a neck down. The CV cups are much larger too. I'll post pics shortly.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
You can see the big difference between the two.
FB_IMG_1512166634598.jpg
FB_IMG_1512166620619.jpg

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
^yep, this.
the increased diameter prevented me from running my JRZ shocks inverted with coilover springs, due to the GT350 axle interference with the lower spring perch. other than that, they have been a worthy successor to my fragile stock GT axles for the increased power and grip levels i compete with.

OP
OP

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
^yep, this.
the increased diameter prevented me from running my JRZ shocks inverted with coilover springs, due to the GT350 axle interference with the lower spring perch. other than that, they have been a worthy successor to my fragile stock GT axles for the increased power and grip levels i compete with.
Were you breaking the driver's side at the hub?

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
Anyone break a set of these at the drag strip? Just curious. I like to go one or twice a year but my stockers broke the boot on the road course this year and sprayed grease all over the knuckle and inside of the wheel. Was a smoke show cause it also sprayed all over the muffler. Thought I was on fire.
I don't think these will be much of an upgrade for high power and drag guys with sticky tires. Normal power levels, slightly.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
Anyone break a set of these at the drag strip? Just curious. I like to go one or twice a year but my stockers broke the boot on the road course this year and sprayed grease all over the knuckle and inside of the wheel. Was a smoke show cause it also sprayed all over the muffler. Thought I was on fire.
None that I'm aware of. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened. Even if these break, I won't be mad.

I plan in getting a different alignment and taking some camber out. I think one of the issues is when the car squats, you have even more camber and put the CV joint at the hub in more of a bind.

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
So these will fit a 17 performance pack manual car with the torsen rear. 3.37 diff. Getting clicking and popping a tiny bit

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think these will be much of an upgrade for high power and drag guys with sticky tires. Normal power levels, slightly.
Well the truth is - at higher power levels - there is ALWAYS going to be weak link. I guess the question comes down to what you'd rather have to replace when it lets go. That's been true for the thirty years I've been breaking, I mean fixing...vehicles that hit the strip a fair amount.

Right now, for me, my weak link even at my relatively low V6 power levels, the weak link is the factory clutch and more to the point the factory dual mass flywheel. I've got a Spec flywheel and clutch ready to go.

RUBY RED 550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang GT
I HAVE A 10 SPEED AUTO WITH 814 TO THE WHEEL ( PER DYNOJET) AND I HAVE HAD GT350 AXELS ON THIS CAR FOR 2 MONTHS , AND ON MY PREVIUOS RUBY RED EDELBROCK S/C CAR WITH 701 HP, AND GT350 AXELS WITH HOOSIER DRAG RADIALS, AND HAVE NOT BROOKE ONE YET. IMO ITS A BIG OL LIE . THESE $1500 AXEL I BELEIVE ARE ONLY NEEDED WHEN MAKING IN THE QUAD DIGITS AND TRANS BREAK. BUT ITS JUST MY 2 CENTS .

ALLKHEINZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
FWIW if your having a shop swap halfshafts the labor cost is the same regardless of which ones you put in, i would put in the dss 2000hp halfshafts the moment i broke a stock one rather then screwing around with a gt350 version that might only be just a bit better then stock...
Sponsored