corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I've seen, and I'll bet most of us here have, many drivers that shouldn't even be on the road. If this new fangled stuff will help keep these morons from hurting a innocent person then I say "good".
If that's all it did, that'd be one thing. But it also has its own potential for creating yet more morons as people come to rely on it to a greater extent than they should. You know that's going to happen . . .

I ordered the safe, and smart package on the wife's '18 for different reasons. First her's is a Vert, and the blind spot is two fold that of a coupe. But, the main reason is she has limited mobility in her neck from a horrible wreck years ago. She can't turn her neck all the way to the left. So, the cross traffic and blind spot will be of great help to her.
Understood, and she has my sympathy. As an aid for those even mildly handicapped like that, it represents a true improvement in the 'quality of life'.

Norm
Sponsored

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
The more and more electronics components are added, it’s not only raising the MSRP or cost of vehicles, but is also going to raise insurance premiums due to the cost to replace any such damaged components from a wreck repair to a total loss claim...

It’s not that vehicle manufacturers are competing with each other to have the most safety gadgets or nannies as some say, that stuff is being pushed by the Feds and being made to be requirements in new vehicles. Some manufactures are quicker than others with getting the requirements fulfilled and into their products BEFORE any mandated deadlines by the Govt.

I’m sure folks will figure out how to Forscan any of the intrusive nannies out...
Actually, it should lower the premiums. When we bought the wife's explorer as we were adding it to our policy they told us our premium would have been cheaper if it had any of those added safety features

limited02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost
My wife has a '15 Honda CR-V Touring with all the safety tech and we love it. I found it superior to the '16 Lincoln MKC I had as a rental with the same tech, so Ford has some improvements to do.

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
I drove a Nissan Rouge all last week on spring break and it had all the safety nannies - lane keeping, speed sense (beeped if you went 5mph over GPS/Navi measured speed), BLISS, etc, etc. I HATED it, damn thing beeped at you ever 2 min, to the point that you just started ignoring them and they became worthless. The only thing I like is the Blind Spot detection (My '16 GT has that) otherwise turn them all off.....

boxstang40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 lx hatch
Blind spot is the only important feature to me, but im fine with the small blind spot mirror in the top corner. People on motorcycles appreciate those mirrors, ive been cut off enough times to know.

Sponsored

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
Might not be the popular thing to say around here, but in my job I see how inattentive and unskilled much of the general public is when it comes to driving. It might take some getting used to but IF this helps the roads to become safer, I'm all for it.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
If all these features are as effective at pulling less-than-fully-attentive drivers back to the business of driving, or actively covering for their inattention, they'll also have the potential for being distractions themselves for those who do maintain attention. For example, do I really need a BLIS warning when I've already checked for vehicles around me?

I know I don't want my driving skills dumbed down to some lowest-common-denominator level, that being the inevitable end result.

Norm

justme97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LB Ecoboost 6mt pony pack vert, 06 EB Explorer
If all these features are as effective at pulling less-than-fully-attentive drivers back to the business of driving, or actively covering for their inattention, they'll also have the potential for being distractions themselves for those who do maintain attention. For example, do I really need a BLIS warning when I've already checked for vehicles around me?

I know I don't want my driving skills dumbed down to some lowest-common-denominator level, that being the inevitable end result.

Norm
The inevitable result is that we won't be allowed to participate at all, not on the highways anyways (caddy already has a car that drives itself on the highway). I think this is why these otherwise sought after features bug mustang owners.
Still I would rather the car driving behind my loved ones was programmed to not ram into them.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I wonder who at Uber will be charged with manslaughter. I guess the team of people who did the programming should be the ones going to jail - more than likely this is their fault. I suppose the argument could be made that the government officials in AZ who allowed Uber to test on the streets are the real villains here.

Interesting to me how many times the fact that she wasn't in a crosswalk was mentioned in the article. The media really is pushing the autonomous cars. Would they have written the article the same way if it were a human being driving the car?

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I drove my Accord today to get PPF and Tint put on it. The safety features actually work extremely well, better than Mazda's in my opinion. Adaptive cruise works perfectly, and my new favorite feature is the brake hold at stoplights. You no longer have to hold your foot on the brake and it eases off perfectly when you accelerate. The HUD is crisp and clear, navigation is outstanding. The car is really living up to its reviews.

The features are only going to get better, but I can certainly live without them. There's some drivers that desperately need this stuff though.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The inevitable result is that we won't be allowed to participate at all, not on the highways anyways (caddy already has a car that drives itself on the highway). I think this is why these otherwise sought after features bug mustang owners.
IOW, dumb everybody down to mediocrity (at best), and while they're at it take some of the enjoyment out of life for those who like to drive.

Current TV advertising for Cadillac (and others) where the person sitting in the driver's seat is not being required to maintain attention or even keep their hands on the steering wheel completely disgusts me. I won't call the people in those portrayals 'drivers' because what they're doing not only falls far short of that, it encourages others that getting away with such slack behavior is something that they are entitled to. Wrong answer, driving with or without electronic assistance is still a privilege rather than an inalienable right.

Norm

sk8erord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Performance Pack
Just a thought, but if you put in nannies to cover for poor driving habits, won't that just give the lower end drivers the luxury to develop even worse habits? Imagine the pampered millennial driver jumping into a friend's car and killing someone: "But officer, the car didn't brake on its own for me!!!"

ETA: Seems the better route is tougher licensing and training requirements. Driving is a privilege, not a right. And tougher enforcement of stupidity, not just revenue generating enforcement.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I am all for autonomous short buses that move slow & methodically, that take the hapty-tards to whatever the destination they desire.

I am NOT for privately owned "passenger" autonomous vehicles. Single owners don't know/care about public safety and cant be bothered to drive, so they are not privileged drivers.

bluestang50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150, 2020 Explorer ST, 1990 Mustang GT turbo
Blind spot is the only important feature to me, but im fine with the small blind spot mirror in the top corner. People on motorcycles appreciate those mirrors, ive been cut off enough times to know.
Blind spot warning is the main feature I don't want. I prefer having the smaller spotter mirror. The blind spot monitor on my wife's explorer is hit or miss with picking up motorcycles.

320guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EB PP soon
Blind spot warning is the main feature I don't want. I prefer having the smaller spotter mirror. The blind spot monitor on my wife's explorer is hit or miss with picking up motorcycles.
I have blind spot in our RAV4, I also added a small rounded mirror, that combination works great.
Sponsored