Sponsored

Frozen windshield wiper lines

stevnoof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt base manual 3.31
So it's been pretty cold here in nj the past two days, is it normally for the windshield wiper fluid to not work? I'm thinking something is frozen somewhere in the system. I tried to fill up more fluid and it filled up all the way with barely any. I'm wondering if it turned into a block of ice or if the lines are frozen. The car was so cold when I started it up it revved over 1500rpm which never happens squeaking like hell smoke pouring out the exhaust and held it for several minutes until I finally put it in gear and let the clutch out to get it to drop.
Sponsored

65ffr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 Ram 1500, '65 FFR Cobra
I've had wiper fluid freeze before. Down here in TX they sell fluid in different grades, some is rated only to about 30C, some lower. Make sure your fluid is rated for the temp outside.

OP
OP

stevnoof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I picked up some -20*C not sure what was in it. Factory garbage fluid.

CM581978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future S550 Owner
Pep Boys or one of those chain strores sell wiper fluid which supposedly is good in the cold.

stageron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2559, Lexus NX300
You need the orange stuff, Rain X and Prestone make it. Cost you $5.00 per gallon but well worth it. It's the only stuff I use in the winter, 4 degrees here today and washer works fine.

Sponsored

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
Looks like im 2 towns over from Stageron and i have not had issue with the fluid i used this morning today. Regular blue stuff used a minute or two after startup in my sister's mercury sable. It did however want to freeze once it was on the windshield.

Were they working correctly after the car warmed up a bit?

Slyfox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver 2015 mustang
Might be frozen where the fluid come out at the windshield. If it has rained or snowed the small hole freezes shut, if that's case try a hair dryer to melt the ice from the hole

RegDir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT Premium w/ PP
Regs require low-voc ww fluid for sale during the warm months here in northeast. If you use it gotta make sure you replace it with the winter stuff or it'll freeze. I stock up on the rain-x orange, use it year round.

OP
OP

stevnoof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They have been out of commission for 2 days now

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Wiper Fluid

I buy both types of windshield washing fluid. The minimum temperature is usually stamped right on the front of the bottle. Your warmer temp fluid may stay liquid while in the reservoir and lines...but I have had the fluid instantly freeze as soon as it hit the windshield.
Here in Minnesota I start to use winter temp fluid starting in November. That way, I make sure that the fluid has already replaced the summer liquid by the time I need it.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I would never attempt to use the windshield washer fluid until the engine has warmed up enough to run the defroster. Usually by that time there is no issue. Was 19 degrees this morning with about 2" of snow on the ground. By the time I cleared the snow off my car and my girlfriend's car, the engine was warmed up and the washer fluid worked fine.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If the fluid level gets too low - the lines can freeze with any residual that was left in them and it's not going to get squeezed out the pinholes on the squirters. Also if the fluid got too low then the pump can freeze.

One other note:
If you take the car to a Dealer for any maintenance, if the Dealer is one that "tops off fluids" during their inspection process - *some dealers* will water down the washer fluid (or just use water) to save $$$ on supply costs. If the normal fluid is diluted with too much water it WILL freeze.

If you have started the car and let it idle for roughly 20 mins - that's more than enough to heat up the hoses and squirters. If you're still not getting any fluid after warm up - then your reservoir may have ice in it or pump is frozen. Pump sits lower than engine (heat rises), so it may take longer for pump to loosen up.

Couple other things you can try (if accessible) -
1) find reservoir, pump will be mounted at bottom. Use a hairdryer (or heat gun) and warm the pump and resevoir. Try the system again.

2) locate resevoir and bang on bottom of it to try and dislodge any debris or ice. Try system again.

IF you can't get it to work using all suggestions above - take it to Dealer.

mikef523

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang eco, 17 explorer, 17 Jaguar F-Pace
If the fluid level gets too low - the lines can freeze with any residual that was left in them and it's not going to get squeezed out the pinholes on the squirters. Also if the fluid got too low then the pump can freeze.

One other note:
If you take the car to a Dealer for any maintenance, if the Dealer is one that "tops off fluids" during their inspection process - *some dealers* will water down the washer fluid (or just use water) to save $$$ on supply costs. If the normal fluid is diluted with too much water it WILL freeze.

If you have started the car and let it idle for roughly 20 mins - that's more than enough to heat up the hoses and squirters. If you're still not getting any fluid after warm up - then your reservoir may have ice in it or pump is frozen. Pump sits lower than engine (heat rises), so it may take longer for pump to loosen up.

Couple other things you can try (if accessible) -
1) find reservoir, pump will be mounted at bottom. Use a hairdryer (or heat gun) and warm the pump and resevoir. Try the system again.

2) locate resevoir and bang on bottom of it to try and dislodge any debris or ice. Try system again.

IF you can't get it to work using all suggestions above - take it to Dealer.
What dealer do you know of that waters down the washer fluid to save money? I find it hard to believe that any dealer would do that in the colder climates. They are not that stupid. They know the repercussions that they would get from such an act. Customers would be "flocking" back in there to complain that their washer fluid has frozen. The cost of labor, and wasted time spent fixing the problem would far outweigh any costs they tried to save by watering down in the first place.

OP
OP

stevnoof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
been a couple days now. the temp warmed up to 60 today even though we had several inches of snow last night (global warming) and now the right nozzle is kinda squirting out some fluid the left one had a little dribble action going. Is it bad to keep activating the pump trying to get it to squirt? I think i'm just going to leave it alone until it really warms up here before I bring it to any dealership. I don't want them sniffing around my car to much.
Sponsored