Sponsored

Resale value, what happened???

Rubred50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 5.0 PP
I just checked KBB and the trade/resale values are unbelievable, especially for my specially ordered veh. MSRP on my car was 43360 in march 2015. KBB private sell is 34k & trade is 29k...wtf!! 10k drop in 8 months. This is very concerning for me. Gee, I will have to keep her based on those numbers. I have 10k on the car & it is loaded with the gtpp, ruby red ext. With redline interior/door inserts. Beautiful car!!! Dealer offered me 32k. Any of you have checked out your vehicle's values lately? You will be surprised/disappointed.:confused::tsk:
Sponsored

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
I just checked KBB and the trade/resale values are unbelievable, especially for my specially ordered veh. MSRP on my car was 43360 in march 2015. KBB private sell is 34k & trade is 29k...wtf!! 10k drop in 8 months. This is very concerning for me. Gee, I will have to keep her based on those numbers. I have 10k on the car & it is loaded with the gtpp, ruby red ext. With redline interior/door inserts. Beautiful car!!! Dealer offered me 32k. Any of you have checked out your vehicle's values lately? You will be surprised/disappointed.:confused::tsk:
That's very common for vehicles. A car isn't an investment.

OP
OP

Rubred50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 5.0 PP
That's very common for vehicles. A car isn't an investment.
They are as it relates to quality of life..peace of mind. Some cars over the years have appreciated and are considered investments. But 13k in depreciation over 8 months is incomprehensible!:frusty:

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
They are as it relates to quality of life..peace of mind. Some cars over the years have appreciated. But 13k in depreciation over 8 months is incomprehensible!:frusty:
That is even being generous. Most Automobiles lose 25-35% of their value in 12 months. There are only a handful of vehicles that are valued the way you are thinking.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
I just checked KBB and the trade/resale values are unbelievable, especially for my specially ordered veh. MSRP on my car was 43360 in march 2015. KBB private sell is 34k & trade is 29k...wtf!! 10k drop in 8 months. This is very concerning for me. Any of you have checked out your vehicle's values lately? You will be surprised/disappointed.:confused::tsk:
have you never bought a new car before? lol

the second you drive it off the lot you're 5k in the hole...

and no not surprised it's a fact of life.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rubred50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 5.0 PP
I've owned over 40 cars, new & preowed. Never have I seen this much depreciation at the rate realized here. Typically, 3k-3.5k is the norm when leaving the lot, but damn. Lesson learned:amen:

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
I had an '08 RS4 and lost a buck per mile in two and a half years. I put 24K miles on it before I sold it. You want to really lose money quick? Buy Euro, unless it's a GT3.

OP
OP

Rubred50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 5.0 PP
It's a Ford. They drop in value like a rock. Wait 6-7 years and your car will be worth around 8 grand. Rule # 1 never buy a new car if you are worried about losing money. It's the worst purchase you can make. Rule #2 Never buy a Ford because it's one of the worst brands to depreciate.
Roger that!

Lowrider

Drive Fast...Live Slow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A poorman's coupe
I traded in a15 STi with 14K miles for the GT. The Subaru dealer that bought my car listed it for the price of a new one...Now Subaru STi is a brand that holds its value well.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
It's a Ford. They drop in value like a rock. Wait 6-7 years and your car will be worth around 8 grand. Rule # 1 never buy a new car if you are worried about losing money. It's the worst purchase you can make. Rule #2 Never buy a Ford because it's one of the worst brands to depreciate.
So, I just went to KBB.com and entered info for a 7 year old Mustang GT Premium Coupe with manual trans and popular options. I drive 7K miles per year, so I put in 49K miles. Trade in value for very good condition is $13K-$14K. Your $8K figure is WAY off.

Fords have some of the highest resale values on the market. Check the ALG sometime if you don't believe me. The ALG is the lease guide for banks that lists residual values for cars to set lease terms.

Sponsored

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
That is why I shopped around months before buying my Mustang... waited for the best deal possible before buying.

I did not pay close to MSRP on my car... I'll hopefully take less of a hit when I sell/trade in three years (plan was to sell in three to five years of purchase, definitely before all warranty is out).

Talking out the side of my head, sometimes I don't think the price of a car is based on MSRP... seems to be (maybe) the lowest average price the cars sell for. In other words, people who paid MSRP will get ripped when selling.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It's a Ford.
My FJ Cruiser on the other hand can be sold higher than I paid for after 3 years and 30k miles.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
That is why I shopped around months before buying my Mustang... waited for the best deal possible before buying.

I did not pay close to MSRP on my car... I'll hopefully take less of a hit when I sell/trade in three years (plan was to sell in three to five years of purchase, definitely before all warranty is out).

Talking out the side of my head, sometimes I don't think the price of a car is based on MSRP... seems to be (maybe) the lowest average price the cars sell for. In other words, people who paid MSRP will get ripped when selling.
Oh hell yea. You can easily pay 3-5k under MSRP.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Oh hell yea. You can easily pay 3-5k under MSRP.
I went back and looked at my numbers...

- MSRP for my car was $39,565.00 exactly

- I paid about 33,600 (it was not over 34)

- Trade in is around 27,000 to 28 in my area.

Someone who paid MSRP would be hurt.

RMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby GT 5.0 Premium Fastback
MSRP on mine was $44k if I recall, paid $39k I think. Took out a loan thru local FCU at 1.75% interest so to me I'm riding out mostly principle rather than interest. But yes I am in the same boat as most of you guys on here. Just need to keep it for 2-3 years & prob look into a used Shelby in 2016-2017 depending on market at that time.
Sponsored