Sponsored

2018 “prime” when initially opening driver door

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
For those with the 2018’s, when you initially open your drivers door, can you or do you hear a minor “thump, thump” coming from under the car? I think what I am hearing is the fuel pump priming, I just never noticed it on my prior 2016.

I hear the initial click/clacking of sensors under the hood waking up when initially opening the door, just never paid any attention to the actual pump noise.
Sponsored

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
Yep, mine has a strange way of waking up also. I haven't noticed the thumps, but I would bet they are there. :)

MyStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Cobra Jet,
I have a 2015 and have heard the thump thump from day one. Sounds like its coming from the driver side rear tire well, Could it be the air flap in trunk letting fresh air in the cabin when the drivers door opens? :shrug:

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I've noticed kind of a hiss or whoosh noise in that situation.

Sponsored

JackBauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic base GT 6SP
i can hear the fuel pump prime when i press the clutch in to start. could be diff for 2018's though due to the added direct injection.

i know my friends 17' silverado pump primes when he opens the door.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I'm fairly certain what you are hearing is the electronic throttle body calibration cycle. It performs this when you open the door. On prior models, it did it the instant between pressing the start button and the engine cranking.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
For those with the 2018’s, when you initially open your drivers door, can you or do you hear a minor “thump, thump”
On my 17 that would be the drivers window slightly lowering.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Only yours?
Huh? When I open the door the window drops about a inch and AFTER I close the door it raises up again. Yours doesn't?That's when I hear that thud.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s defintley not the auto-window down adjustment noise.

As others have said above, it does sound like its coming from the rear (or maybe center) of vehicle. Some may just be used to it and the sound doesn’t register.

I really noticed in my garage, never really took notice to it during daily routine when out and about.

Could it be the throttle body? Never heard TB’s do that on prior cars.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
The throttle bodies have been doing the calibration cycle since dbw came into existence. For whatever reason (quicker starter response?), ford moved the timing from start command to door open.

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The throttle bodies have been doing the calibration cycle since dbw came into existence. For whatever reason (quicker starter response?), ford moved the timing from start command to door open.
So exactly what happens - the throttle body blade is snapping open when the driver’s door is initially engaged from outside the vehicle?

The noise (to me) really sounds like it’s coming from the middle to rear area of the car, almost like the fuel pump is engaging. I don’t hear it at all after the car has been driven, shut down and driver door open. It only occurs on initial opening of the driver door from the outside of the car.

The noise (best I can describe it) is like a dull and very rapid succession of “thumps”.

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
It's the fuel pump priming the Direct Inject system. My '12 Taurus SHO did the same thing.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
While I am certain the tb is doing it’s calibration when you open the door (witnessed mine several times), I have also noticed fuel pump priming and the bumping sound you heard.
Sponsored