Sponsored

Eagle Squadron Mustang GT Honoring WWII Pilots Debuting at Goodwood, Driven by Junior

Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Coming to Goodwood on July 12 (and EAA charity auction thereafter)... The Eagle Squadron Mustang GT piloted by Vaughn Gittin, Jr. :thumbsup:

FORD, VAUGHN GITTIN JR. SALUTE AMERICAN WWII PILOTS WHO DEFENDED BRITAIN WITH EAGLE SQUADRON MUSTANG GT AHEAD OF CHARITY AUCTION
2018MYS550MUSTANG-AIRVENTURE.JPG

DEARBORN, Mich., June 15, 2018 – Ford and world champion drifter Vaughn Gittin Jr. are paying tribute to American fighter pilots who served in the Royal Air Force during World War II, inviting Gittin to pilot the one-off Eagle Squadron Mustang GT at this year’s Goodwood Festival of Speed in the UK on July 12.

Co-created by Ford Performance and Gittin’s RTR Vehicles, the camouflaged, fighter aircraft-inspired Mustang GT fastback debuts at Goodwood before heading back to the U.S. for the Experimental Aircraft Association’s largest fundraiser, The Gathering, held on July 26 during the EAA AirVenture Oshkosh fly-in in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. The event draws more than 1,000 aviation enthusiasts annually.

The Eagle Squadron Mustang GT will be auctioned off at The Gathering to support the EAA’s youth education programs.

“Supporting young pilots through the EAA charity auction reflects Ford’s aviation history, tracing back to the company’s early days and the Arsenal of Democracy during WWII,” said Darrell Behmer, Ford Mustang design chief. “The Eagle Squadron Mustang GT build with Vaughn and the Ford design team is a great way to honor our heroes and keep the spirit of aviation alive for the next generation of American pilots.”

2018 marks the 20th year Ford has supported The Gathering during EAA AirVenture. All proceeds will be donated to EAA’s youth education programs to encourage and support the next generation of pilots. In all, Ford has donated 11 custom-designed vehicles and helped raise more than $3 million.

The one-of-a-kind Eagle Squadron Mustang GT features a 700-horsepower 5.0-liter V8 with a Ford Performance supercharger, RTR carbon fiber wide-body kit and Tactical Performance suspension package.

Powerful and menacing-looking, this one-of-a-kind beast takes its inspiration from World War II Royal Air Force Eagle squadrons that flew over the fields of Goodwood nearly 80 years ago. The three Eagle Squadrons included a diverse group of American volunteer pilots who risked their lives fighting in the skies over northern Europe, including the British coast and France prior to the U.S. entering the war.

The car’s highest bidder also receives an all-inclusive package for two to attend the 2018 Ford Woodward Dream Cruise in Detroit in August to take delivery of the car along with a plaque autographed by Gittin and members of the Ford design team.

To learn more about the EAA, its youth programs and The Gathering (including bidding on the Eagle Squadron Mustang GT), call 920.426.6573 or email [email protected].

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...agle-squadron-mustang-gt-gittin-charity.html#
Sponsored

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I thought the same thing Kevin. Maybe next time they should do a Lamborghini Huracán (Hurricane). :)

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
The eagle emblem on the roof is based on the shoulder patch that Americans wore on their RAF uniforms.

Mustang65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (TY, UCL 87, appeared on Top Gear)
As I pointed out a couple of years ago to Andy Barratt and Ford UKs Press team the origin of the name Mustang for the WW2 fighter is British. Which in turn means that as the car is more likely to be named after the plane than horse the British can take credit for it!

The plane was designed for the us and given the name by the RAF. Whilst the early version was a good low altitude aircraft it was only when a British engineer suggested putting a Rolls Royce Merlin in one that it became a real success.

Showing it at FoS is certainly appropriate, with the airfield being an original WW2 base (RAF Westhampnett). At least one Eagle Squadron pilot was also based down the road at Tangmere. Rolls Royce cars is of course just down the road.

If someone asks nicely perhaps they will take it down to the track on the 16th, or at least take some pictures at the airfield with the Spitfires and the Mustang based there. You can book a hangar tour if you want, just go to the Boutlebee website.

Nothing like popping into the track to watch something at the track and then standing next to a Spitfire starting up, all with the Downs in the background.

I did suggest to Andy that Ford UK could do something to push the British origins however apart from a few photos around the 2015 launch time that didn't catch on. Let's hope they get the facts right and play the RAF angle fully.

I am sure the crabs (slang for RAF personnel) won't miss the chance and would bet that the Red Arrows end up posing with it.

Sponsored

Mustang65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (TY, UCL 87, appeared on Top Gear)
I thought I should expand on the pilot I mentioned who flew from RAF Tangmere, just down the road from Goodwood.

Before the 3 Eagle Sqadrons were formed (Sep 1940) a number of Americans joined the RAF. Billy Fiske, an Olympic Bobsleigh champion, was one of these pilots who then fought in the Battle of Britain. Tragically he died after a combat mission in a Hawker Hurricane and is buried in the churchyard in the village of Boxgrove, close to Goodwood.

His grave bears the poignant inscription 'He died for England'. People remember his sacrifice to this day. There is also a stained glass window in the church which commemorates his actions.

Photographs of both can be seen at:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy

I recommend a visit to the Boxgrove and the aviation museum at Tangmere if you wish to understand more and pay your respects.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I like the top picture want to see the rest of the car

Sponsored

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
I’m making my own tribute Mustang, to the P-51’s and pilots who flew them. She’s a work in progress but I’ve named her “Miss Maggie”
F572E117-D5CB-45A5-9F67-6D6AC9D6A537.jpeg

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
Coming to Goodwood on July 12 (and EAA charity auction thereafter)... The Eagle Squadron Mustang GT piloted by Vaughn Gittin, Jr. :thumbsup:

FORD, VAUGHN GITTIN JR. SALUTE AMERICAN WWII PILOTS WHO DEFENDED BRITAIN WITH EAGLE SQUADRON MUSTANG GT AHEAD OF CHARITY AUCTION
2018MYS550MUSTANG-AIRVENTURE.JPG

DEARBORN, Mich., June 15, 2018 – Ford and world champion drifter Vaughn Gittin Jr. are paying tribute to American fighter pilots who served in the Royal Air Force during World War II, inviting Gittin to pilot the one-off Eagle Squadron Mustang GT at this year’s Goodwood Festival of Speed in the UK on July 12.

Co-created by Ford Performance and Gittin’s RTR Vehicles, the camouflaged, fighter aircraft-inspired Mustang GT fastback debuts at Goodwood before heading back to the U.S. for the Experimental Aircraft Association’s largest fundraiser, The Gathering, held on July 26 during the EAA AirVenture Oshkosh fly-in in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. The event draws more than 1,000 aviation enthusiasts annually.

The Eagle Squadron Mustang GT will be auctioned off at The Gathering to support the EAA’s youth education programs.

“Supporting young pilots through the EAA charity auction reflects Ford’s aviation history, tracing back to the company’s early days and the Arsenal of Democracy during WWII,” said Darrell Behmer, Ford Mustang design chief. “The Eagle Squadron Mustang GT build with Vaughn and the Ford design team is a great way to honor our heroes and keep the spirit of aviation alive for the next generation of American pilots.”

2018 marks the 20th year Ford has supported The Gathering during EAA AirVenture. All proceeds will be donated to EAA’s youth education programs to encourage and support the next generation of pilots. In all, Ford has donated 11 custom-designed vehicles and helped raise more than $3 million.

The one-of-a-kind Eagle Squadron Mustang GT features a 700-horsepower 5.0-liter V8 with a Ford Performance supercharger, RTR carbon fiber wide-body kit and Tactical Performance suspension package.

Powerful and menacing-looking, this one-of-a-kind beast takes its inspiration from World War II Royal Air Force Eagle squadrons that flew over the fields of Goodwood nearly 80 years ago. The three Eagle Squadrons included a diverse group of American volunteer pilots who risked their lives fighting in the skies over northern Europe, including the British coast and France prior to the U.S. entering the war.

The car’s highest bidder also receives an all-inclusive package for two to attend the 2018 Ford Woodward Dream Cruise in Detroit in August to take delivery of the car along with a plaque autographed by Gittin and members of the Ford design team.

To learn more about the EAA, its youth programs and The Gathering (including bidding on the Eagle Squadron Mustang GT), call 920.426.6573 or email [email protected].

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...agle-squadron-mustang-gt-gittin-charity.html#
I’d love to see more pics from all angles.. anyone know where to find them?

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
OT but every so often the Collings foundation P-51 visits a nearby airport. I hear that thing and go running outside every time! Nothing else sounds like that.

I keep wanting to take a flight in it.
Sponsored