How much is it to convert to a Tremec?

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Ouch been there, no Bueno. Good luck with your next trans.

BTW what exhaust set up do you have? that car sounds amazing!!!

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Damn dude, real sorry to hear that! Gotta be a mfr defect, probably an improperly heat treated (over-hardened) gear. No way you lunched 4th without 4 digit HP.

OP
OP

Rexpelagi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Anything
Damn dude, real sorry to hear that! Gotta be a mfr defect, probably an improperly heat treated (over-hardened) gear. No way you lunched 4th without 4 digit HP.
That 500rwhp/400rwtq hits *real* hard, apparently. :p

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rexpelagi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Anything
OP
OP

Rexpelagi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Anything
Ouch been there, no Bueno. Good luck with your next trans.

BTW what exhaust set up do you have? that car sounds amazing!!!
Haha thanks!

The exhaust is ARH long tubes, ARH x-pipes, and then a custom 3" axleback with Magnaflow race mufflers.

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
It's possible, but unlikely, it was a dedicated autocross car (1st and 2nd gear) before I bought it (trailered), and I bought it with 1400mi on it (now at 4500mi).
So you bought a car that was a dedicated track car and you wonder how something broke? Seriously? How do you know how hard or not hard the 1400 miles were driven? While I am not defending the MT-82, you can't be surprised that a track car blew something when you haven't been the driver to put all the miles on it.

Track sessions can be very hard on a car if pushed to hard, overheated, hard shifts if the driver doesn't know how to drive...etc

Sorry for your breakage, but a little perspective to what is at fault.

OP
OP

Rexpelagi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Anything
So you bought a car that was a dedicated track car and you wonder how something broke? Seriously? How do you know how hard or not hard the 1400 miles were driven? While I am not defending the MT-82, you can't be surprised that a track car blew something when you haven't been the driver to put all the miles on it.

Track sessions can be very hard on a car if pushed to hard, overheated, hard shifts if the driver doesn't know how to drive...etc

Dedicated *autocross* car - autocross doesn't use 4th gear. The car never saw track use until this weekend. If it was an actual track car I'd completely agree with you.

OP
OP

Rexpelagi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Anything
I just spoke with Ben Calimer, and one of the first questions was which clutch I was using. When I told him it was an Exedy Twin-Disc he wasn't surprised that 4th went out. The clutch does grab hard, and he suspects that's what did it, which makes sense given how briefly the gear lasted.

He recommended changing over to a McLeod RST Twin Disc with the organic discs - he doesn't expect issues with that clutch and an MT-82.

So, that might be the solution - rebuild and a clutch change. I will keep everyone posted!

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD

1400 total miles and that being dedicated to AutoX is not going to roast the transmission, especially 4th gear. It wouldn't even have been a worry of mine.

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange PP
Well, surprising no one, I have confirmed the MT-82 is indeed garbage. It's never a good sign when you pull the drain plug and nothing comes out... I had to clear the debris with my finger for the fluid to even drain.

I see a Tremec in my future...

I lost 4 at Bowling Green. Same thing happened, tore all the teeth off 4th gear. I didn't even feel it happen, shifted to 4th and it just wasn't there.

I'm debating a 6r80 swap and may have the whole setup if your interested. Clutch and all.

OP
OP

Rexpelagi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Anything
I lost 4 at Bowling Green. Same thing happened, tore all the teeth off 4th gear. I didn't even feel it happen, shifted to 4th and it just wasn't there.

I'm debating a 6r80 swap and may have the whole setup if your interested. Clutch and all.
Was that when you were boosted, or when you were N/A? Which clutch were you running?

Interesting idea on the 6R80 - how were you going to control it (do you just need a TCU)? Did you decide to change to something else?

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange PP
Was that when you were boosted, or when you were N/A? Which clutch were you running?

Interesting idea on the 6R80 - how were you going to control it (do you just need a TCU)? Did you decide to change to something else?

I was NA with 525. Exedy Clutch.

On the 6R80, New ECU, wiring harness, steering wheel w paddles... all auto stuff....
Sponsored