Dinosoar

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dinosoarmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mustang GT (Track Car Only); 2019 Jetta GLI
Vehicle Showcase
I just got my 2018 PP1 GT. I love the automatic...my first ever in a Mustang. However, like all trannys, it ain't perfect. My biggest gripe is the downshifting logic in Sport mode. It provides way too much engine braking and noise rising all the way up to 5500+ RPM for modest brake inputs. I often find myself going manual mode to arrest that crap.

Anyone else see this issue (which may be subjective, I know, but I do hate it)? After all, brakes should do all the braking, no driveline involvement.

Also, anyone know if Ford issues "re-flashing" of the A10 tranny OR, aftermarket flashes for the A10 (which sounds a little scary)?
Sponsored

Stranger706

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT w/Roush SC
Haha yeah the sport+ mode downshifting is pretty aggressive. Just driving through the neighborhood basically just coasting along its sounds stupid revving all high for no reason.

I rarely drive in sport+ without using the paddles. Its either in full automatic normal mode or sport+ using the paddles.

If you want to change the shift strategy in certain drive modes I'm pretty sure one of the many tunes available now or in the near future can help out with this.

5LTR550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Efren
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium GT A10 401a 2017 Focus ST
Vehicle Showcase
ive noticed using it more now, that if im not heavy footed on the braking you can control it a little better in a way and it wont spike up if your light on the brake pedal, but pass the threshold and itll rev it up just like you say. I take my car in Monday for maintenance and i was going to ask if there are any trans revisions for the tune from ford in general as its a new tranny , and hope my dealer is in the know if so.

OP
OP
Dinosoar

Dinosoar

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dinosoarmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mustang GT (Track Car Only); 2019 Jetta GLI
Vehicle Showcase
ive noticed using it more now, that if im not heavy footed on the braking you can control it a little better in a way and it wont spike up if your light on the brake pedal, but pass the threshold and itll rev it up just like you say. I take my car in Monday for maintenance and i was going to ask if there are any trans revisions for the tune from ford in general as its a new tranny , and hope my dealer is in the know if so.
Yeah, man, let us know what they say at the dealer.

I mean, I still love the tranny...not just because of all the traffic, but it is still high performance driving. I too often use the paddles, and in acceleration, the Sport mode is great. I did learn that if you hold one of the paddles for 3 seconds, it goes back into full auto mode. So, I find myself arresting the wild engine braking with a right paddle tap. Then when all settles down, I "reset" back to auto mode...unless I want to manage shifts better through traffic and such. Regarding manual mode, I am learning the up and down shift rhythms more and more making it much a more fun and effective a "weapon!" :headbang:

I love my manuals too, so linear and reliable, but a good auto is just a better performance set up these days (I grew up when autos just sucked!). I just wish fluid-heavy torque converters managed heat better for track work!
Sponsored