Sponsored

Over 14 Years with BMW... First Mustang: 2018 GT - My Story

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT
After leaving a quick post in the introduce yourself thread I felt compelled to share some photos and impressions of the 2018 Mustang GT from a Ford newbie. Warning, this will more than likely be long.

TLDR: Bought a Mustang. I love it.

I've worked, and still do, with BMW for over 14 years. It's really all I've driven, modded, wrenched, tracked, everything. However, there was always a little bug in my ear when it came to the Mustang. I suppose I can blame Nicolas Cage and Eleanor but that seems a bit too cliche even though I watched that scene hundreds of times. Something about the looks and styling always hit a high note for me. After changing a significant amount of things for 2018 I decided there was no better time than now to take a dive into the world of Mustang.

I did some research about the different options, packages and differences in the MY18. While silly to some I wanted a new car. Like, brand new. It would be my first non company car that has the "new car" scent. I also didn't want to order it. Only because I'm not patient and a local dealer had one that checked all of my boxes.

Magnetic/Cloth, 6sp, PP, 12" Sync3, Active Exhaust and Magneride. I'm exposing my ignorance here as I'm not sure if some are inclusive or not with packages but those were my must haves. As if it was meant to be I walked up to stock #180162 and knew I wanted it. Odo read 3 miles, smelled new and had what I wanted... I drove away in it an hour later.

I did the customary drive around town all day with a new car smile ear to ear. Varying engine speed and load. Taking it easy on the clutch. Bedding in the brakes. While not necessary it's habit after countless engine rebuilds, clutch replacements and brake jobs on project/track cars.

This engine reminds me of the S65 from BMW. (08-13 M3s) -- While it's not as high strung and makes loads more torque it loves to rev. I fully expected a grunt of a motor with an abrupt power delivery that then falls on its face. Not the case at all. Smooth wave of power all the way to redline. Makes all the right noises too. The motor is amazing.

The transmission is leagues better than BMW. I read about how the M82(?) isn't good, or grindy or whatever, but I prefer this one 10 times over the mop in a bucket feel you get with the E46 M3 for example.

Interior is fine. I purposely set my expectations low for this area and was pleasantly surprised. Didn't buy the car with interior on my mind.

Exterior is so subjective and from what I see a source of controversy so I'll just say I'm a huge huge fan of this one and all S550s from previous years.

Suspension is on point! No where close to as harsh as what I expected and from my brief experience driving the modes with stock springs capable as well as the majority of performance vehicles. I've since added GT350 springs as they're the only ones I can tell that work with the Magneride. After that upgrade I'd say harshness grew 10% while the look and feel while spirited driving grew 30%. Recommend this upgrade for the price all day long.

I also put 25mm wheel spacers in the rear. I wanted to do front, but the exsisting bolts out of the hub contacted the PP wheel. So, I'll have to trim a bit. I would've done it earlier but didn't have a 14x1.5 die at the shop. Black badges and LED reverse light round out the mods for now. Vertical links upgrade will be next.

Yep, I wrote too much. Took some pictures. Mostly close up since the car is filthy right now. Enjoy:

39955715101_4380cc428c_c.jpg
Front Side

39923696272_2df7cf37ac_c.jpg
6sp

28176133239_de2eafae3f_c.jpg
Accelerspeedo

39955713731_fc63b3efa3_c.jpg
Michelin

39057636805_1297924d09_c.jpg
Mustang
Sponsored

Triton54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A-10 (mine) 17 GT pp, 6spd (wifes)
Very nice, I too have had Mustangs in the past, 1987 was the last >new< one, until wife bought a 17 GT last fall, I am waiting on an 18...

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Nice write up and welcome to the forum! I love hearing about these scenarios! After I ordered mine, I was speaking with a Mazda dealer about how Ford really stepped up their A-game with the S550 and was looking to compete globally with Audi, BMW and Mazda. His response: A Phfttttt, an eye roll, and a look down his nose attitude.

So 4 years ago if I told you that you were going to be in a Mustang, would you have believed me?

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
welcome aboard

put in an MGW shifter, better transmission fluid to elevate the transmission feel to a whole new level. The best mod you can do to the car. Im in agreement with the BMR mods that mvfjet mentioned. You wont miss the BMW tax on aftermarket parts either.

Sponsored

RileyZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue Gt PP
Congrats! Made the switch to my 17 gt about a month ago now. Had a 335i and was going to get an 11-13 m3 but changed my mind after driving a mustang.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
The 11-13 M3s are some of our class competition in SCCA Solo autocross. Similar motors for sure. We've got the torque, they dance prettier.

OP
OP
///MustangS550
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT
Thanks for the responses! It's nice to find an active forum,

Very nice, I too have had Mustangs in the past, 1987 was the last >new< one, until wife bought a 17 GT last fall, I am waiting on an 18...
A his and hers duo? Nice! I'm sure access to a 17 will help with the wait ;)

Nice write up and welcome to the forum! I love hearing about these scenarios! After I ordered mine, I was speaking with a Mazda dealer about how Ford really stepped up their A-game with the S550 and was looking to compete globally with Audi, BMW and Mazda. His response: A Phfttttt, an eye roll, and a look down his nose attitude.

So 4 years ago if I told you that you were going to be in a Mustang, would you have believed me?
Thanks!

4 years ago? Nope. I always respected Ford but the phrase Mustang and 5.0 garnished thoughts of unkempt examples that I was used to seeing around town. I'm glad I didn't let my ignorance stop me from actually do research into S550!

Congrats on the new car. Magnetic has got to be one of the most popular colors.

For suspension mods look at BMR's cb005 cradle lockout and they have a variety of vertical links. Also look at their jacking rails and cb006 4 point k member brace.

Your BMW buddies probably think you're crazy for buying a Mustang but these new ones are sweet. Congrats again.
Thank you! I see a bunch online, but none on the road oddly enough.

That's awesome information, thank you very much. I will look into all of those and more than likely install in time for the HPDE.

To say they were surprised would be an understatement! I would say that reaction would also hold true after I took them for a brisk drive around the known back roads. Not pushing it at all, but enough to get a feel. :D

AWESOME ride, man! I love it. Congrats!
Thank you!

welcome aboard

put in an MGW shifter, better transmission fluid to elevate the transmission feel to a whole new level. The best mod you can do to the car. Im in agreement with the BMR mods that mvfjet mentioned. You wont miss the BMW tax on aftermarket parts either.
Thanks!

Really appreciate the information. Planned on doing a 1,200 mile break-in Inspection Service. Oil change, transmission and differential fluid change. Maybe overkill but it's mandatory on the BMW ///M models. I'd feel strange not doing it. No kidding when it comes to BMW tax on aftermarket parts. A very welcome change!

Vato

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Saleen White Label
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome my dude!<—- that slang my 11yr old is teaching me.

Good to hear the stang is an adequate option from a long time bimmer guy. I like what you’ve done to your stang. :thumbsup:

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Stance is bang on with those 350 springs, looks lovely. :)

Sponsored

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the M6g crew! We are a wild bunch, I did the catch can 1st. UPR and then the BMR CB005-006 torque arm/braces and camber bolts, then tires and tomorrow I add SVE progressive springs to bring the pony down on the new wider tires. You're in for a treat R/T style, I really enjoy the twisty's in this 2016 GT base.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the responses! It's nice to find an active forum,

A his and hers duo? Nice! I'm sure access to a 17 will help with the wait ;)

Thanks!

4 years ago? Nope. I always respected Ford but the phrase Mustang and 5.0 garnished thoughts of unkempt examples that I was used to seeing around town. I'm glad I didn't let my ignorance stop me from actually do research into S550!

Thank you! I see a bunch online, but none on the road oddly enough.

That's awesome information, thank you very much. I will look into all of those and more than likely install in time for the HPDE.

To say they were surprised would be an understatement! I would say that reaction would also hold true after I took them for a brisk drive around the known back roads. Not pushing it at all, but enough to get a feel. :D

Thank you!

Thanks!

Really appreciate the information. Planned on doing a 1,200 mile break-in Inspection Service. Oil change, transmission and differential fluid change. Maybe overkill but it's mandatory on the BMW ///M models. I'd feel strange not doing it. No kidding when it comes to BMW tax on aftermarket parts. A very welcome change!
Congrats and welcome!

Adding onto the shifter, MGW standard race spec and BG Syncroshift II fluid from [MENTION=22413]Optimum Performance[/MENTION] completely transforms the shifting experience to where it feels like a different car. Must do, for sure, even with the seemingly substantial improvements to the 18 manual.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
not overkill I did the same, gotta get in that break in stuff out for longevity.

You may get locked out in in a 1-2 shift at high rpms. Its because of the flex and play between the shifter mechanism and transmission. Under load, the shifter gets misaligned with the transmission to make a clean shift. MGW will change the shifter to a direct mounted and negate this issue. Also the MGW changes reverse to be a push down reverse instead of using that cheap plastic pull up collar which breaks over time. Feels much more upscale.

Also remove the clutch assist spring if you havent, it will greatly improve the clutch feel and accuracy. Its pretty much universally hated here, not sure if they changed it for the 18. Great thing is its a free 2 minute mod with a set of pliers. Push the clutch all the way in, compress a couple of the coils with pliers and it should slide right out with the perch.

MGW shifter - $475
BMR CB005 lvl 2 - $220
BMR CB006 front brace - $140
BMR Vertical Links - $220
BMR Diff Bushing Lockout Kit - $60

With those you pretty much fixed the S550 stangs main issues: sloppy factory shifter and sloppy wheel hoppy rear end. You can wait for sales too.

bahasad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Premium, 14 BMW F30 Stage 1
I also come from the BMW world. Welcome.

I was debating between my 17GT and an E92 M3 (dream car at a time). Glad I went with the Mustang.

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Magnetic GT350R / 70' Buick Skylark
Congrats on the new ride Mike! And great color choice with the Mag!!! When you get a few minutes/hours there are 200-something pages of Mags to check out in the S550 Magnetic thread! I really enjoyed going thru both it and the GT350 Magnetic threads lookin at all the awesome rides.
Sponsored