Sponsored

2017 Mustang GT Roushcharged: Cant put power to the ground! Help!

Bsingh897

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Hello everyone!

I have a 2017 Roush Phase 2 Supercharged GT Lund tuned. I have a non-pp model and everything is basically stock with my vehicle except the supercharger and exhaust. I am having a hard time hooking 1st and 2nd gear. Don't get me wrong, it is an absolute BEAST on 60 rolls but besides that... I'm in trouble.

Now my tires are:
Rear: 275/35R20 Mickey Thompson Street Comp
Front: 255/35R20 Mickey Thompson Street Comp

I have a stock suspension except for Eibach sports line spring set. I am thinking of beefing up my suspension and possible getting wider and better tires? I am reaching out to the community to get some suggestions on which suspension package to purchase to help with my situation. I am thinking of purchasing ford performance track pack suspension + steedas "stop the hop" kit + 295 Square setup. Any thoughts?
Sponsored

stang305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt
You need wider tires. I'm procharged I have 275 in the front 315 in the rear. I also have bmr cradle lock out and bmr vertical links. I have no wheel hop car pulls good

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
I would get drag radials. My '05 lays down 597 rwhp and I use Nitto NT05R rubber in 285 width. Pretty good grip with those.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
You need at least a 295-305 sticky tire aired down to 28-30 on a 10-11" rim (smaller diameter the better, 20s are a losing proposition). For making the most of them, BMR CB005 lockout kit and BMR BK081 or BK055 RLCA bearings to stop wheel hop. Diff bushing inserts will also help get more power to the wheels (but don't stop hop), but do come with some driveline noise. Dampers make a huge difference in grip on launch too.

Kelly [MENTION=9985]BMR Tech[/MENTION] develops the products and drag and road races his own cars, both lightly modified street car on street tires, as well as an all-out strip car he's currently adding a lot more power to. Give him a call :)

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
You need wider tires. I'm procharged I have 275 in the front 315 in the rear. I also have bmr cradle lock out and bmr vertical links. I have no wheel hop car pulls good
What he said! /\

1. I had Mickey Thompson Street Comps, and I was not very impressed with them.

2. You need a little more meat in the back. 305 min.

3. BMR lockout kit is one of the biggest one mod improvements.

Sponsored

JeromeS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, Premium, Performance, Kona, A10
There are multiple causes for lack of traction.

1. Tires type - You need a tire with a softer compound. Since you are on the street I suggest the M/T ET S/S. They are my daily driver and drag strip tire. They will last about 12K miles and 50-60 burn outs at the track.

2. Wheel/tire diameter - The larger the diameter the shorter the side wall. The shorter the side wall the less rubber material to absorb shock. If you are willing, I suggest moving down to a 19" wheel/tire.

3. Suspension - From what I have read and heard from others, the BMR Cradle Lockout kit and vertical links help with straight line traction and minimize wheel hop.

4. Tire pressure - Obvious but the higher the TP the "harder" the tire is and less forgiving to shock. I am not sure about 20" tires but for 19" ~30psi is my recommended setting.

5. Tire width - While this plays a part it is not as influential as the other points mentioned above. Going from 235 to a 335 will make a noticeable difference but not so much 275 to 305. The Outlaw 8.5 cars 4.80's in the 1/8th on a 235 drag radial.

I hope this input for all of us helps you.

Jerome

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
[MENTION=25806]SteedaTech[/MENTION] can help you with IRS modifications. I suggest you call him.

Also, MT Street Comps (or Cooper RS3-S, same thing effectively) tires are not a tire I'd put on a boosted vehicle. They were fine for the first 50% of their life on my NA car, but after that 50% life mark, they got terrible real fast in terms of grip and required getting HOT before they had the same grip as when they were new. I don't know anyone that's liked them on a boosted car who gave it the beans ever. Spend the money on Conti, Michelin, or similar street tires.

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
You will probably want to upgrade your clutch as well.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Hello everyone!

I have a 2017 Roush Phase 2 Supercharged GT Lund tuned. I have a non-pp model and everything is basically stock with my vehicle except the supercharger and exhaust. I am having a hard time hooking 1st and 2nd gear. Don't get me wrong, it is an absolute BEAST on 60 rolls but besides that... I'm in trouble.

Now my tires are:
Rear: 275/35R20 Mickey Thompson Street Comp
Front: 255/35R20 Mickey Thompson Street Comp

I have a stock suspension except for Eibach sports line spring set. I am thinking of beefing up my suspension and possible getting wider and better tires? I am reaching out to the community to get some suggestions on which suspension package to purchase to help with my situation. I am thinking of purchasing ford performance track pack suspension + steedas "stop the hop" kit + 295 Square setup. Any thoughts?
I had the street comps on an almost similar set up on my '11. 600 rwhp. They are not very sticky. If you want sticky, try the Michelin A/S 3+ in the same size. They are a/s but are much better than the MT street comp tires which are just not very good tires. But, best are drag radials. I used those in the summer and they were good. I had the nittos but MTs and others are fine too. You NEED drs with the torque of the Roush if you want to have fun.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Bsingh897

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
I had the street comps on an almost similar set up on my '11. 600 rwhp. They are not very sticky. If you want sticky, try the Michelin A/S 3+ in the same size. They are a/s but are much better than the MT street comp tires which are just not very good tires. But, best are drag radials. I used those in the summer and they were good. I had the nittos but MTs and others are fine too. You NEED drs with the torque of the Roush if you want to have fun.
I appreciate everyone's reply! I will consider to beef up my suspension. I am shopping for vertical links and the cradle, trying to get the best price. I need a suggestion: I want to get rid of my rear tire as it does not do a very good job. I am thinking to upgrade to these NITTO's

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-New-Nitt...ash=item3d53989d98:g:t5UAAOSwU4FaOThb&vxp=mtr

The spec of the tires are Nt05 - 315/35r20 Tires 35r 20 3153520

I will only be changing the rear setup and will leave the front tires alone. The front will be Mickey T's Street Comp 255 35r20, Rear will be the new Nitto's.

If this tires are not good enough, what set of drag radials do you guys recommend that will fit with my current wheel setup? (35R20)

Now my current spring setup is Eibach Sportline which is an aggressive drop. It may not fit the new 315's so I plan to put back the stock OEM GT springs just for the rear and keep the Eibach Sportline in the front of the vehicle. Is this a good idea?

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
I think cup2s would be sick.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I'm boosted with 3.73s and stock tire sizes on Indy 500s. I can't hook up for crap in a dig.....but so be it. Car came this way. I'll just leave it alone. From a roll it's pretty good and street driving it's still a ton of fun. But drag racing.....very challenging but drag racing on the street.....not so great....oh well.

D24112

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 MT

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
When I had M/T Street Comps I could hook either and I had stock power at the time. Personally, I think their garbage and many who have had them call 'em Ice Skates. I would seriously think about going into a much higher class of tire.

As other have said here too, building up your suspension would help as well. I would attack it from multiple points. Springs/dampeners/IRS support/bushings.

Good luck!
Sponsored