Sponsored

will different transmission fluid void warranty on transmission

Machelen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The banging four banger
i am thinking switch to BG syntheticshift II to reduce noise and have smoothier shift but i am a bit concerned about the requirements. Apparently BG is 75-w80 which is different thickness than OEM oil. will this void the warranty?
Sponsored

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
Possibly yes it will give you a problem should you need to warranty anything with the transmission.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
i am thinking switch to BG syntheticshift II to reduce noise and have smoothier shift but i am a bit concerned about the requirements. Apparently BG is 75-w80 which is different thickness than OEM oil. will this void the warranty?
If the transmission fails and Ford / dealer proves you have not used Ford-spec fluid (BG regardless of viscosity doesn't meet it), then yes, your warranty claim will likely be declined.

I asked dealer to change the fluid with Royal Purple and they came back to me asking if I am sure that I want to do it since it doesn't meet Ford spec and can lead to declined warranty claim. E-mail exchange with RP (I posted it somewhere here) had them clearly admitting it doesn't meet Ford Spec (probably because was never tested against it) - their advertisement say it is "recommended" for MT-82.

Having said all that, I am currently using BG... :)

OP
OP

Machelen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The banging four banger
If the transmission fails and Ford / dealer proves you have not used Ford-spec fluid (BG regardless of viscosity doesn't meet it), then yes, your warranty claim will likely be declined.

I asked dealer to change the fluid with Royal Purple and they came back to me asking if I am sure that I want to do it since it doesn't meet Ford spec and can lead to declined warranty claim. E-mail exchange with RP (I posted it somewhere here) had them clearly admitting it doesn't meet Ford Spec (probably because was never tested against it) - their advertisement say it is "recommended" for MT-82.

Having said all that, I am currently using BG... :)
DAMN, I have more than 2 years warranty and I have a feeling that this tranny gonna break within 3 years so I don't wanna risk it. any one tried other brand 75w FE before? since 75W FE is what is stated in owner's manual

Sponsored

Lime1GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Do you want to use a different fluid because of noise and shift concerns when cold? If so why would you go from a straight weight 75 to a multi-grade 75w-80? Do you know the low temp pour point of the DG product? I couldn't find it on their website. I did find however Castrol has a -51C pour point.
http://www.rgracing-oils.co.uk/TDS/Trans/SYNTRANS FE 75W.pdf

OP
OP

Machelen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The banging four banger
Do you want to use a different fluid because of noise and shift concerns when cold? If so why would you go from a straight weight 75 to a multi-grade 75w-80? Do you know the low temp pour point of the DG product? I couldn't find it on their website. I did find however Castrol has a -51C pour point.
http://www.rgracing-oils.co.uk/TDS/Trans/SYNTRANS FE 75W.pdf
I think you need to use 75w-FE to be eligible for warranty

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
How exactly is Ford going to tell just by looking at the fluid that it doesn't meet their specs? Do they really go to the troubles of digging into the composition of the chemicals in the fluid at a molecular level to tell that it doesn't have what it needs to have?

Also, what's stopping you from draining said fluid and filling it back up with OE spec fluid right before taking the car into service with a broken transmission?

I think some of you guys are overthinking this.

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
How exactly is Ford going to tell just by looking at the fluid that it doesn't meet their specs? Do they really go to the troubles of digging into the composition of the chemicals in the fluid at a molecular level to tell that it doesn't have what it needs to have?

Also, what's stopping you from draining said fluid and filling it back up with OE spec fluid right before taking the car into service with a broken transmission?

I think some of you guys are overthinking this.
I'm sure they're willing to do a fluid analysis to avoid paying out $3000+ for a new tranny. And I'm also sure if you drained it and refilled the OEM, the anaylsis would should traces of the other fluid

Sponsored

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
Yea, it sucks Ford won't warranty the tranny if you use BG fluid. It's the only reason why I haven't swapped it out yet. I got the BG kit sitting in my garage, guess I'll wait until 40-50k miles.

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby 350GT Steeda springs, sways, camber plates, toe links etc: 14 BMW 328d
Yea, it sucks Ford won't warranty the tranny if you use BG fluid. It's the only reason why I haven't swapped it out yet. I got the BG kit sitting in my garage, guess I'll wait until 40-50k miles.
Actually, BG Synchro-Max does meet Ford's specs and the latest spec sheets show that...

<TED>

hulk_smash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Car shifts so much smoother (on track and on street) with BG Synchro vs OEM trans fluid. So to me that means the moving parts are better lubricated and can withstand the heat better.

Also BG 5W30 has given me excellent wear on track (confirmed by Blackstone Labs).

Also I haven't overheated the diff with 75W140 BG gear oil. But I have only tracked in fall, spring, winter. I have yet to test it in the summer weather.

I'm surprised how everyone is overcooking the diff. I'm an advanced driver and have had no problems with the diff thus far. (knock on wood)
Sponsored