Sponsored

Oil cooler failure - first hand experiences?

Bushranger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT auto fastback
I am confused. I read it as, if there is no contamination then go to step 2. Step 2 says replace the oil cooler. OK its not a recall but isn't it something they should perform at the next service?
Sponsored

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
It's saying that if oil or water is contaminated (ie internal leak) replace the engine. If it's an external leak only replace the cooler. Dealer should check for contamination and leaks during any service, but if they find nothing there's nothing to fix and because it's not a recall they won't replace it as a matter of course / precautionary measure.

It's not a good situation for us because of the lack of information. The TSB mentions build dates but it's only based on what Ford knows currently, unless they found a fundamental issue and rectified it then cars outside that build range may also end up being affected.

If I thought I could get a half decent answer out of Ford in relation to what's causing the failure, and their remediation, I'd call them. Alternatives are to spend $1k plus on something like a Mishimoto remote cooler kit and more on fitting unless you can do it yourself, or just keep an eye on it, neither of which should be required.

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
It's saying that if oil or water is contaminated (ie internal leak) replace the engine. If it's an external leak only replace the cooler. Dealer should check for contamination and leaks during any service, but if they find nothing there's nothing to fix and because it's not a recall they won't replace it as a matter of course / precautionary measure.

It's not a good situation for us because of the lack of information. The TSB mentions build dates but it's only based on what Ford knows currently, unless they found a fundamental issue and rectified it then cars outside that build range may also end up being affected.

If I thought I could get a half decent answer out of Ford in relation to what's causing the failure, and their remediation, I'd call them. Alternatives are to spend $1k plus on something like a Mishimoto remote cooler kit and more on fitting unless you can do it yourself, or just keep an eye on it, neither of which should be required.
The idea of water contaminating the engine oil, or losing engine oil, is a huge worry. Loosing oil will be easy to spot on garage floor, but also need to keep eye out on coolant fluid colour now. What a pain.

Bushranger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
OK. So if there is no leak then they do nothing to the high risk cars (Pre July 16). But if it leaks internally they change the engine? Seems a huge consequence in lieu of changing a small part. I guess they are counting the days til these high risk cars run out of warranty, which is average 18 months. I am getting pissed off at this. Where do we stand legally if the engine requires replacing due to this known issue after warranty? I accept that parts may fail and have severe consequences, but my car will only have approx 20,000 kms after warranty and I should not have to think it may suffer an engine failure at any time due to a known high probability risk of failure of a small item. (Does anyone know how much the oil cooler costs?)
Now I have to hope my AC evaporator fails as well as I have to hope my Oil Cooler fails before Warranty expires.

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
OK. So if there is no leak then they do nothing to the high risk cars (Pre July 16). But if it leaks internally they change the engine? Seems a huge consequence in lieu of changing a small part. I guess they are counting the days til these high risk cars run out of warranty, which is average 18 months. I am getting pissed off at this. Where do we stand legally if the engine requires replacing due to this known issue after warranty? I accept that parts may fail and have severe consequences, but my car will only have approx 20,000 kms after warranty and I should not have to think it may suffer an engine failure at any time due to a known high probability risk of failure of a small item. (Does anyone know how much the oil cooler costs?)
Now I have to hope my AC evaporator fails as well as I have to hope my Oil Cooler fails before Warranty expires.
I'm hearin ya. Had my car for 20months now, with only 5000k's. Not a daily driver and i spent time overseas. Gee, i need to start putting K's on it. Before warranty goes. Especially, reading about issues on this forum. I already had to rectify paint/panel alignment issues and Pony projector, on drivers side.

Sponsored

RSPEC-015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Territory & Mustang GT
I would suggest maintaining a good relationship with the selling dealer.

My first car from Sinclair Ford was a 2003 GTP. It was rarely driven but I always had it serviced there. Well out of warranty it fell victim to the plastic timing chain tensioners; I offered to pay labour if they covered the parts but they approached Ford who agreed to cover the lot based on it was a known fault, car was looked after and was serviced at the dealership.

Every car I've bought from them has been serviced by them and I've only encountered a few warranty issues all dealt with by them.

I'm especially fussy with the Mustang given there are a few issues but based on my experience I'm sure Ford Australia will come to the party if I have a problem with known issues.

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
I would suggest maintaining a good relationship with the selling dealer.

My first car from Sinclair Ford was a 2003 GTP. It was rarely driven but I always had it serviced there. Well out of warranty it fell victim to the plastic timing chain tensioners; I offered to pay labour if they covered the parts but they approached Ford who agreed to cover the lot based on it was a known fault, car was looked after and was serviced at the dealership.

Every car I've bought from them has been serviced by them and I've only encountered a few warranty issues all dealt with by them.

I'm especially fussy with the Mustang given there are a few issues but based on my experience I'm sure Ford Australia will come to the party if I have a problem with known issues.
Moral of the story. If you own a new Mustang, best you take your dealers service manager out for dinner and drinks.:cheers:

RSPEC-015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Territory & Mustang GT
Haha! Not quite. I reckon I pay a slight premium at Sinclair Ford but they actually have some nights where they provide the dinner and the drinks. Hang on, my premium has probably paid for them!!

Seriously though, in all our dealings both parties have been happy I get a few little benefits and service and warranty have never been an issue.

I have enjoyed the dinner and drinks though!!

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
I agree with all of the comments above, bit I'm still not taking my dealer's service manager out for a few drinks. Nyet. Nein. :headbonk:

It's a stupid problem to have; it may or may not happen to your car but if it does you won't know where or when, and if it does it may or may not lunch the engine. And even if covered, having been through a dealer engine R&R I never want to go there again.

Having the TSB published means it's a known problem and that provides significant cred come problem time, but it also depends so much on the dealer. Warranty or not, for something like this you should be covered, I offered this in relation to the known aircon issue:

...since 2011 even if an item is out of warranty and breaks but really shouldn't according to reasonable expectation, eg engine after 4 years and service history, again they don't have much chance of avoiding their responsibilities: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-06-0...rights/2749924

Cold comfort though (no pun intended). For those of you who know you dealer well or have a service coming up, please ask them for their views it would be great to pool their feedback on the issue here as it might provide a clue as to the exact issue and if it's been fixed in cars built post the TSB nominated time frame. Hopefully it has.

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
Funny thing. When i decided to buy a new Mustang, back in 2014. I realized that am buying a Ford and an American built one at that. So, no surprises to me, that all these issues are arising, including paint defect's/panel alignment defect's etc.......:ford: Out of 55+ cars owned (we always had 2 or 3 cars, at any given time) Ford product's have always had the most issues. If the japs or even the koreans where building Mustang........:thumbsup: But then it wouldn't be a Mustang.

Sponsored

Bushranger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
I will keep the faith. We just need to keep the issue alive (which the internet helps dramatically). The crunch will obviously come in a little over 12 months when the first cars come out of warranty. If anyone finds out more info on the actual mode of failure and any experiences, from non members even, then please report in. Cars catching fire and engine failures ...... Hmmmm

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
There's a theory that a bit like early Jags they should've been built by the Germans. After all Lambos became proper supercars when they got bought out by VW, and Aston Martin's fortunes improved no end when they go bought out by...Ford!

But some cars several times the price of ours have even more outrageous issues. Examples include the Porsche Cayenne cylinder liner and 911 G50 (?) gearbox shaft issue, and BMW and Audi extended oil change intervals. Then from Japan we had oil surge in early GTRs, and the Mitsubishi balance shaft fiasco.

This is tame by comparison, but it's still not good enough.

What Bushranger said.

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
Glad I got 6 year FORD FACTORY WARRANTY.
Apart from FoMoCo rubber boot mat my car remains mint and unmolested.
So no wriggle room.
I also get car serviced at dealership.

Not happy readingabout these issues. Mine is Garage Queen that I plan to keep forever.
Three year warranty underwhelming when $14 k Kia has 7 year unlimited km warranty.

Last edited:

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
There's a theory that a bit like early Jags they should've been built by the Germans. After all Lambos became proper supercars when they got bought out by VW, and Aston Martin's fortunes improved no end when they go bought out by...Ford!

But some cars several times the price of ours have even more outrageous issues. Examples include the Porsche Cayenne cylinder liner and 911 G50 (?) gearbox shaft issue, and BMW and Audi extended oil change intervals. Then from Japan we had oil surge in early GTRs, and the Mitsubishi balance shaft fiasco.

This is tame by comparison, but it's still not good enough.

What Bushranger said.
Very few, if any jap built cars, would leave the factory, with panel alignment and paint defect issues, such as Mustangs. The first s550 Mustang i saw, after ordering mine, was the dealer principals car. Panel alignment was all over the place. I thought, god bless Ford America. lol:eyebulge: At least,my car turned out to be better. But still needed attention including paint defects. What about that bonnet pinch/misalignment, that blind Freddy can see on all those flash new Mustang pics. Mustang's like the hot girl friend, who gets away with a lot because.............:headbonk:

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
Glad I got 6 year FORD FACTORY WARRANTY.
Apart from FoMoCo rubber boot mat my car remains mint and unmolested.
So no wriggle room.
I also get car serviced at dealership.

Not happy readingabout these issues. Mine is Garage Queen that I plan to keep forever.
Three year warranty underwhelming when $11 k Kia has 7 year unlimited km warranty.
Ford could license Kia to build Mustang and not tell us. Better build lol
Sponsored