Sponsored

1st Tech pack With Trans Cooler!

SVTDSM

@Serpent_Stangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
So... After booking two days of track fun for April 9-10th I decided I was going to tackle the transmission cooler.

I had 3 basic goals for this install.

1) and most obvious... Make it through a full session without going into limp.

2) mount the cooler as close to the OEM (track pack/R) location as possible to take advantage of the engineering that was already done by Ford.

3) don't cut, or drill anywhere on the vehicle.

Number 3 made this install pretty difficult but so far I was able to achieve goals 2, and 3. We'll find out if goal number 1, the most important goal was achieved this Saturday.

Install is pretty much complete now I just need to get some shorter bolts for the cooler brackets, flush the pump, and tighten a few lines. Also I'm still waiting for the air duct that goes in place of the block off panel my car had in the front bumper. Should have it in the morning, then I can put my bumper back on and do some street testing.

The cooler I used is a 15 row from Cx racing. It was the closest in design, and overall dimensions that I could find to the factory cooler.

The pump is a Mocal 2.1GPM part# MOC-17522HT
The best place I found to mount the pump, and stick to goal number 3 was to delete the w/w fluid tank and utilize the factory holes for the bracket.

Once the pump was mounted I began making the brackets for the coolers, once again only using pre-existing holes.

For the transmission I used the fill and drain plug locations. On the drain I used a 90 degree 1/2" male npt to 8an adapter. On the fill I needed to use a straight 1/2" to 8an adapter then a 90 degree 8an swivel on the hose side to clear the case.

I will say now... This is NOT the optimal way to cool the transmission fluid. Being that the fill plug and drain plug are so close to each other, the reality is some of the incoming cooled fluid is going to fall right back into the cooling loop. With that being said it should still have some cooling affect, and I believe because the temp sensor for the transmission is also in pretty much a direct path with the incoming cooled fluid, that it will prevent limp mode.

In the future I may have the case tapped for a more optimal location for the incoming cooled fluid. Really depends on if I end up getting an R or not.
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Excellent post. A method to your madness, clear photos, and detailed explanations. Good job!

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
Nice job on the install, that is pretty much the way I plan to update mine. Do you plan to add a temperature gauge to monitor the oil temperature?
Also, I'm looking at using the side port on the bottom of the transmission so I can keep the hose off the bottom. I'll need to drill and tap the case, but I think it is a better spot.
Now for the differential.

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Great info man. Hope this works like a charm

What are your plans for the wiper resevior?

Sponsored

OP
OP
SVTDSM

SVTDSM

@Serpent_Stangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Do you plan to add a temperature gauge to monitor the oil temperature?
I have a Ngauge so I can monitor the transmission oil temperature.

OP
OP
SVTDSM

SVTDSM

@Serpent_Stangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Great info man. Hope this works like a charm

What are your plans for the wiper resevior?
Thanks!

As far as the w/w res. Nothing, I never use it.
Saves 9lbs.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
SVTDSM

SVTDSM

@Serpent_Stangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Also, I'm looking at using the side port on the bottom of the transmission so I can keep the hose off the bottom. I'll need to drill and tap the case, but I think it is a better spot.
I wouldn't worry about ground clearance. the transmission cross member and the oil pan hang lower than the line I used for the drain.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Just curious if there is room to mount your pump to your brackets, and then keep the w/w reservoir?

Design looks great! Looking forward to seeing your results.

-T

FPCV8YO

Rode Hard & Put Away Wet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster
Is 2.1 gpm enough? I thought I remember reading that 3 gpm was needed?

Sponsored
OP
OP
SVTDSM

SVTDSM

@Serpent_Stangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Just curious if there is room to mount your pump to your brackets, and then keep the w/w reservoir?

Design looks great! Looking forward to seeing your results.

-T
Thanks!

No, between the pump, the brake duct and the cooler all the real estate is accounted for.

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Awesome! I'm excited to hear about how well it works.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
You're a hero!

bpracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FR-S, 2005 F250
Very nice.

OP
OP
SVTDSM

SVTDSM

@Serpent_Stangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Is 2.1 gpm enough? I thought I remember reading that 3 gpm was needed?
Pretty much all the dif/trans cooler pumps I was able to find range from 1-2gpm. I did as much research as I could on pump choice. I also spoke to a few race shops about flow rate. Bottom line too much flow can be bad for two reasons. 1. Fluid doesn't stay in cooler long enough to cool it. 2. Too much flow can cause a aeration of the fluid actually causing temps to rise.

Guess I'll find out though...
Sponsored