Sponsored

Autocar reviews the '18 GT

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
In fairness though with good reason, the ZF8 is heralded as the best automatic (torque converter) there is and having driven it in BMW's and now its in my Jag, its super smart in D or S and on paddles is as practically as responsive as PDK.

PDK, DCT are super slick and responsive on paddles.

Problem is its all about what your used too and what your expecting, when I had an A6 for a week I found in full auto it was slow to kick down, so I resorted to having it in track mode and S everywhere on the paddles, but unfortunately it was unresponsive and slow on the paddles compared to rivals like ZF8, PDK and DCT.

I am sure the A10 is better shall drive one in near future for a week or so, but can see from the videos its still gets confused in auto and is not particular fast on paddles, though an improvement over A6.
The auto in my A8, D4, is very much better than the S-Tronic I had in my A5. It's fair to suggest not all auto gear boxes are created equal.
I hear the A10 is a good shifter and I'd hope any residual wrinkles will be ironed-out by Ford.
I think either gear box can suite the Mustang, which isn't the case for many cars.

I'd decided the S-Tronic in my A5 wasn't enhancing my enjoyment of driving it. So I ordered a manual with my GT, off the experience of my A5 .