Buying Used in the UK

tweedbean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Two MINI's but looking for a Mustang
Hi all, my names James and I am looking at potentially buying a used Mustang GT. Is there anything I should look out for, have a budget of 30k?

Any common problems?
Any questions I should ask, outside the usual things, specific to Mustangs?
Is the original warranty linked to the car and does it transfer owner to owner for the first 3 years?

Fancy triple yellow or white.
Sponsored

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
have a budget of 30k?
Ā£30k will get you a pretty decent GT.

Any common problems?
AC compressor likes to shit the bed.
Oil cooler likes to shit the bed.
Make sure a recall on the wiring harness is complete as it was to fix an urgent fire hazard.
Footwell likes to leak water.

Those are the only issues I personally know of.

For extra peace of mind, see if its got a decent coating of under seal.

Any questions I should ask, outside the usual things, specific to Mustangs?
Nothing specific other than "how many mods are currently on it and how sloppily have you put them on?"

Is the original warranty linked to the car and does it transfer owner to owner for the first 3 years?
Not transferred. You'd have to buy a new warranty package.

Fancy triple yellow or white.
Both are relatively rare. I've not seen a used TY as of yet.

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
Ā£30k will get you a pretty decent GT.

AC compressor likes to shit the bed.
Oil cooler likes to shit the bed.
Make sure a recall on the wiring harness is complete as it was to fix an urgent fire hazard.
Footwell likes to leak water.

Those are the only issues I personally know of.

For extra peace of mind, see if its got a decent coating of under seal.

Nothing specific other than "how many mods are currently on it and how sloppily have you put them on?"

Not transferred. You'd have to buy a new warranty package.

Both are relatively rare. I've not seen a used TY as of yet.
Agree with all above - also check oil change history / service history - and if TY really really check the paint finish - everywhere!! AND

Read everything you can on this site - it is a fantastic place to pick up information on the Mustang!

all the best

Bob

christianUK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
GT auto
There are a couple of other very minor things that some people have found cropping up, but it is year dependent.
If your car is a '16 (Sync 2 and no nipple on the roof) the Mustang puddle lamp projections were made of paper and prone to disintegration. If the car is under warranty they just replace them. Mine was a 17 model but still had the old lamps and this was done. The new projector cutouts are metal and don't disintegrate.
You can replace the Ford water oil cooler with an air oil cooler (basically a second smaller radiator) and that problem goes away. I've done this.
The loom problem just affected the early cars.
Mind doesn't leak and I have done the underseal. Most of the other "problems" are really just improvements. It's very common to fit a lockout kit to the rear suspension for example so that you minimise wheel hop when you put your foot down and braces to increase lateral stiffness are also common. You'll see quite a lot of the same stuff listed in people's signatures where they've mentioned what they've done.

But in short for me it's been the best car I've ever owned and the first car I ever bought new.

Sponsored

Toecutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
But in short for me it's been the best car I've ever owned and the first car I ever bought new.
Have to agree with this. Had my 2018 5 weeks now after having a Jeep for the past 7 years. Yes the fuel etc costs more but the smile on my face says I just don't care.

Drcooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I think you will find that the initial 3 years manufacturer warranty follows the car regardless of owner.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
I think you will find that the initial 3 years manufacturer warranty follows the car regardless of owner.
The five year does as well. When you buy a car with remaining manufacturer warranty it virtually always follows the car

Toecutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The five year does as well. When you buy a car with remaining manufacturer warranty it virtually always follows the car
This was part of the reason I paid for the extended warranty. If I do sell, it will only benefit resale value with a new buyer having peace of mind they are covered.

Flamesey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY19 Fastback V8 5.0 Race Red White Stripes Custom Pack 2 Magneride Spoiler Ebony
Try and get a new one as I donā€™t suppose Ā£30k is that far off a deal in the next few months with all the 17s they are trying to shift

Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This was part of the reason I paid for the extended warranty. If I do sell, it will only benefit resale value with a new buyer having peace of mind they are covered.
Yeah exactly

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Try and get a new one as I donā€™t suppose Ā£30k is that far off a deal in the next few months with all the 17s they are trying to shift
New 17 GTs with delivery mileage are not going to drop below Ā£35k

Flamesey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY19 Fastback V8 5.0 Race Red White Stripes Custom Pack 2 Magneride Spoiler Ebony
Ā£35k isnā€™t that far off Ā£30k for a new one but the next few months will be interesting now the 18 is also discontinued and we are into the 19, there is a big difference between the 17 and the 19. I have a feeling they will be below Ā£35k myself when 17s and 18s are side by side on the car lot

marzman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Grabber Blue GT
If financing a used car, that'll add up to another Ā£2-3k depending on amount financed and finance method etc. Or go for 0% on a brand new one... just sayin'

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ā£35k isnā€™t that far off Ā£30k for a new one but the next few months will be interesting now the 18 is also discontinued and we are into the 19, there is a big difference between the 17 and the 19. I have a feeling they will be below Ā£35k myself when 17s and 18s are side by side on the car lot
18s are an improvement but not Ā£8k better so I think the 15s will retain their value. Especially if some of the 17s are only Ā£140 a year road tax. Plus not everyone likes the front of the 18s.
Sponsored