Sponsored

Pony Wont Start

Yellow GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
So after a few weeks sitting in the garage I decided to take the pony out for a drive.
Got into the car and this first thing that I noticed was that the Infotainment was not showing the running pony. Instead it was showing that the SYNC is updating, on and off.
Hit the START button and the lights inside went crazy (on and off) with clicking noise inside the car but the car wont start.
Also, the auto gear shift is locked on P.
I dont think its the battery because all the light come on (and off and on...).
Before I call RACQ, has anyone had this problem before that could shed some lights? :shrug:

Update:
Just checked the battery level and its showing 9.5V. So it could be the battery then...
Should I just get a charger from Supercheap or buy a new battery?
Sponsored

Last edited:

gMit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Subaru BRZ
I may very well be wrong, but I thought if your battery has started to drop V it's better to just buy a new one than try keep charging it

IngoStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Fastback Velocity Blue
Probably best off replacing the battery. Also invest in a CTEK Charger. If you leave your vehicle for weeks at a time, it can be hooked up to the battery and will not overcharge.

OP
OP

Yellow GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
Aight, new battery it is. Any good recommendation?

Yeah, I need to look into the CTEK charger...

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Mine has failed to start once after a few days of idleness - I could have left a map light on.

NRMA got me going and haven't had a problem since.

Sponsored

FMGTV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
use to own - "2017 Mustang GT V8 Ruby Red Manual"
So after a few weeks sitting in the garage I decided to take the pony out for a drive.
Got into the car and this first thing that I noticed was that the Infotainment was not showing the running pony. Instead it was showing that the SYNC is updating, on and off.
Hit the START button and the lights inside went crazy (on and off) with clicking noise inside the car but the car wont start.
Also, the auto gear shift is locked on P.
I dont think its the battery because all the light come on (and off and on...).
Before I call RACQ, has anyone had this problem before that could shed some lights? :shrug:

Update:
Just checked the battery level and its showing 9.5V. So it could be the battery then...
Should I just get a charger from Supercheap or buy a new battery?
So how many weeks since use?
Normal for Mustang batteries to slowly go flat, if not used for 3 or more weeks .. I had not used my car which is only 12 mths old for 3.5 weeks and my battery was flat. A quick charge and all was OK. Would be surprised if your battery required replacement if pony is 2016 model. :cheers:

OP
OP

Yellow GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
So how many weeks since use?
Normal for Mustang batteries to slowly go flat, if not used for 3 or more weeks .. I had not used my car which is only 12 mths old for 3.5 weeks and my battery was flat. A quick charge and all was OK. Would be surprised if your battery required replacement if pony is 2016 model. :cheers:
Well I think mine is close to 4 weeks as well.
I hardly drive the car though. I have less than 2900km on the clock since April 2016...
It's more of an art decoration for me :D
So you reckon if I charge it with the CTEK Charger, I'll be right?

FMGTV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
use to own - "2017 Mustang GT V8 Ruby Red Manual"
Well I think mine is close to 4 weeks as well.
I hardly drive the car though. I have less than 2900km on the clock since April 2016...
It's more of an art decoration for me :D
So you reckon if I charge it with the CTEK Charger, I'll be right?
Should be OK :cheers:

pharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Ruby Red - MY17
Same has happened to me, if you leave the car in Full Guard mode for 2-3 weeks, the battery will go flat, if parked in your garage, it is best not to use Full Guard

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Probably best off replacing the battery. Also invest in a CTEK Charger. If you leave your vehicle for weeks at a time, it can be hooked up to the battery and will not overcharge.
I have had a CTEK charger for years and have only used it for charging a flat battery, in particular, an old tractor that often had a dead battery from lack of use. Now, are these the same as what people on the US forums call battery tenders that they use on cars in winter storage.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Just jump start it from an idling car and let it charge itself on its own. Battery is probably fine. Relax.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Just jump start it from an idling car and let it charge itself on its own. Battery is probably fine. Relax.
...and get a Ctek. You do about the same km as me and I've invested in one because over the years across various cars I've become tired of replacing batteries or having to charge them every time I want to drive the car, which isn't good for the battery.

steerage250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback, 1928 Model A Ford
I've left mine on full guard for a 4 week holiday and not had a problem. Never bin a newish battery after just one incident. Charge it by one means or another and give it another go. Long-term though, if you only use it for a brief drive one/week or less, a Ctek charger will prolong the life of your battery

OP
OP

Yellow GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
Ok, I bought a CTEK MXS 5.0 online. Hopefully I'll get it in a few days time.
I know I could have waited for it to arrive and read the instruction but....
Those that have the MXS 5.0, in my situation, what setting do I need to choose or does the unit automatically choose the right setting for me?