Vehicle(s)
use to own - "2017 Mustang GT V8 Ruby Red Manual"

Flying Fiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Model GT Fastback Oxford White Auto
Nice!

They do look great in their full race mode as per the recent 12 hour Mustangs at Bathurst.

Vinno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Fastback Manual
Will be interesting to see how they look as the have to have a raised roofline to fit the Supercars profile.

Sponsored

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Twister Orange 2020 FN GT
Here’s hoping they will be V8s and not V6, especially given Holden has paused or abandoned their V6 race motor development. Media reports are divided 50/50 it seems, V6 twin turbo vs V8 being destined for the Mustangs.

Only one more sleep before we find out, it happens on the anniversary of the announcement of the original Mustang, 17th of April 1964. Tune into the Ford Australia Facebook page, just before 11am: https://www.facebook.com/FordAustralia/videos/10157502459103747/?q=ford%20australia

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Here’s hoping they will be V8s and not V6, especially given Holden has paused or abandoned their V6 race motor development. Media reports are divided 50/50 it seems, V6 twin turbo vs V8 being destined for the Mustangs.

Only one more sleep before we find out, it happens on the anniversary of the announcement of the original Mustang, 17th of April 1964. Tune into the Ford Australia Facebook page, just before 11am: https://www.facebook.com/FordAustralia/videos/10157502459103747/?q=ford australia
Unless they used a version of the 3.5L Ecoboost that they're using for the Ford GT in WEC and the Weathertech Series, I doubt it'll be a V6. They just don't have time to do the development, and the GT's engine is probably too expensive for Supercars, given the focus on reducing costs in the sport and Ford's inability to provide full factory support.

I just really wish I could watch Supercars in the States without using the awful Supercars app, or watching the replays a month later (and completely watered down).

JR

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Unless they used a version of the 3.5L Ecoboost that they're using for the Ford GT in WEC and the Weathertech Series, I doubt it'll be a V6. They just don't have time to do the development, and the GT's engine is probably too expensive for Supercars, given the focus on reducing costs in the sport and Ford's inability to provide full factory support.

I just really wish I could watch Supercars in the States without using the awful Supercars app, or watching the replays a month later (and completely watered down).

JR
It would be based on the 3.5 V6 I would think. It might be expensive though, as you suggest. Maybe they will start with a V8 and introduce the V6 later, as Holden is/was planning.

I can’t help but think the recent Holden decision is related. Although it could just come down to the fact that Holden could be in a very bad financial position at the moment. They seem to have very major product supply issues just around the corner.

What is the downside of the Supercars app?

alexcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Magnetic
Penske already use the coyote 5L as the base block dont they? seems like a no brainer for 2019, perhaps in years to come they might move to a V6.

Sponsored

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
It's confirmed to be V8. Don't know how the V6 reports started.

I think the current Supercar V8 is an old Ford Racing 'crate' racing engine. It will continue on in the Mustang it seems.

Ford Performance in the USA will do most of the design and development of the car according to Tim Edwards of Tickford Racing today.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
They'll probably start with a Mustang body over existing running gear, which are largely control items anyway. Then just the 'small' matter of making up the interior, cage etc and working out suspension pickup points.

apsilon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue manual GT in transit
I think it'll largely be the other way, cage, chassis and driveline etc will all be existing, a custom body and aero package styled to look like a Mustang will need to be made to go over it all. It's likely that just like the so called Commodore and Falcon based cars, the only factory parts that'll likely be used are lights and dash cap.

These are custom built race cars in no real way associated with their namesakes. It's just a marketing operation. Ford had to and was always going to approve the "Mustang". They have no more Falcons to sell so what's the point in marketing them?

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
It will be a relatively easy switch. They will mainly need new brackets, etc to fit the composite body panels to the existing chassis. Basically most of the panels wil be ‘stretched’ or ‘shrunk’ to fit the current Falcon chassis layout. Even converting a Commodore would be just as easy. Most teams will build new chassis however.

The unfortunate thing is the height of the Mustang body will need to be increased to fit over the main control chassis, that being basically the cage between the dashboard and the parcel shelf. It will be a few inches higher than a standard Mustang. The length of the body’s ‘wheelbase’ might have to change to fit the control wheelbase length too. The wheelbase of the Falcon has not been factory standard either for much of the V8 era.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the ‘A’ pillar has to be moved forward on the body to fit the roll cage, but hopefully the changes will no be overly noticeable.