PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Ok, I bought a CTEK MXS 5.0 online. Hopefully I'll get it in a few days time.
I know I could have waited for it to arrive and read the instruction but....
Those that have the MXS 5.0, in my situation, what setting do I need to choose or does the unit automatically choose the right setting for me?
Good choice. I earlier asked in this thread a question about "winter storage" type charging and I have researched further and find that all the CTEK chargers have a pulse charge function that allows the charger to be on the car for months at a time keeping the battery topped up between 95% and 100%. So for people who may not be driving regularly the charger can be hooked up permanently while in storage.
Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
The instructions are very good, basically there are 4 symbols on the unit: a motorbike, an Optima type battery, deep cycle/recondition, and a car. Unless Mr Battery has been well dead for ages set it onto the car symbol and leave it. I don't think the basic unit comes with the inline battery health indicator light, so you have to look at the charger to see what the health of the battery is. With the indicator light connected to the battery I can disconnect the charger from time to time to get the cabling out of the way but leave the indicator connected to the battery and positioned where I can see it, as soon as the little LEDs go from Amber to Red out comes the charger which takes 2 seconds to connect to the indicator light to start charging.

A popular modification is to have the battery end of the indicator hard wired to the terminals and the other end routed to somewhere behind the front bar, that way you don't even need to open the hood to connect the charger.

OP
OP

Yellow GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
@ Enoch

I did see your installation video and I like it but I dont have the patient and the skill level that most people have. I peaked at changing light bulbs...

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Mate if you want to go down this path a good sparky should be able to rig this up in well under an hour including terminal adapters for the battery.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Yellow GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
The defibrillator has just arrived! Cant wait to revive my pony...
CTEK.jpg

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Just like that:D:D

Hi Andy, did you end up making the grill exit connection a solid fixing or do you continue to pull it out a bit to connect.

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
Just like that:D:D

Hi Andy, did you end up making the grill exit connection a solid fixing or do you continue to pull it out a bit to connect.
There’s about 5” of loose cable behind, so I pinch the connector between my fingers and just pull it forward slightly.:)

Makes it easier to plug the charger in.

When I’ve finished I just unplug and push the connector back into the honeycomb:thumbsup:

It’s been on over a year now, and only one person has spotted it and asked what it was for:D:shrug:

Reactions: PKs

FMGTV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
use to own - "2017 Mustang GT V8 Ruby Red Manual"
Hi everybody.
Just purchased this charger to maintain my Mustang battery.
Very easy to use...just plug into OBD2 port with plug adaptor.
This charger will maintain the battery no problems with this setup.
You cannot try to charge a flat battery from the OBD2 port but you can definitely maintain it with a 1.1 amp charger while your car sits in the garage.
Great pricing if you shop around.
:cheers:
Can use these links for products.
https://www.autoelec.com.au/genius-smart-battery-charger-noco-6v-12v-car-motor
https://www.autoelec.com.au/genius-smart-battery-charger-12v-accessory-obdii-a
Sponsored

Last edited: