Sponsored

Anybody ever fall "out of love" with owning your Mustang?

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I also do some target shooting. And often times I stop getting to the range for months at a time due to work, and other crap, and think about selling some guns off that are just collecting dust. Hell, my Glocks haven't been out in at least 2 years.

But back to the Mustang. I wanted a Camaro or Mustang since I was 13 years old and lusted after owning it. Back then the city wasn't as congested, gas was cheaper, and I had less responsibility.

Factory ordered my 5.0 in 2015 in my late 20's. I drive this and have my daily Toyota sedan.

After living with it for over a year and a half, I am sadly starting to fall out of love with it.

-13 to 14 mpg with gas over 5 bucks a gallon (Canada....) really gets annoying.
-The congestion of everything means that even when I try to get away for a weekend or go for a leisurely drive, I hit a wall of traffic. And with all the condos, construction, etc. it just gets worse. The other day I was cruising along wonderfully and then BAM - wall of traffic. 4 lanes into 1 due to some gigantic condo buildings they were putting up. Felt like I was going to wear my clutch out inching along for like half an hour.
-Damage! I noticed somebody scraped up my side fender and I had to get it repainted. 1100 in damage, paid my insurance deduct and was on my way. Around that time I had to get a screw patched from the tread of my tire. Two days after picking it up from the body shop....SOMEBODY BACKED INTO MY FRONT BUMPER! :frusty:
-Weather here. It doesn't get too bad but it rains a lot and last year we had a lot of ice and snow which kept me parked for some time.

So with all of this crap, I am making payments, insurance, gas, repairs on a vehicle that's starting to feel like it's becoming a pain in the ass to own.

Now a part of me is thinking to sell both my cars, getting a 6 cyl small pickup like a Colorado or a Tacoma, and calling it a day.

Has this falling out of love happened to anybody here?
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Not really but you should get some exhausts. That will put smile on your face.
Yes the V8 is thirsty but also fun.

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
13 to 14 mpg? I get 24 on long drives and 21 avg between oil changes (use trip 2 as my oil change interval tracker)

If traffic is that bad for you that you get that kind of bad mileage, I'm not sure *any* car is going to make you happy.

Anyhoot... you sound a lot like me. I get bored with things real fast and chase shiny objects all the time. I pick up hobbies and get super into them, only to never think about them a year later.

I get bored with my GT sometimes and then start doing test drives of other cars, then I ultimately realize that it's a pretty great car all around and has tons of power and performance for the price. I recently went on a test drive rampage of the Golf R and Focus RS and got it out of my system.

Do what makes you happy dude... if you're bored with the GT it's definitely not worth the car payment + insurance. I think of it as a mental health expense, but only if your mental health is improving! If you're unhappy, start exploring other options. You might find something you really love. It's always a risk though, "the grass is greener on the other side"

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
No offense man but it just sounds like you could have put more thought into the purchase. It doesn't seem like it makes sense to own a mustang GT by you with all of those factors.

I still think a Mustang GT should primarily be owned in rural areas. I know exactly what you mean about TRAFFIC. I live in the NYC area, so I deal with everything you do as well. Maybe not as bad in terms of weather. But I figured the GT over here would've just been a very expensive luxury. In the V6 if I floor it literally anywhere in just about any time I'm already on another car's ass.

Just my opinion, but if I were you I'd probably opt for something with AWD that's mostly focused on fun rather than speed but also a daily driver. Maybe a hot hatch or WRX or similar.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I would get a truck regardless. Sports cars have a place(fun and adrenaline), but trucks have a lot of uses that a car can't handle. Towing, hauling cargo, lots of passengers, 4wd for winter time, helping a friend pull a tree stump down. Get an old Toyota Tacoma or something similar. Take it out to the woods, on trails, mudding?

Sponsored

Seatown Stang

HereWeGo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Not really but you should get some exhausts. That will put smile on your face.
Yes the V8 is thirsty but also fun.
Will change your world!

As for your questions: I dont...until a new model comes out with fun tech and more HP lol

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
For the gun thing, buy more interesting guns. I go for pieces with historical significance and different types of actions and never get 2 of the same thing so it's pretty much always fun to go shoot any of them. My only Glock is a defensive gun and if not for that need I wouldn't own it. Not exciting whatsoever.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
I've got the adult ADD also. I jump around hobbies and interests. Got a gun collection and haven't been shooting in 2+ years. Haven't reloaded in 6+ years. My '66 GT Fastback hasn't been driven in over a year or two now and I still need to do minor (but costly) mods.
I build scale plastic models. Haven't touched one since last year. I've been bitten by the woodworking bug. Had to build a display case for my scale models and my diecast car collection. This led to other "must do" projects and buying "must have" tools.
But I drive my '15 everyday. It's my daily driver with or without traffic. I commute about 18 miles one way, half interstate driving. I have fun every day!

Reactions: Ebm

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I also do some target shooting. And often times I stop getting to the range for months at a time due to work, and other crap, and think about selling some guns off that are just collecting dust. Hell, my Glocks haven't been out in at least 2 years.

But back to the Mustang. I wanted a Camaro or Mustang since I was 13 years old and lusted after owning it. Back then the city wasn't as congested, gas was cheaper, and I had less responsibility.

Factory ordered my 5.0 in 2015 in my late 20's. I drive this and have my daily Toyota sedan.

After living with it for over a year and a half, I am sadly starting to fall out of love with it.

-13 to 14 mpg with gas over 5 bucks a gallon (Canada....) really gets annoying.
-The congestion of everything means that even when I try to get away for a weekend or go for a leisurely drive, I hit a wall of traffic. And with all the condos, construction, etc. it just gets worse. The other day I was cruising along wonderfully and then BAM - wall of traffic. 4 lanes into 1 due to some gigantic condo buildings they were putting up. Felt like I was going to wear my clutch out inching along for like half an hour.
-Damage! I noticed somebody scraped up my side fender and I had to get it repainted. 1100 in damage, paid my insurance deduct and was on my way. Around that time I had to get a screw patched from the tread of my tire. Two days after picking it up from the body shop....SOMEBODY BACKED INTO MY FRONT BUMPER! :frusty:
-Weather here. It doesn't get too bad but it rains a lot and last year we had a lot of ice and snow which kept me parked for some time.

So with all of this crap, I am making payments, insurance, gas, repairs on a vehicle that's starting to feel like it's becoming a pain in the ass to own.

Now a part of me is thinking to sell both my cars, getting a 6 cyl small pickup like a Colorado or a Tacoma, and calling it a day.

Has this falling out of love happened to anybody here?
You should've gotten a V6. Tremendous value for the money.

Myself was looking into V6, but got GT because of this forum.

P.S. No regrets so far. Lots of fun. But the other (rational) part of me says - V6 would've been smarter purchase :)

Sponsored

Semi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
79 ford f250 7.5l/2015 gt pp ruby red
I fell out of love with a motorcycle I spent years beautifying. 13k into a 3k bike.

Wanted Speed....

Bought a cbr1100xx Miss my old bike. Easy to pull in and out and tool around town.

But then I saw my first s550 last December and I had to have it. Bike's been sitting all year. I think the honeymoon is almost over, it's 500 bucks a month and I've got a truck and bike paid off. Should have thrown that 500 bucks a month into the house payment but...

I'd miss it terribly.

OP
OP
lazarus870

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
13 to 14 mpg? I get 24 on long drives and 21 avg between oil changes (use trip 2 as my oil change interval tracker)

If traffic is that bad for you that you get that kind of bad mileage, I'm not sure *any* car is going to make you happy.

Anyhoot... you sound a lot like me. I get bored with things real fast and chase shiny objects all the time. I pick up hobbies and get super into them, only to never think about them a year later.

I get bored with my GT sometimes and then start doing test drives of other cars, then I ultimately realize that it's a pretty great car all around and has tons of power and performance for the price. I recently went on a test drive rampage of the Golf R and Focus RS and got it out of my system.

Do what makes you happy dude... if you're bored with the GT it's definitely not worth the car payment + insurance. I think of it as a mental health expense, but only if your mental health is improving! If you're unhappy, start exploring other options. You might find something you really love. It's always a risk though, "the grass is greener on the other side"
The car I had before the S550 I had for almost 11 years, so I don't chase the latest and greatest. My cell phone was purchased in 2014, and my iPad like, 2011. I barely ever buy new things.

When i got the car circumstances were a little different. I had to move offices at work. My old office had a parking lot that was secure. Hell, I could leave the Mustang parked there for a while if I wanted to. New office has scarce parking and I think that's why I get the hit and runs - people trying to squeeze into tiny spots.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
OP most of the stuff you mentioned is unrelated to it being a mustang. Any car can get hit, scratched, run over a nail, etc. If you're just tired of being stressed out about stuff happening to it, that's actually a really common feeling. People do get rid of cool cars purely because they worry about them too much to even take them out of the garage.

As for the gas mileage, unless you're in stop and go traffic constantly there's no reason you shouldn't be getting 18 or so. 18 is all you'll get with a Tacoma..trust me on that one.

I don't get the full-on excitement I had the first few weeks I owned it (I would just look out the window and say to my wife "hey...that sweet ass mustang out there is mine), but I still enjoy every time I get behind the wheel and long, boring drives aren't something I dread so much.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Nope. I grin & giggle every time I drive it. And I drive it daily, in the worst traffic in the USA.

I love driving. The car is secondary, but is what makes the driving fun.
Sponsored