Sponsored

Gas/Diesel Banned by 2040

Ashiq73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 6 Speed Magnetic Metallic
So recently, as you have probably read, France plans to ban Gas/Diesel vehicles by 2040.

Today apparently Britain announced the same.

Wonder what the US will do in the near future.

2040 is 23 years away. Far and yet not that far.

I'll be close to 70 but if I am still able-bodied, I am sure I will still want to drive a good old fashioned performance car.

Maybe I'll still have my Mustang or have a newer by then but can't imagine if I can drive it anymore.

Oh man the world is changing and I don't think I like it...
Sponsored

ktp1598

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue California Special
Heard that this morning on the way to work. I think we may be a little farther out than 2040.

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
Yes, world is changing. I read about the UK but didn't know France was in on it. My initial thought after reading about UK's stance was figured, a dying country or one that lost its identity. Seems harsh, so had to check myself and then said ok, maybe they are just looking at other forms of power like battery. Regardless, EMEA is not has free as the AMS so there it is more or less.

Personally I'm all for emission control, improvement, and standards but without taxation or laws. Guide and incentive. My issue with electric/battery is waste and you still have to obtain electricity. UK's solar production window isn't has good as most US or LAR windows. Wind - sure, I guess. But not for home consumer.

Will be interesting to unfold.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
i can understand not allowing any vehicles in the country that are gas/ diesel vehicles produced after a certain year or not allowing anymore that are not registered in the country after a certain year but to force people to stop using it all together sell their cars and go buy new ones, that is going to be hard to enforce.

Sponsored

ATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 gt
yeah, I would imagine that they are talking about selling new gas cars. I'm going to be old the old guy cruising down the road in his grandfathered v8 :D

PSUpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 V-6 Premium Convertible
All so that coal can be burned to generate electricity for EV batteries that poison the earth. What a farce

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
More gas for us! Woot!

Mr. Dad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT w/PP Magnetic 6 spd; 2005 F150 FX4
My guess is that by 2039 they'll all be scrambling to push that deadline out.

s550_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
time to hit up the black market for them v8 engines.

Sponsored

DANA44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 convertible
Fake science from politicians. throughout the world there are many regions with electrical generation plants that run off of fossil fuels that are neither clean or efficient comparison to Modern internal combustion engine and its emission controlling devices.
Electrical distribution from the power plant to the end-user also is not all that efficient.

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
Sounds like they don't have much confidence that the economics of EVs will cause people to move to them on their own.

Firepath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special yet
They're banning the SALE of fossil vehicles by then. Hybrids are excluded. So not really that drastic of a change. Modern cars seem expensive and fragile and seem to be getting moreso, and full of gadgetry that true driving enthusiasts don't really have much care for. For them keeping and restoring more classic or primative cars will probably be more interesting.

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
This is a prime example of time inconsistency. This is way too far in advance to be set in stone.

Omega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP 401A, Roush 727
my opinion, not that it matters in the grand scheme of things...
They are doing this as a farce. While it's "good for the environment" it's all about the money.

Gas is far more expensive in England and France than it is here, so the profit margin is less... Supply/demand... " Green" energy is new and there are millions of new shine things to come out of it yet, all of them making money (and kick backs to the ones helping usher it all in).

That's why some in our government are in the boat. Some do care or are brainwashed (as it was pointed out, coal is where the vast majority of electricity comes from, and will for a long time) into thinking this is the right thing to do. Maybe down the road it will be... However gas is much cheaper here and a LOT of money comes from that energy sector that I really doubt we will see the paradigm shift anytime soon... UNLESS the government starts taking all the data from smart homes and cars and forces some sort of rationing upon the people... Then all bets are off.

At one time I think we (collectively) would have railed against such things, but now, as long as we have the internet to pacify us (again collectively), as long as Facebook and Amazon are functioning... Why would we care what happens... Sorry to 1984 on this thread LOL...
Sponsored