Sponsored

Why no FoMoCo Mustang derivatives?

Carzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rapid Red 401A PP1 A10 Magneride
Why aren't there FMC Mustang-based derivatives? The S550 platform has been around for over 2 years now; where are the spin-offs? Why isn't there a Lincoln Mark-IX LSC? Why not a Ford Capri with a hatch and a longer wheelbase? Or, as now in vogue, a four door coupe?

Are there any rumors to this effect? Does the ouster of Mark Shields usher in a gloomy era of self-driving pods?

I was wondering this as I was idly doodling a bit ago.
mustang-based.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Lincoln is not a performance brand, they're a luxury brand. A complex high performance V8 and a coupe chassis doesn't fit that portfolio.

Say what you want about the M5 but that's an offshoot of a luxury car that has a certain presence to it that can be backed by the base cars. The market for high performance 4 door cars in America is GARBAGE despite what's out there. The reason why Merc and BMW can get away with it is because of their simple yet obnoxiously complex system of vehicle classing. Take BMW for a moment. Their high performance derivatives need no fiddling with because they can drop in and slightly tweak their already in place chassis platforms to take their big straight 6 turbo and 4.4L V8 TT powerplants. And their names...1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 each one sells high and base performance sub models.

OP
OP
Carzzi

Carzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Depressing, isn't it? The desire for coupes in general is piddling. The true market leaders are vehicles ranging from those that have offroad capabilities to cute-utes with offroad pretensions. The most cynical of the latest crop is the Kia Niro, a crossover without even optional AWD.

The closest S550-spinoff idea making a marketing case might be, horror of horrors, a Mercedes GLE-like mustang 4-door coupe on stilts.

Dirtleg

BoostCreep
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
15' EB Prem PP, 07' GT (track Car), 01' RC51, 16" S1000XR
I was wondering about this a couple days ago myself. Lincolns are just so boring. They really do need a flagship sports car. Might be a great place for the Raptor 3.5 EB and new 10 speed auto to exist in a lighter, good handling vehicle. They could take it upmarket from the mustang and put gadgets all over/in it.

Cadillac has several cars (too many IMO) that fit in the performance group of luxury cars. You'd think Ford/Lincoln would have room for 1.

But in truth I have no idea who'd buy it.

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Why aren't there FMC Mustang-based derivatives? The S550 platform has been around for over 2 years now; where are the spin-offs? Why isn't there a Lincoln Mark-IX LSC? Why not a Ford Capri with a hatch and a longer wheelbase? Or, as now in vogue, a four door coupe?

Are there any rumors to this effect? Does the ouster of Mark Shields usher in a gloomy era of self-driving pods?

I was wondering this as I was idly doodling a bit ago.
A four door derivative..... Some would say that's a Fusion. :lol:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Carzzi

Carzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yet, if Ford had the dollars and the gumption, I'd say they should create a Lincoln spin-off. I'm not on board with the complex-V8-coupe-not-fitting-the-portfolio theory. But then, they neither have the dollars (recent financials) or the gumption we identify with (c'mon, the mobility head's now the CEO!).

Maybe we should be content that they haven't axed the Stang... yet.

OP
OP
Carzzi

Carzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A four door derivative..... Some would say that's a Fusion. :lol:
Shh!! That would mean that a FWD Probe might replace the Stang! Heaven forbid!

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
I've hoped Ford would bring back the Thunder Bird and maybe a Lincoln Mark VIIII.
This would be a good way to show case the 2.7/3.0/3.5 Engine family.
A Ultra Smooth Version of the 5.2 CPC would be down right Perfect.
This would give Lincoln a True Halo car it deserves.

OP
OP
Carzzi

Carzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was wondering about this a couple days ago myself. Lincolns are just so boring. They really do need a flagship sports car. Might be a great place for the Raptor 3.5 EB and new 10 speed auto to exist in a lighter, good handling vehicle. They could take it upmarket from the mustang and put gadgets all over/in it.

Cadillac has several cars (too many IMO) that fit in the performance group of luxury cars. You'd think Ford/Lincoln would have room for 1.

A 3.5EB and maybe a base 3.0EB, with a range-topper 5.0DFI.

Buyers, alas... I guess Ford's witnessing Cadillac's cratering ATS & CTS coupe sales and off-lease residual values and saving themselves the trouble.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I was wondering about this a couple days ago myself. Lincolns are just so boring. They really do need a flagship sports car.

That's the problem...they DON'T need one. Brands need to stick to their guns if those guns are loaded and are hitting the target why bother to alter the formula. These are COMPANIES. Their job is to make money, not to appease to the forums because we "think they need to do X Y Z because we said so." Why does Lincoln need a high performance model? What for? For who? The 60 year old who's looking for a plush ride and to ideally not go deaf from a thundering V8? Yeah, that's not going to go well. It's like saying Toyota needs an LFA derivative. Absolutely not. Their market brand is for the functional and practical person who couldn't care less about G forces, acceleration, and flare and they sell like hot cakes.

Sponsored

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
That's the problem...they DON'T need one. Brands need to stick to their guns if those guns are loaded and are hitting the target why bother to alter the formula. These are COMPANIES. Their job is to make money, not to appease to the forums because we "think they need to do X Y Z because we said so." Why does Lincoln need a high performance model? What for? For who? The 60 year old who's looking for a plush ride and to ideally not go deaf from a thundering V8? Yeah, that's not going to go well. It's like saying Toyota needs an LFA derivative. Absolutely not. Their market brand is for the functional and practical person who couldn't care less about G forces, acceleration, and flare and they sell like hot cakes.
:thumbsup: net shot

I do wish Toyota would bring back the Supra. That was the game changer

Fleeger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 401a Auto 3.31's
I have always like that version of a Lincoln based on the S550 mustang. I would have bought that if they had the balls to make it.

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
Actually the front drive Fusion and the Mustang have a great deal in common. That is why they are both built at Flatrock.
Sponsored