Sponsored

Engine braking

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
I can't seem to find any test dedicated to this but, I know that engine braking helps the car slow down.

So 2 tests:
80-0 mph while in neutral and flat on the brake pedal
80-0 mph while downshifting and flat on the brake pedal

What is the difference in length to slow the car down? If someone has done this test/website let me know. I can't seem to find the right keywords. I don't have a car right now to test and the questions been nagging me.
Sponsored

R3v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT MT & Recaro
Why do you care about difference? Engine breaking is obviously much longer. It is used to save brakes from unnecessary wear.

Ctease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Interesting question.

Not much difference, I think limiting factor is tire grip since engine braking only affects rear tires. The stock front to rear proportioning of brakes is very conservative so there is room for slightly stronger rear brakes. Engine braking could provide it. On the track you have to downshift while braking or the brakes will overheat. On street I don't see the advantage to downshift-engine-braking over regular engine braking, other than fun and/or practice for track. Engine does produce a lot of braking at high rpm. Trick is rev matching downshift as to not lock the rear tires. I loved my 2-way LSD in my previous car. When I downshifted in factory loose viscous LSD it would make the car squirly. With stiff 2-way, it would lock the diff and create very steady straight braking. Haven't played that hard on my new car.

But it's a great question. I'm interested in the actual results!

Last edited:

R3v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT MT & Recaro
Brake parts are cheaper than engines.
Are you serious :) You won't damage the engine in any way. Here in Europe where almost everyone drives manual people use engine breaking from the inception of cars. My dad taught me that when I was 17, it's widely used technique, much smoother and much safer for your brakes. And it has some additional benefits as fuel saving since ECU cuts off the fuel injection if your engine is being driven be wheels. For example, it's recommended to brake with engine when you're going downhill instead of stepping on brakes and overheating them.

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I agree, here in the UK we are taught NEVER to put the car in neutral whilst driving. Use both the engine and the brakes to slow down. If you come to a stop......put the clutch in, THEN put it in neutral and apply the hand (parking) brake.

I've seen many, many You Tube videos where someone will accelerate hard through the gears, get up to X-speed and then pop it in neutral. That seems an alien concept to me.

The other advantage of keeping it in gear......you have immediate control over the car should you need to accelerate out of a dangerous situation.

:)

12baller12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ciaran
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Fastback
Vehicle Showcase
I agree, here in the UK we are taught NEVER to put the car in neutral whilst driving. Use both the engine and the brakes to slow down. If you come to a stop......put the clutch in, THEN put it in neutral and apply the hand (parking) brake.

I've seen many, many You Tube videos where someone will accelerate hard through the gears, get up to X-speed and then pop it in neutral. That seems an alien concept to me.

The other advantage of keeping it in gear......you have immediate control over the car should you need to accelerate out of a dangerous situation.
Thats what I was taught as well - never put it in neutral unless you're at a standstill.

ForTheHordeKT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Performance Package
Heh... I always clutch in and brake. I only seem to engine brake if I know I'm going, say, 60 in a 50 zone or 85 in a 70-75mph hwy and I see a cop on the side of the road so they don't see my brakes lighting up like a xmas tree as I pass them LOL.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Our S550 6R80 has rev matching and I use the paddles a lot now as I am training myself for track time in the future after I have the suspension where I want it to be. As one person said it come in handy when slowing for the authorities and your speeding a little.
R&D helps everyone, experiment away!

revtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Here is just a little real world info from my personal experience. I have an 08 Grabber Orange manual six cylinder. Its been my daily for 6 years now. Had 30k when I bought it and it now has 125K. I almost never downshift. I throw it in neutral and coast to a stop. Sometimes I will coast in high gear to a near stop and pull it into neutral without using the clutch. Not a lot though mostly just coast in neutral.
Still on stock brakes. Took it to have brakes changed a few weeks ago, they said brakes are good. You need tie rod ends. They were right.
Still on stock clutch. Keep waiting for this shoe to drop. Have money set back for it. Has not happened yet.
So, not saying this is the correct way but this is my experience.
I have a 2016 V6 that I drive a bit more aggressively so we will see how the brakes and clutch fair on this car over time.

Brake pads are much cheaper than a clutch. Wear n Tear on motor? meh who knows. I was always told deceleration is the worst thing you can do to an engine. Engine is made to accelerate, brakes are made to slow down.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Freedom

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
Why do you care about difference? Engine breaking is obviously much longer. It is used to save brakes from unnecessary wear.
I care because I want to learn new/interesting things. Whats the problem in that? :)

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
i mainly use engine braking when i know ive got a long time to slow down like coming up to a red light that is a ways away. otherwise i just downshift to 3rd and clutch brake coming to a stop. have done it the same way on my other two manuals and havent had any issues engine brake or clutch related yet. this will be the first that i will keep for an extended period of time so time will tell but hasnt failed me yet

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
i have only really heard engine braking for like towing and such but pro drivers sort of do engine braking but the real intent is rev matching and getting to the proper gear for smoothest fastest time through the turn.. i think there is a reason most braking tests are done using just brakes, like mentioned earlier tires will contribute more to braking

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Engine braking is no more than slightly pressing on the brake pedal. It's not the same as slamming on the brakes.
The difference is probably 10% at max.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Of all my manual cars, I've only with one had to do any brake work, at all, my Genesis 3.8 with Brembos would warp the rotors very easily but other than that I never have brake issues/work as I engine brake and am pretty easy on the brake pedal.
Sponsored