Sponsored

"Cold" car won't shift.

butteroj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBPP
Ive owned many M/T vehicles, mostly German. Until this year I lived in CT where it gets cold all winter and have never had any issues like this.

Now living in Myrtle Beach where its been 45-50 for the last few weeks, and when I go to start my car in the morning or after work it refuses to go into gear. After 10 minutes it will finally somewhat go in, and about half an hour or so later its back to normal. This is on a 2015 Ecoboost with under 3,000 miles. WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
You need a trans fluid change...amsoil synchro mesh or bg! China aint Germany!

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Its a known fact the factory fill sux . Get it done and it will be like you gotta new transmission!

NowhereFast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem. PP, 1999 WS6,2010 Expedition
The fluid is not the issue. You could put water in the thing, it should still go into gear while sitting still.

Take it to someone who knows what they're doing. Sounds like a hydraulic/clutch related issue.

Sponsored

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
I agree on the hydraulics issue. You have air in the system and the air will expand/contract based on temperature preventing the clutch from completely disengaging and thus making shifting difficult.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Ive owned many M/T vehicles, mostly German. Until this year I lived in CT where it gets cold all winter and have never had any issues like this.

Now living in Myrtle Beach where its been 45-50 for the last few weeks, and when I go to start my car in the morning or after work it refuses to go into gear. After 10 minutes it will finally somewhat go in, and about half an hour or so later its back to normal. This is on a 2015 Ecoboost with under 3,000 miles. WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Ya you need to get this one in the shop, there's no reason you can't or shouldn't be able to row the gears sitting still like that.

OP
OP

butteroj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBPP
Dropped it off this morning. Will update when I get it back.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Sounds like the clutch is not disengaging.
Might be a clutch fluid thing.

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ignore the ITS YER FLUID moronacy and take that car to the dealer, something is wrong with it.
Op sorry for being a moron with my suggestion, hope the dealer can fix your problem..keep us posted!

OP
OP

butteroj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBPP
Just heard back from the dealership. The clutch pedal is not resetting fully. They ordered a master cylinder to see if that fixes the problem. Should be in tomorrow.

Firepath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special yet
Were you getting it into other gears in the video? It seemed like you could get it into other gears but not first.

Also if the engine was running and you couldn't get into gear due to no clutch disengagement I'd expect to hear grinding unless the oil is stopping the synchronizers from gaining any friction at all.

I know it is at the dealer now but to determine clutch disengagement versus gearbox problems (fluid / synchros) one can try pumping the clutch pedal. (Lift it up by hand if need be too, if not returning fully.) If it is air in the hydraulic system, pumping might build up enough of a pedal that it works.

An inversely temperature-dependant problem definitely points more to gearbox oil needing warming up more than it does air in the clutch fluid. I'd expect more gas at HIGHER temberature versus lower, and thus worse actuation due to compressing a larger gas bubble.

It will be interesting to see what the issue is.

OP
OP

butteroj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBPP
10 Days later and I finally have my car back. Changed gears on the 60 second drive back to my office.

They replaced the following:

4M5Z-11A152-A - CLUTCH SWITCH
6G9Z-11A152-A - CLUTCH SWITCH
FR3Z-7A543-B - MASTER CYLINDER

Clutch pedal feels awkward now. Grabs right at the top and is super light. Wonder if either of those clutch switches are the actual pedal, replacing my Steeda clutch spring back to stock? Wonder if the spring is the cause of all the problems?