Sponsored

Question about NOT replacing oil pump gears

turbohvn

Turbohvn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Fastback GT PP
Has anyone, that has installed a Whipple, but NOT replaced their oil pump gears with billet, had their original OPGs break? I'm not building a track car, just a weekend car that will be driven hard when driven. I would like to know how many of the Whipple club members have had their original gears fail. Thanks in advance to all that respond!
Sponsored

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GT PP Competition Orange
Why chance it, just replace it and be done.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Has anyone, that has installed a Whipple, but NOT replaced their oil pump gears with billet, had their original OPGs break? I'm not building a track car, just a weekend car that will be driven hard when driven. I would like to know how many of the Whipple club members have had their original gears fail. Thanks in advance to all that respond!
I could be wrong, but Lethal's car doesn't have them.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Wanna bet a new engine on it never failing? That was the question I asked myself.

OP
OP

turbohvn

Turbohvn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Fastback GT PP
I would do it in a minute if the engine was out of the car. It is not a cost issue. I just hate to tear into a brand new engine with less than 100 miles on it. Also, the mechanical timing of the engine (chains etc) looks to be an area that could easily be done just a bit wrong causing major headaches of failure down the road. I thought about paying someone to do the swap for me but cannot find anyone in the area that has done this job.

Sponsored

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
I would do it in a minute if the engine was out of the car. It is not a cost issue. I just hate to tear into a brand new engine with less than 100 miles on it. Also, the mechanical timing of the engine (chains etc) looks to be an area that could easily be done just a bit wrong causing major headaches of failure down the road. I thought about paying someone to do the swap for me but cannot find anyone in the area that has done this job.
Rev Auto in B-more can do it but they're backlogged with Spring work. JPC could also do it, but also usually backlogged this time of year. Rev Auto did mine.

Superman15

Shake n Bake
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP Oxford White
The "search" button is your friend :) Discussed 1,000 times. For daily drivers they are said to not be "needed". Mine is a daily driver, and I wen't ahead and had them installed. There will be a 70/30 split in opinion here.

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
Do the 700+hp RS3's have billet OPG's?

desant89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium Auto
For me not having anyone near me that I trust to install is a factor. Also I have seen better safe than sorry a million times so far, but nobody who actually broke the stock parts yet. Aren't there some heavy track users here that did not upgrade it?

Not saying it is bad to get it, but it is not cheap, and sounds like you need a really good mechanic to install it. Given that there is not a top mechanic within an hour of me, I think I am better of with the stock parts rather than having a standard mechanic open my engine to install this.

If I were near a great mechanic that I trust, I may do it at the time of the S/C installation (probably cheaper at that point) just for peace of mind even though there is no data to warrant the install.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks

Sponsored

desant89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium Auto

zaquhree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 GT
I did it. Everyone will tell you their opinion. Who is responsible for your crate motor if it does fail though?

desant89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium Auto
How much do you think it should cost for parts and installation?

zaquhree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 GT
I paid $575 for my gears and $800 for labor done by Racing Integration in Tampa who I highly recommend
Sponsored