Sponsored

Impression's of modern cruise nights

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
I've been going to cruise nights for the better part of 40 years (minus the past 9 years). The last one I went to was at a local McDonald's in 2009 that drew a huge amount of cars of all types. People walked around these cruise nights looking at all of the cars sharing stories and enjoying the events.

Speed forward to 2018 and the last 4 cruise nights I went to, last one being last night the older cars owners (pre-1980's) didn't even walk by the modern cars, at all. :shrug:

Last night I noticed the younger guys with newer cars did the same thing, they ignored the old cars. :shrug:

I looked at all of them, the nice, the ugly, all of them. Tried to have a conversation with many of them was like asking to join a club or something. I know society as a whole is turning completely selfish but has it gotten this bad??

I talked to one guy who came up to me last night very interested in the 2018 Mustang because of what he has read online. I answered all of his questions happily and enjoyed the conversation. There were a bunch of guys with late 70's Trans Ams there, they didn't speak to anybody, I walked by and said nice TA's, no response, so ooooook moved on to the Mustang crowd that seemed to be more lively and willing to talk.

Walked by the Camaro crowd, had some good chuckles sharing some Ford vs Chevy smack talk so that was cool.

Over-all, the older people (my age 54 or older) people seem like they have sticks up their keesters, this is a shared hobby, it's about cars, not old vs new. Don't get me wrong, snobs have existed since cars were invented and I've always seen them but not at this level.

When I had my 1969 SS 396 Chevelle it was a rolling car show, stop for gas and expect to be there answering questions. Same thing kind of happens with the Mustang but you get different questions, but the Chevelle at cruise nights was always a hit, with the old and new crowd, I wonder how it would fair with todays folk... I'll never know because I can talk to anybody unless they avoid it, plus I no longer have the SS which I miss.

Anyway, after being away from muscle cars for nearly 9 years I have never seen such a difference in how people interact with each other. I found a new cruise night in West Chicago at Augustinos so next Tuesday going there to check out that crowd.

Here is my Chevelle right before I sold it.
32763176_1[1].jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Loki-GT

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Can't delete this one...:frusty:

Cueball

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Optima EX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I haven't been to many cruise nights, but I think your observations apply to society in general these days. It's a shame.

OP
OP
Loki-GT

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't been to many cruise nights, but I think your observations apply to society in general these days. It's a shame.
Exactly, I guess I had my hopes up. Not giving up, I have found cruise nights for every night of the week, I'll find a good one yet.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Loki-GT

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Heavens, man! Why would you ever sell something like that? They would have buried me in it if it were mine.
Trust me, it was one of the hardest decisions to make but the tech bust had just happened and I was unemployed so it was the Chevelle or the house.

Wife chose house, I was ready to move into the car. :thumbsup:

Elgyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost, MT, DIB, Premium, PP
I've notice the same thing but to add to it is the guys are "it's not a v8 so it not a real car" and walk on. Their girlfriends (or girls in general) are "I like the colour and the seats. Can I sit in it?" and then their significant other gets mad....LOL hypergamy is a b!tch

OP
OP
Loki-GT

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've notice the same thing but to add to it is the guys are "it's not a v8 so it not a real car" and walk on. Their girlfriends (or girls in general) are "I like the colour and the seats. Can I sit in it?" and then their significant other gets mad....LOL hypergamy is a b!tch
A 4cyl Mustang that could probably beat many of those guys cars, what can ya do except give their ladies a ride! :D

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
There’s also friction with folks who bring unmodified, modern production cars that are all shined up to judged car shows and walk away mad when they don’t win an award of some kind. To me, if you bring your factory-stock late model car to a judged show, any award you get should go to the manufacturer. Now, that being said, if there is a factory stock class, it’s a different story.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
There’s also friction with folks who bring unmodified, modern production cars that are all shined up to judged car shows and walk away mad when they don’t win an award of some kind. To me, if you bring your factory-stock late model car to a judged show, any award you get should go to the manufacturer. Now, that being said, if there is a factory stock class, it’s a different story.
I have to admit I'm in that category of person that doesn't care to look at a new car at a car show. I won't bring my GT350 into a show, because to me there's really nothing interesting to see. Frankly I typically feel the same way about an older car that is completely stock appearing. I respect the owner's effort to keep the car looking good, but I don't need to ever see another factory stock 60s or 70s car. Especially not an American car that had thousands built. I've seen them often enough in my life.

I guess it comes down to I really am not a car show person. I used to go a lot, but kind of got burned out on it.

Sponsored

EARACHE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT.
when I lived in a large metro area...there were cruise nights 52 weeks a year.
every wednesday....and every friday. no matter what the weather.
In the warmer months, there were shows every saturday & sunday as well. I attended alot of shows and enjoyed being around other car oriented people. the friction back then was mostly import guys talking smack to musclecar guys.

The looks on those import guys faces was almost priceless when I would tell them the horsepower rating on those vehicles were false...because most were japanese and therefore the horses were much smaller.
One little honda owner challenged me & my Torino to a race. And after I thrashed him pretty handily at the dragstrip all I heard was excuses.

Then about 17 years ago I moved to an extreme rural area.....where Pick Up trucks are much more popular......and I rarely attend any car show or cruise. I truly miss the days of attending huge car shows and cruises.

Luckily...I still have my Torino GT.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I've been going to cruise nights for the better part of 40 years (minus the past 9 years). The last one I went to was at a local McDonald's in 2009 that drew a huge amount of cars of all types. People walked around these cruise nights looking at all of the cars sharing stories and enjoying the events.

Speed forward to 2018 and the last 4 cruise nights I went to, last one being last night the older cars owners (pre-1980's) didn't even walk by the modern cars, at all. :shrug:

Last night I noticed the younger guys with newer cars did the same thing, they ignored the old cars. :shrug:
Part of your experience could be the clique thing - when you are the new person and all the regulars don't know you yet.

gbgreen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Manual V6 Mustang Coupe
I don't know... I love 'em all. Old, new, stock, slightly modded, extreme hot-rods, street legal, or track only. Piston, turbine, jet, rocket. Two, three, four, or more wheels. Just about any combination of the above. There's something interesting in all of 'em. I just like some more than others, that's all.:D

Kep4

Jaeger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1
Interesting observation and I've experienced similar lack of interaction at car shows, coffee shops, the grocery store, the shooting range, and speaking to fellow (I thought) hunters.

Very few are social anymore and I don't know why. I'll talk to anybody and keep it friendly/civil, but on many occasions I've also experienced the 'Why are you trying to interact with me?' look. :shrug:

Even back in my street racing days (early 80's) I could converse with Chevy and Dodge guys and usually without too much brand bravado BS, just some friendly ribbing and laughs.

Guess times always change.

Your Chevelle was a sweet ride and I had similar experiences when I owned my '70 Mach 1. Days gone by...

stang-man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GTPP
Nice Chevelle
Sponsored