Sponsored

Here’s why the 2018 Mustang GT costs $50,000 (Doug Demuro review)

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
IMO, there's a lot of performance value to be had here, and you certainly don't have to spend $50K to get it. My 2018 GT PP2 w/ active valve exhaust and Recaro seats cost me $38,750. Yes, it's the 301A w/ cloth interior and shy of some of the upgraded 401A features, but this is a very capable sports coupe with excellent straight-line performance and above average cornering capability. And, I don't need to spend more money on aftermarket wheels or exhaust (which I have done with about every other car or truck I've owned). It's just a fun car to drive right off the showroom floor, and to me is worth every penny I paid for it.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
He's right, IMO. My car, at 38K, has wearing-through leather on the driver seat. And I have the fancy leather package. My 90K Toyota Camry's seats looked BRAND NEW. Literally could not tell the difference between the driver and passenger seat where the butt farts. You're right on the BMW interiors - I find them to be unimpressive and to get the good stuff you have to pay a ridiculous price.
I have driven by 2018 for about 9500 miles so I am nowhere near the 38K miles you have. I guess time will tell how bad things get. This is my first American car and first V8 car so maybe I am under the new car magic and not seeing the ugly of it yet :eyebulge:

My 8 year old Infiniti G37 (91K miles) has leather seats and after cleaning them a couple of weeks ago they look rather new. Those Japs have the quality thing figured out pretty well I say.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Spork3245

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
My 2016 401 Premium GT PP with one of the fancy leather stitching trim packages I paid $34.5K for prior to tax. I don't have Recaro (huge mistake) or the auto cruise control feature set but have everything else. Don't remember my MSRP right now but if I can get the same discount off of a PP2, okay... maybe. But a PP2 is not worth more than $40K to me. PP1 Magnaride with Recaro I'd pay $36-37K tops.

This is a Mustang, folks. Let's be reasonable.
I promise you, it's not a huge mistake. The Recaro seats are stiff as hell and honestly don't hold you in much better than the regular seats, plus you lose the power functions, the memory function, and the heated/cooled function. Unless you only take your Mustang to the track, you really do not want those Recaro seats, IMO as you lose way too much daily functionality.

fordxgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 XLT 5.0L V8
Vehicle Showcase
He has 1.5 million subscriber's, I wonder what his monthly check from youtube is?
These days? Probably $2K...
I doubt it's that low. An automotive youtuber with 700k subscribers showed his Ad Sense (or whatever it is called) and it showed that he was making $32k that month. Doug's would probably be a little less than that since he only posts ~2 videos a week though

Red Turtle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I doubt it's that low. An automotive youtuber with 700k subscribers showed his Ad Sense (or whatever it is called) and it showed that he was making $32k that month. Doug's would probably be a little less than that since he only posts ~2 videos a week though
It is just amazing what advertisers will pay on YT, but in the end it is probably still well less than standard TV advertising knowing that the next generation is watching a lot more on YT than the TV.

Back in the day I worked for a large Ford Dealer that spent almost 100k a month on advertising in print and could not believe it nor how they validated the return on that.

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
I promise you, it's not a huge mistake. The Recaro seats are stiff as hell and honestly don't hold you in much better than the regular seats, plus you lose the power functions, the memory function, and the heated/cooled function. Unless you only take your Mustang to the track, you really do not want those Recaro seats, IMO as you lose way too much daily functionality.
And if you have a fat ass like me, they are a pain to get in and out of. I have to recline all the way back to get out LOL

fkscreennames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Magnetic Metallic
Doug is a good dude and this was a great review. My only issue was the deceiving title he used for this video. “Here is why the new Ford Mustang GT costs over 50k” that’s not true at all, the base and premium are both under 40k, but the one he reviewed is a fully optioned GT.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
He had the car for a week and left the annoying shift tone on? WTF...

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
And if you have a fat ass like me, they are a pain to get in and out of. I have to recline all the way back to get out LOL
I love the Recaros but it's true that if you've got a wide ass and short legs then the spacing between the side bolster and the steering wheel can be pretty tight.

I just love the locked in, one with the car feel of the Recaros. It's true that they should have at least power and heat at this price, but I can't imagine doing without them.

The side bolsters in the base seats aren't too bad but the seat bottom felt like the split bench seat out of my dad's Thunderbird. Even on my test drive I was bracing my knee on the door to stay in place.

OP
OP
Spork3245

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Doug is a good dude and this was a great review. My only issue was the deceiving title he used for this video. “Here is why the new Ford Mustang GT costs over 50k” that’s not true at all, the base and premium are both under 40k, but the one he reviewed is a fully optioned GT.
He does that for all of his reviews; going by the top optioned sticker price. He noted that one can be had for under $40k. Plus, he was saying why it's still worth it to option it out to $50k. :)

brpec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4WD
Had the same thought when it happened in the video. I bet he’d even prefer the regular Premium seats over the Recaro. :p

Doug is probably the best car reviewer on YouTube (sorry Matt! You’re a close second, though :D :p ).

Wrong. :)
Unless you’re taking into account that it’s incredibly easy to get $6-7k off sticker ;) :cheers:

1 - i strong disagree with that. What happens with Doug is that he is entertaining and fun. I love his videos. But not helpful at all if you are actually interested to know more about the car.

Matt is actually the best car reviewer on youtube, by far. He actually study about the car, give the correct specs, talk about everything in a very organized way. And its very helpful for people are are shopping around for a new car.

2- regarding the price. I agree 100% with you. insane to see people paying 30k+ for a base GT. or 40+ for a premium with PP.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
1 - i strong disagree with that. What happens with Doug is that he is entertaining and fun. I love his videos. But not helpful at all if you are actually interested to know more about the car.

Matt is actually the best car reviewer on youtube, by far. He actually study about the car, give the correct specs, talk about everything in a very organized way. And its very helpful for people are are shopping around for a new car.

2- regarding the price. I agree 100% with you. insane to see people paying 30k+ for a base GT. or 40+ for a premium with PP.
Demuro's videos are way too long. He's goes on forever before actually driving the car.

I find Straight Pipes to be the most entertaining and best reviewers.
Sponsored