Sponsored

ANCAP Ratings

RobD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mustang GT
This is not a bash Ford thread......But I was surprised when I stumbled on this info. I don't own a s550 but plan to some day so this info caught my eye. I'm unsure if I totally agree with the crash ratings but none the less they are out there to help or hurt a cars appeal. Seems all to often we see manufacturers cutting costs to our demise...like the Takata airbag thing or GM's key switch. Anyone think this crash rating has delayed the release of the 2018? Over 6k Mustangs sold in Australia so an important market for sure. Seems to me a "what were they thinking" is appropriate.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/517339/...is-weeks-shocking-two-star-crash-test-result/
Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
The European testing occurred quite some time ago, so I don't know what is so surprising about the Australian testing other than them not getting easy access to cars from Ford. It seems like the mustang mostly lost out due to poor child and active safety features.

It had a 72% grade for adult protrection, 64% for pedestrian, 32% for child, and 16% for active safety features.

Here is a list of the Euro Test results, with the Retested Mustang near the top, and the earlier test below. The active safety features bumped the results from two star to three stars.

https://www.euroncap.com/en/ratings-rewards/latest-safety-ratings/#?selectedMake=0&selectedMakeName=Select a make&selectedModel=0&includeFullSafetyPackage=true&includeStandardSafetyPackage=true&selectedModelName=All&selectedProtocols=26061,24370&selectedClasses=1202,1199,1201,1196,1205,1203,1198,1179,1197,1204,1180&allClasses=true&allProtocols=false&allDriverAssistanceTechnologies=false&selectedDriverAssistanceTechnologies=

Really, it seems like the child safety is the largest concern.

Not sure how many structural changes are coming in the 2018, so it is unclear to me how improved the ratings will be. Will be interesting to see how well that version holds up.

-T

Firepath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special yet
They'd sell more here if they sent them instead of everyone waiting 12 months. The rating was low as it can only be as high as the lowest rated section. I believe it was something pretty insignificant like lack of blindspot monitoring or something similar (which will be in the export 2018s anyway).

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
As [MENTION=7132]Trackaholic[/MENTION] pointed out:

"As we reported yesterday, Euro NCAP and ANCAP testing gave the 2017 Mustang 16 per cent for safety assist tech, 32 per cent for child occupant protection, 72 per cent for adult occupant protection and 64 per cent for pedestrian protection."

To me this reads: the car is easy to oversteer (16%) -more fun for me, the back seat is a joke (32%) -which we all knew, the driver is relatively safe (72%) -better than my last car, and finally:

the car is decently good at running over people (64%) -have you seen any mustang memes lately? hahahahahahaha

In all reality I think its just a bash piece for some click bait. If ford can pass the required tests to sell the car, what obligation do they have to supply a car for 3rd party testing? That costs ford money. I dont drive some hermetically sealed bubble I drive a sports car. I was well aware it wouldn't be the safest thing on the road, but I wanted the most fun anyway. Bubble boy never looked like he was having fun in his bubble. :p

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
I grew up driving cars with a crap body that would rot out with rust in a couple of years sitting on a frame made up of a couple of 2 X 3 rails with some lateral joining rails. You hit anything with one of those things and the whole thing folded up like a tin can. Yet fatals were rare in those days, usually involved big things like trains and semis and often too much booze. So I have zero qualms with the ratings on the Mustang. To be honest I have never bothered to look at the crash rating for any car I have ever bought, it is not on my radar at all.

There's no better crash protection than a well educated and trained driver with good spatial awareness and reflexes and a nimble car. Avoidance is the best protection.

Sponsored

4stanger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garry
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang Fastback Race Red
The whole ANCAP & EuroNCAP has been a long running joke to me.
I have seen trolls and jealous people on social media bring this rating up every now & then, trying to get a reaction (and often it does) or justify their own personal reasons why they cannot purchase a Mustang.
ANCAP have never tested a Mustang, They only copied the euro tests. ANCAP is not going to get any more future business due to no more local car manufacturing here in Australia, I suppose this is what they need to do, copy other test results to survive.

EuroNCAP are really big on testing 2 door coupes, just look at their long list of test results over the years and the testing methods for scoring that changes over the years here https://www.euroncap.com/en/ratings...s=true&selectedMake=0&selectedMakeName=Select a make&selectedModel=0&includeFullSafetyPackage=true&includeStandardSafetyPackage=true&selectedModelName=All&selectedProtocols=26061,24370,1472,5910,5931,-1,14999&allClasses=false#&allDriverAssistanceTechnologies=false&selectedDriverAssistanceTechnologies=

The structural integrity of the Mustang is not in question for these tests, its the safety aids that is lacking in the export model, the North American model have a lot of these missing safety aids as options, the export model doesn't.

This safety rating certainly hasn't stopped the public from buying the Mustang in the export markets.

Last edited:

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I couldn't care less what some Euro crash testing agency says about the Mustang.

All the things they say the Mustang scored badly on, are things the Mustang was never meant to excel at.

Safety assist tech? That's just PC/safety Nazi/euro b.s. The car doesn't have (much of) it, and that's fine. People need to learn how to drive, rather than rely on technology to stop them from running over pedestrians because they're not paying attention.

Child occupant protection? That's not what a Mustang is for.

Pedestrian protection? That's a Euro thing, we don't give a shit here, it's not a thing here in the U.S. Get the hell out of the street if you don't want to get hit.

Seriously......this lowest common denominator crap is really pissing me off. We live in am automotive world where all the safety tech is necessary because too many people don't give a shit about paying attention while they're driving. They're more concerned with catching a pokemon than driving .

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seriously......this lowest common denominator crap is really pissing me off. We live in am automotive world where all the safety tech is necessary because too many people don't give a shit about paying attention while they're driving. They're more concerned with catching a pokemon than driving .
Mmmmm damn you must be old pokemon isn't cool anymore. The fad has gone back to texting and driving ;P. Just poking fun.

In reality though I dont think you should be so bothered as much as you appear. I think that people are definitely more distracted than ever for sure (manual transmission has hugely helped to cure me of that problem in all honesty) but its also that there are more cars on the road than ever. "back in the day" if they had cell phones someone going down a back country road texting and driving would have been more likely to swerve off the road and kill themselves where as today with more cars on the road they swerve into the other lane into an oncoming car and do double the damage.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
As @Trackaholic pointed out:

"As we reported yesterday, Euro NCAP and ANCAP testing gave the 2017 Mustang 16 per cent for safety assist tech, 32 per cent for child occupant protection, 72 per cent for adult occupant protection and 64 per cent for pedestrian protection."
In the NCAP reassessment, the 2017 Mustang scored slightly better for pedestrian (78%) and significantly better for safety assist (61%).

Which doesn't matter one iota to me. The safety fanatics and the industry that has grown up around them are never going to stop finding situations that they are convinced need their help in protecting us all from. And they've got the public more or less brainwashed into believing that safety is no longer the responsibility of each individual but something that either needs to be mandated or at least demanded by public opinion.

Keep in mind that 'public opinion' only hears the safety industry side, and remember that even when Takata's approach to airbag inflation was known by other suppliers to be flawed that that knowledge was never made public until after people started becoming shrapnel absorbers.

To me this reads: the car is easy to oversteer (16%)
There's a lot more to safety assists than TC and stability control, both of which the Mustang has had since at least as far back as the middle of the S197 production run. It's other stuff being "MIA" that the 2017 Mustang was originally panned for not having.

Norm

Sponsored

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Those would be options norm . I guess the tests were performed on base models with limited options available to skew the numbers of the performed crash testing .