Sponsored

PP brake pad temp range?

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Anyone know what the optimum and max temp range is for the stock PP pads? Thinking of changing to the Hawk Street Race pads, which have nice specs on paper and are very reasonably priced, but don't want it to be a step backward from the stock pads, which are surprisingly good. Got just a slight hint of fade on my last trip to VIR, so looking for a slight upgrade without going to a dedicated race pad. Thx
Sponsored

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I don't know the temperature range but I do know that I read some pretty terrible reviews on Hawk pads recently when shopping for new ones myself this year. I'd consider something else since Hawk seems to have fallen behind others on the market these days.

I went with Power Stop Trackday pads for a combo of autox/trackday use.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know the temperature range but I do know that I read some pretty terrible reviews on Hawk pads recently when shopping for new ones myself this year. I'd consider something else since Hawk seems to have fallen behind others on the market these days.

I went with Power Stop Trackday pads for a combo of autox/trackday use
How do you like them? Planning on getting a set.

OP
OP

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I don't know the temperature range but I do know that I read some pretty terrible reviews on Hawk pads recently
Thanks for the feedback. I ran Hawk HP+, DTC-30 and DTC-60 over the last few years on my Focus ST with no problems. They each behaved exactly as I expected them to. What are people saying about them? (and which pad on what car for what use, since they make a bunch of different ones.)

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
x2 for Powerstop Track Day pads. Running them on my car that sees both daily street duty and monthly HPDE. The pads have been holding up to track abuse just fine. No loss in stopping power after repeated 20 min sessions. Initial bite is not as strong as the stock pads, but torque is linear throughout pedal travel which makes for predictable braking behavior on track. On the street they will occasionally squeal on slow stops, but not loud enough to be annoying. Completely daily friendly. Cold temp bite is actually not bad either.

The stock pads were decent for an occasional track day, but if you plan on frequent trips... highly recommend the power stops. I ended up melting the stock pads which trashed the rotors.

Sponsored

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
How do you like them? Planning on getting a set.
I don't have a whole lot of seat time with them yet. I was hoping for more bite since i can't seem to train my leg to push hard enough quickly enough to get into abs consistently during autox runs with stock pads. Not sure these have the bite that i am looking for but we'll see.

However, my fiance used the car in an autox related driving school last weekend and loved the brakes during her 85 mph threshold braking blasts. I had my own students in another group but for a while all i heard was her ripping through the gears up and down the track pit lane letting the coyote sing, lol.

Edit: I bought the pads from Rockauto.

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have a whole lot of seat time with them yet. I was hoping for more bite since i can't seem to train my leg to push hard enough quickly enough to get into abs consistently during autox runs with stock pads. Not sure these have the bite that i am looking for but we'll see.

However, my fiance used the car in an autox related driving school last weekend and loved the brakes during her 85 mph threshold braking blasts. I had my own students in another group but for a while all i heard was her ripping through the gears up and down the track pit lane letting the coyote sing, lol.

Edit: I bought the pads from Rockauto.
Thanks. Planning on doing the same as their prices are awesome. Been looking at them for a month or so.

OP
OP

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP

Ryan P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jap Crap
Thanks for the feedback. I ran Hawk HP+, DTC-30 and DTC-60 over the last few years on my Focus ST with no problems. They each behaved exactly as I expected them to. What are people saying about them? (and which pad on what car for what use, since they make a bunch of different ones.)

From what I have read, they have very corrosive dust. The stopping power is not in question. Damaging your wheels and paint, is.

So these powerstop track pads are decent? How do they compare to something like GLOC. What range would they fall into? Sorry for the hijack.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
From what I have read, they have very corrosive dust. The stopping power is not in question. Damaging your wheels and paint, is.

So these powerstop track pads are decent? How do they compare to something like GLOC. What range would they fall into? Sorry for the hijack.
EBC brakes also have extremely corrosive dust.

Sponsored

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
After all the stories I've read about EBC brakes, I wouldn't trust them on a lawnmower.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I've used Powerstop Track Day. Impressive for the price. The dust was corrosive to my wheel finish, though, and would NOT clean off.

I've switched to G-LOC (12 and 10s) and I've also tried Carbotech (10s and 8s).

I know the G-LOC brake dust has done no harm to my wheels, even not cleaning them for a week or two after a track event. So that is what I stick with. I get them from OPMustang.com. Not cheap, but real great pads.

OP
OP

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP

Ryan P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jap Crap
I've used Powerstop Track Day. Impressive for the price. The dust was corrosive to my wheel finish, though, and would NOT clean off.

I know the G-LOC brake dust has done no harm to my wheels, even not cleaning them for a week or two after a track event. So that is what I stick with. I get them from OPMustang.com. Not cheap, but real great pads.
That is very unfortunate to hear regarding the corrosiveness. That is unacceptable. I was about to pull the trigger on the GLOCs, but they are so goddamn expensive, and I hear they have their own set of disadvantages.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

I may sealant/coat my wheels then. Just in case.
Sponsored