Streetable clutch to handle +/- 700whp

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I am just about ready to pull the trigger on a Whipple stage 2 kit. Debating if I should swap out the clutch while I am at it. The car has about 15k on the clock.

I won't be at the track much if at all, and at most I'd be running some drag radials.

My biggest concern is driveability/NVH, really looking for something near stock in the regard.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Personally I'd wait until the stock clutch gives out, but that's just me.

After that, I'd be calling up Exedy or spending the big bucks on a Mantic.

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
I have a stage2 whipple, my stock clutch was slipping in upper rpm at the track, when I pulled it out, it looked fine. Went to the Stage2+ Hybrid Spec clutch, a little heavier than stock pedal (I don't have an assistance spring), driveability is pretty much like stock, and it has held everything I have thrown at it (1.52 60' w/slicks). Used the stock throw out bearing, and stock flywheel I had cut.

OP
OP
SVT-DADDY

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Personally I'd wait until the stock clutch gives out, but that's just me.

After that, I'd be calling up Exedy or spending the big bucks on a Mantic.
I may just do that. I promised my wife I wouldn't ruin this car which means no tow trucks and as few trips to the shop as possible. The trips can be expensive as needed but not long or numerous!

I have a stage2 whipple, my stock clutch was slipping in upper rpm at the track, when I pulled it out, it looked fine. Went to the Stage2+ Hybrid Spec clutch, a little heavier than stock pedal (I don't have an assistance spring), driveability is pretty much like stock, and it has held everything I have thrown at it (1.52 60' w/slicks). Used the stock throw out bearing, and stock flywheel I had cut.
That sounds pretty good I am running the Steeda spring, and I could always throw the stocker back in.

Last edited:

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Streetable clutch to handle +/- 700whp = 6R80:tsk:

Seriously,
There are a few Texans that milk the stock clutch past 10k “mexico” miles at that power level and slightly higher, but everyone pulling that off has 10+ years of modded street experience and no problem swapping at first hint of trouble.
If you dont need to ride it in first for max traction and slow the shifts enough to avoid shaving life on every up shift under power....:thumbsup:

Can you kill it in 3 months at that power horsing around? Sure...:doh:
Go back WOT hair too early on 2-3 shift, and yea youll be right in power band at peak torque asking the clutch to handle 100 hairdryers worth of heat without glazing or degassing and still clamp 500+ ftlbs.:eyebulge:

But since you are sharp enough to ask and know how close youll be: I say go for milking it and if you really care about losing a roll race by a car length to mr big bucks slam shifting or really want to push yourself, then just plan on upgrading when it roasts? :cheers:

Sponsored

OP
OP
SVT-DADDY

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Streetable clutch to handle +/- 700whp = 6R80:tsk:

Seriously,
There are a few Texans that milk the stock clutch past 10k “mexico” miles at that power level and slightly higher, but everyone pulling that off has 10+ years of modded street experience and no problem swapping at first hint of trouble.
If you dont need to ride it in first for max traction and slow the shifts enough to avoid shaving life on every up shift under power....:thumbsup:

Can you kill it in 3 months at that power horsing around? Sure...:doh:
Go back WOT hair too early on 2-3 shift, and yea youll be right in power band at peak torque asking the clutch to handle 100 hairdryers worth of heat without glazing or degassing and still clamp 500+ ftlbs.:eyebulge:

But since you are sharp enough to ask and know how close youll be: I say go for milking it and if you really care about losing a roll race by a car length to mr big bucks slam shifting or really want to push yourself, then just plan on upgrading when it roasts? :cheers:
lol good points!

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
That's a pretty good endorsement! I just looked it up a few vendor sites and the price is right too.

Matt@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lethal Performance
I would go ahead and replace it now. You know you'll eventually need to change it, and if the boss would like less trips to the shop, may as well get it out of the way.

We carry all of the leading Manufactures - McLeod, Exedy, Mantic and Spec. We would give you a few options that would suit you well.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Matt

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
I went ceramic mantic and decided not to wait for the stocker to roast. Honestly, nothing too fancy about the drivability, its noisy under 1500rpms and any sort of load (2nd gear stop sign roll outs for example) and chatters quite a bit if you ride it a little bit. Basically I have found if I let it out enough so that it feels like im engaging the first of the two clutches, anything more and itll chatter.

All of this behavior is to be expected with a ceramic clutch, but not sure I would have spent the $1900 had I known this to be the behavior.

OP
OP
SVT-DADDY

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I went ceramic mantic and decided not to wait for the stocker to roast. Honestly, nothing too fancy about the drivability, its noisy under 1500rpms and any sort of load (2nd gear stop sign roll outs for example) and chatters quite a bit if you ride it a little bit. Basically I have found if I let it out enough so that it feels like im engaging the first of the two clutches, anything more and itll chatter.

All of this behavior is to be expected with a ceramic clutch, but not sure I would have spent the $1900 had I known this to be the behavior.
That's good to know. None of that would make me very happy and I was under the impression that was the clutch for driveabilty.

I wont be pushing mine as hard as you so I'll likely have to take a couple steps down in rating to get the manners I need.

Sponsored

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
I think the reputation the Mantic got for good drivability is mostly around the pedal feel, which I can say is nearly identical to stock. That is impressive to have that much holding power and still feel like stock. But from I can tell, almost all twin discs nowadays have a light, almost stockish feel.

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
I recently purchased the Exedy Mach 600 and am very happy with the clutch feel. It is a bit heavier than stock, but nothing that would be troublesome in stop and go traffic. I also swapped the clutch spring to the Steeda unit at the same time, so the extra pedal pressure can certainly be due to the clutch spring.

The main difference I have noticed is that with the OEM clutch, I would be able to let the clutch out in first gear to get the car moving forward smoothly without even using the gas. With the Exedy, it seems to be that you need to blip the gas ever so slightly when letting the clutch out or else it can start to feel a bit grabby.

I've put just about 300 miles on it so far, the majority being city miles.

Beefcake has it rated at 587 ft-lbs and American muscle has it rated at 753 ft-lbs to the wheels. I believe Exedy has a 20%ish safety margin built into to their clutch kits, which would explain the difference in torque rating amongst the 2 sites.

http://www.teambeefcakeracing.com/exedy-07953fw.html

https://www.americanmuscle.com/exedy-stage2-clutch-2015gt.html

Nonetheless, I highly recommend it for the price.

OP
OP
SVT-DADDY

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Great review thanks.

I recently purchased the Exedy Mach 600 and am very happy with the clutch feel. It is a bit heavier than stock, but nothing that would be troublesome in stop and go traffic. I also swapped the clutch spring to the Steeda unit at the same time, so the extra pedal pressure can certainly be due to the clutch spring.

The main difference I have noticed is that with the OEM clutch, I would be able to let the clutch out in first gear to get the car moving forward smoothly without even using the gas. With the Exedy, it seems to be that you need to blip the gas ever so slightly when letting the clutch out or else it can start to feel a bit grabby.

Beefcake has it rated at 587 ft-lbs and American muscle has it rated at 753 ft-lbs to the wheels. I believe Exedy has a 20%ish safety margin built into to their clutch kits, which would explain the difference in torque rating amongst the 2 sites.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350

I notice AM is "STAGE 4" and beef cake is "STAGE 2" might be the difference

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
I highly recommend the Mantic 9000 Cerametallic. That's what I was using and it performed very well. Pedal feel was definitely better than stock. The only thing different from stock is that it can be a tiny bit tricky to slip it smoothly from a stop.
Sponsored