Sponsored

Brake pad replacement how-to?

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
I swear I saw a how-to on brake pad replacement but a search and Googling doesn't reveal what I'm looking for. Anybody have it bookmarked?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Front, rear, both?

ViolentDreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Silverado - '15 Ecoboost
OP
OP

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
You rock. Thank you!

Sponsored

OP
OP

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Rather than start a new thread, I figure I'll piggyback on this one...

I installed my Caliperfexion studs (awesome) and planned on swapping out my OEM pads for some G-LOC R12s. Despite 2200 miles and 9 hard track sessions, my OEM pads look pretty good:

Agreed? Think they'll survive 5 sessions at COTA next weekend?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I would say yes. They look about 50%. Measure them. IIRC, about 8mm to the wear indicator is new.

shelbyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sandy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350 Track Package White w/blue stripes
Would like to do 2 things...#1 thank you for posting these instructions and #2 is ask you a question about the instructions. When they say remove and DISCARD the existing bolt do they mean throw it away and get a new one? Is the stock length bolt a one time use only bolt?:shrug: They don't seem to address that in the instructions. Thanks much:thumbsup:

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Would like to do 2 things...#1 thank you for posting these instructions and #2 is ask you a question about the instructions. When they say remove and DISCARD the existing bolt do they mean throw it away and get a new one? Is the stock length bolt a one time use only bolt?:shrug: They don't seem to address that in the instructions. Thanks much:thumbsup:
They even show a trashcan so it seems like Ford wants the caliper bolts as a one time use only.

shelbyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sandy
Vehicle(s)
They even show a trashcan so it seems like Ford wants the caliper bolts as a one time use only.
I agree with you....thats how it looks to me as well. Better order a few sets of bolts to have them on hand. I noticed the torque requirement on those bolts is way up there as well at 136lb.ft.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
You can thank warranty/legal/engineering for the one-time use fasteners. Truth is, you can reuse the bolts if you properly reapply a thread locker to the bolts. The bolt itself can go through almost endless torque cycling - as long as it is torqued to specification.

That said, bolts at this location in conjunction with an aluminum knuckle, are not the best choice. There are much better alternatives available.

:)

dwalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 white with blue stripes "H1807"
I agree with you....thats how it looks to me as well. Better order a few sets of bolts to have them on hand. I noticed the torque requirement on those bolts is way up there as well at 136lb.ft.
Don't buy more OEM bolts, do these and you'll never have to worry bout those bolts again. I'll be doing these when its time for new pads as well.

http://caliperfexion.com/

kart125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350/2008 Saab TurboX SC
You can thank warranty/legal/engineering for the one-time use fasteners. Truth is, you can reuse the bolts if you properly reapply a thread locker to the bolts. The bolt itself can go through almost endless torque cycling - as long as it is torqued to specification.

That said, bolts at this location in conjunction with an aluminum knuckle, are not the best choice. There are much better alternatives available.

:)
:) A comment only a few of us can understand... but I think more will understrand soon!! Be prepared to roll'em out!!

To everybody else, click on the link on the post above and be amazed by a great piece of engineering!

shelbyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sandy
Vehicle(s)
Don't buy more OEM bolts, do these and you'll never have to worry bout those bolts again. I'll be doing these when its time for new pads as well.

http://caliperfexion.com/
I totally agree with you on using studs even though I know the bolts would only have to come out very infrequently. My car is only the occasional track car but I just soooo love this method of attachment :thumbsup:

ViolentDreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Silverado - '15 Ecoboost
The bolts are most likely torque-to-yeild, and with a high torque spec, once they stretch they are done (iirc from a materials pov they aren't meant to re-strech). OEMs love TTY bolts because they're cheap, maybe they can be re-used and its just Ford covering their asses, but I would put new ones on every time, or use those sweet studs.
Sponsored