Sponsored

Cylinder Head temp range?

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
I have a 2 week old 2016 GT PP.
My Cylinder head temps run in the range of 203 to 220, sometimes slightly higher.

What is the normal operating range for the coyote and should I be concerned?
Sponsored

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
That is normal. On hotter days it'll be higher. On cooler days it'll be cooler. But those are normal operating temps.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Be concerned at the 235* and up range.

OP
OP
Jdenkevitz

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
What would be the most likely culprit of higher temps (beside high ambient temps and how hard im running the engine). Radiator problem? My understanding is that the PP has a larger radiator, so I was suprised to see the CHT running in mid 220's at one point (in 90 degree outside temperature).

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
CHT does not equal coolant temp. If you're not running over 230 I really wouldn't worry about it. Make sure your coolant level is at the appropriate level in the overflow reservoir while cold. If it is, you're good to go.

Sponsored

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Down here on the Gulf Coast I regularly see temps hitting 220° or slightly more and the engine runs just fine. It's a high-revving V8, expect it to get hot. That said, your engine is really in no danger unless you're regularly entering the 230-240° range. Under that is ok.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
What would be the most likely culprit of higher temps (beside high ambient temps and how hard im running the engine). Radiator problem? My understanding is that the PP has a larger radiator, so I was suprised to see the CHT running in mid 220's at one point (in 90 degree outside temperature).
The radiator is handicapped by the stock thermostat. I installed a Reische 170 degree thermostat (and a tune to make sure the fans turn on earlier) and bam HUGE improvement.

stang77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0
I'm ordering a 160* thermostat from LMS to keep mine in check.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I would use the Reische if I were you. The Evenflo (the one I assume you got) isn't any good and has issues. I think there is another 160 thermostat brand but the Reische is more than good enough and the perfect temperature.

stang77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0
I would use the Reische if I were you. The Evenflo (the one I assume you got) isn't any good and has issues. I think there is another 160 thermostat brand but the Reische is more than good enough and the perfect temperature.

I'll look into that one too.

Sponsored

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LOL, there is nothing to keep in check. If your engine is running hotter than it should be then there is a problem that needs to be addressed. Installing a lower thermostat might bandaid it, but it won't resolve the issue. If you install a lower thermostat, then do it because you particularly want the CHT lower. But stock, there is nothing to be improved or kept in check. The engine was designed to run at the temperatures you are seeing. I drive mine all day in 90+ temps including making several stops while the engine is running for about a minute at a time. My CHTs stay in the 220s. And that is fine. Most of the time I don't even pay attention to it. If something goes wrong, you'll know way before the engine gets damaged. If you don't then the car will let you know. You're fine. I wouldn't worry about it one bit. And if something does go wrong, take it to the dealership and have warranty work done.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I think it's more for performance reasons, not worrying about the engine.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it's more for performance reasons, not worrying about the engine.
Yea if done for performance reasons or to keep the temps done during extended track use then it is fine. But I thought he was saying he wanted to get it because he was worried about the temps or something.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Yea if done for performance reasons or to keep the temps done during extended track use then it is fine. But I thought he was saying he wanted to get it because he was worried about the temps or something.
Oh if that is the case I wouldn't worry then.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Lower thermostat won't help him at all, unnecessary money... At those temps the stock thermostat is already wide open. OP those temps in the head are perfectly normal. When it's midsummer hot and humid stuck in traffic 220° is perfectly normal. As said start to be concerned 230°+.
Sponsored