Sponsored

Level of difficulty?

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I have the GT350 half shaft kit and was wondering if I should do the install myself or not. Dealer is quoting 3 hours labour, so I figure I can get it done in 4-5?

I have a compressor and can get an impact, but how difficult is it to do on the floor using stands and jack vs a lift?
Sponsored

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
I have the GT350 half shaft kit and was wondering if I should do the install myself or not. Dealer is quoting 3 hours labour, so I figure I can get it done in 4-5?

I have a compressor and can get an impact, but how difficult is it to do on the floor using stands and jack vs a lift?
Pretty easy really...some have half shafts pop right out like me, others spend half a day getting them out.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty easy on jack stands...I did my rear end swap (you of course have to pull the half shafts and then install them into the new rear end) on jack stands with no issues.

Two pry bars made quick work of popping my half shafts out of the rear end, but I've read where other people have had issues. In that case, you can get a loaner tool from the local parts store (two tools actually) one you need a slider hammer, then an attachment that goes on the slide hammer than is used on the axle shaft to pop them loose. Had to use that setup on a car before. Took no time to pop them loose with that setup.

Here's a picture of what I'm referring to:

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-7509-Inn...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B000O825QU

Good reference video here:

[ame]

Sponsored

DarkHor$e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
RaceRed '17 PP Base- Sold!!!

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So I have a question. I've never seen where you install a c-clip onto any sort of shaft before the shaft is in it's seated position. How does this work with axle shafts. Does it only interface with something other than metal, something flexible that allows it to slide in and deflect something into place? Or am did I see it wrong in the video?

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
So I have a question. I've never seen where you install a c-clip onto any sort of shaft before the shaft is in it's seated position. How does this work with axle shafts. Does it only interface with something other than metal, something flexible that allows it to slide in and deflect something into place? Or am did I see it wrong in the video?
The clips sit in the grooves on the end of the axle shafts and are 'captured' by a similar inside the axle / housing once you seat them. Just about every CV / half shaft I've dealt with is like that.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The clips sit in the grooves on the end of the axle shafts and are 'captured' by a similar inside the axle / housing once you seat them. Just about every CV / half shaft I've dealt with is like that.
Thanks. When I mentioned shafts I should have said every type of shaft than a half shaft, lol. Actually never worked on one. I remember a Dana35 solid Jeep axle where you slide the shaft in, then install the c-clip once the groove in the shaft is past the flange in the housing. Also was thinking similarity of u-joint caps where you push them on then install the clips. Was just curious how the clips hold the shafts in if you can pre-install them. I suppose since they can be pulled out with a slide hammer and it sounds like sometimes the clip remains installed, the interface must not be as tight as the Dana 35 I worked on. I guess it will make perfect sense after a person has installed them, which I obviously have not. Anyway thanks for the reply and letting me know it’s the way they all are.

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Did you install them yourself or have someone do it?

Sponsored
OP
OP
poncho@home

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Still sitting in a corner of my garage.

hoping to get then done sometime this summer/fall

OP
OP
poncho@home

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Haha! Yeah, I got a few other things to install as well. But even worse than that, I have a complete suspension for my other car just sitting in the same garage for about 4 years now!

I think my delusion that I’ll find the time and desire to install everything myself is really standing in the way of getting all this done by professionals.

but yesterday I got a quote on everything, so I am getting closer....
Sponsored