2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, GT350, GT500, Mach 1, Ecoboost) - Mustang6G.com 9 - JLT Performance
2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, GT350, GT500, Mach 1, Ecoboost) - Mustang6G.com
Homepage Wiki MOTM Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Ford Bronco Forum Calendar Garage

Go Back   2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, GT350, GT500, Mach 1, Ecoboost) - Mustang6G.com > Technical Subforums > Transmission & Drivetrain

Transmission & Drivetrain Everything related to transmission, drivetrain, gears, etc.

User Tag List

Old 03-17-2017, 12:24 AM   #1201
16s550

Drives: 2016 mustang gt performance pack
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIGZGT View Post
I switched to the BG fluid as well. It may be slightly better than before, but it isn't what I had hoped for. That being said, I will stick with the BG instead of the stock fluid for future changes as well.
Are you still using the stock shifter? I suggest swapping that the clutch line and maybe the white line or Steeda insert bushing for transmission mount. I also put BMR motor mounts not sure if that helps but I did notice easier shifting after not sure if it was coincidence
Old 03-17-2017, 12:24 AM   #1202
16s550

And now that I remember also the differential bushing inserts
Old 03-17-2017, 12:27 AM   #1203
wildcatgoal
@sirboom_photography

Drives: '16 GT PP DIB
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Ford apparently improved the syncros in S550 MT82. Didn't last for Steeda's race car, haha.
Brakes: GLOC, Ravenol, JLT | Fluids: Liqui Moly, BG, Pennzoil | Affiliation: JZilla Track Days
wildcatgoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:29 AM   #1204
16s550

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatgoal View Post
Ford apparently improved the syncros in S550 MT82. Didn't last for Steeda's race car, haha.
Yeah I think it could be hit-or-miss on the durability depending what fluid you use in the car and the skill level of the driver. I'm taking the car to the track and beat on it a lot so far holding up great knock on wood. If it ever goes south in the future I just going to have to go with the Tremec.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:42 AM   #1205
ZIGZGT

Drives: 2016 Race Red GT Premium PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16s550 View Post
Are you still using the stock shifter? I suggest swapping that the clutch line and maybe the white line or Steeda insert bushing for transmission mount. I also put BMR motor mounts not sure if that helps but I did notice easier shifting after not sure if it was coincidence
I still have the stock shifter. I will probably switch and try that clutch line, but I'm not interested in the inserts. Most reviews say it increases the NVH and this is my daily driver so I don't think I'd like that very much.
-401A
-Premier trim
ZIGZGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:28 PM   #1206
hatched91

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT
I have a brand new trans/clutch in my car, and I still have this problem. I purchased the BG fluid and a steeda short shift. I haven't installed them yet.

ZIGZGT- I'm out of STL. Nice to see other locals on here!
hatched91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:12 PM   #1207
16s550

Unless you have stock exhaust you can barely even hear the NVH from the inserts and i have the black ones in.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:29 PM   #1208
888mustang

Name: Bill
Drives: 2015 Mustang V-6 051A 6spd,95 Mustang GT Vert
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My thud is gone!!!

15 Mustang V-6 9,000 miles has always had the thud until I started driving this spring after sitting all winter. I did switch to BG syncro shift at 8,000 miles and it made the shifting smoother but it still had the thud until this spring. Maybe sitting over the winter worked the fluid in? Or just putting miles on it helped? Anyway the thud is gone!!!
888mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 11:55 AM   #1209
GeeTeeFun

Drives: 2017 GT Manual - Stock, 3.55, 34 psi x 4, Magnetic
Gear Shifting Thud and Other Annoyances

Hello Everyone. I'm happy to be a new member of this great site. I see this is a fairly old thread but I wanted to add my experiences related to this topic since I found your posts to be so helpful. I have a 2017 GT 6 speed with about 1,000 miles and I love it. the only quirk about this car is the gear box and its shifting mannerisms. It is definitely a quirky shifting experience that I am slowly but surely getting used to. I was recently experiencing the "thud" when shifting into 3rd gear, which bothered me quite a bit since it is brand new. What I found is that as long as I shift into the first three gears between 2500 and 3000 RPMs, all is fairly smooth and the thud is barely noticeable. My impression so far is that this particular trans and engine combo prefers to be shifted at that certain RPM range during normal driving. I now have gotten used to just listening for the engine sound (what a beautiful sound) at that particular range. I also noticed that this trans takes a little more concentration and finesse to master If you insist on shifting at lower RPMs (I have to think about it). But, If I just go on sound and instinct, all is fine. Granted, the shifter is still notchy by nature. I'm not even sure anyone will see or read this reply but I just wanted to add my experience in case it can help anyone. Thanks!
GeeTeeFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:18 PM   #1210
georgiarocker

Drives: 2016 Roush Warrior S/C
I've had two extremely annoying driveline issues... the "thud" when up-shifting 1 through 4; and the sloppy-bouncy-feeling-gear-lash feel and sound that started around 1000 miles and was only noticeable (at first) when in a drive-thru queue line every time I depressed the clutch under slight load I would hear a slight "click-click-click". Well, as you can see by my signature I've spent quite a lot of time and money upgrading things in hopes to correct these issues and I'm happy to say that the "thud" is gone but the gear lash is louder and more annoying than EVER !!!!!! The only thing I've noticed recently that I've not addressed (yet) is that the ford-racing half shaft on the drivers side has been leaking fluid from the outside ring and probably has been (slowly) for a very long time.

I lurked around this thread about 18 months ago but haven't been back till now. And I'm ready to hang out and contribute to the discussion now. I have a lot of pages to catch up on first but I'll be back soon.
Lund Tune -nGauge PMAS CAI JLT catch-can Kooks LT headers (off-road) Magnaflow cat-back, x-pipe, quad-tips Whiteline trans mount insert DSS 4" aluminum driveshaft McLeod RXT clutch, aluminum flywheel and throwout/slave assy. Barton Hybrid-3 trans-mounted shifter Raceng Slammer 575 gram knob Steeda clutch spring assist, perch and braided line Reische 170-deg thermostat Steeda engine mounts 1/2" drop, differential, sub-frame alignment and support bushings BMR SP086 lowering springs (drag version) CJPP 25mm wheel spacers Steeda jacking rails Ford Racing hood struts
georgiarocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:24 PM   #1211
16s550

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiarocker View Post
I've had two extremely annoying driveline issues... the "thud" when up-shifting 1 through 4; and the sloppy-bouncy-feeling-gear-lash feel and sound that started around 1000 miles and was only noticeable (at first) when in a drive-thru queue line every time I depressed the clutch under slight load I would hear a slight "click-click-click". Well, as you can see by my signature I've spent quite a lot of time and money upgrading things in hopes to correct these issues and I'm happy to say that the "thud" is gone but the gear lash is louder and more annoying than EVER !!!!!! The only thing I've noticed recently that I've not addressed (yet) is that the ford-racing half shaft on the drivers side has been leaking fluid from the outside ring and probably has been (slowly) for a very long time.

I lurked around this thread about 18 months ago but haven't been back till now. And I'm ready to hang out and contribute to the discussion now. I have a lot of pages to catch up on first but I'll be back soon.
get some bg oil in the trans mission.. swap your clutch line, and get a short shifter for starters.. I have steeds but I wish I went mgw. I just recently went to a twin disc clutch and new slave.. much better.. its basically boils down to upgrading cheap parts and fluids.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:33 PM   #1212
georgiarocker

Drives: 2016 Roush Warrior S/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16s550 View Post
get some bg oil in the trans mission.. swap your clutch line, and get a short shifter for starters.. I have steeds but I wish I went mgw. I just recently went to a twin disc clutch and new slave.. much better.. its basically boils down to upgrading cheap parts and fluids.
already done everything you mentioned. i've even replaced the transmission once already. the only part of the driveline I haven't touched is the differential and the ford racing half shafts that were already preinstalled.
Lund Tune -nGauge PMAS CAI JLT catch-can Kooks LT headers (off-road) Magnaflow cat-back, x-pipe, quad-tips Whiteline trans mount insert DSS 4" aluminum driveshaft McLeod RXT clutch, aluminum flywheel and throwout/slave assy. Barton Hybrid-3 trans-mounted shifter Raceng Slammer 575 gram knob Steeda clutch spring assist, perch and braided line Reische 170-deg thermostat Steeda engine mounts 1/2" drop, differential, sub-frame alignment and support bushings BMR SP086 lowering springs (drag version) CJPP 25mm wheel spacers Steeda jacking rails Ford Racing hood struts
georgiarocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:48 PM   #1213
slink

Drives: 2018 GT Premium,6 Speed, 401A Pkg, Kona Blue
I had a 2016 GT that had the "thud". I installed MGW and replaced the fluid with BG Synchromesh. Still had the thud but not as noticeable.

I have just purchased a 2018 GT 6 speed. It has NO thud !! None ! Ford has somehow cured this problem.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:35 AM   #1214
aleccolin

Name: Colin
Drives: 2016 GT PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The "thud" that most people experience is a Getrag thing, even some FWD and AWD Getrag transmissions do it. Do a search for Getrag thud and you'll get hits for Focus, Supra, Evo, BMW, Challenger, Mustang of course, and more.

With the latest 2018+ iteration of the MT82 it's possible that in making the other changes to the gearset they have reduced the lash in the transmission responsible for the "thud", which is great, but does nothing for the rest of us.

BG syncroshift II in the trans made the biggest difference for me. Sort of cushions the shock a little bit, thuds less overall and when it does not as noticeable.
aleccolin is offline   Reply With Quote