2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, GT350, GT500, Mach 1, Ecoboost) - Mustang6G.com 101 - Anderson Composites - 1
2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, GT350, GT500, Mach 1, Ecoboost) - Mustang6G.com
Homepage Wiki MOTM Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Ford Bronco Forum Calendar Garage

Go Back   2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, GT350, GT500, Mach 1, Ecoboost) - Mustang6G.com > Technical Subforums > Transmission & Drivetrain

Transmission & Drivetrain Everything related to transmission, drivetrain, gears, etc.

User Tag List

Old 05-15-2018, 06:35 PM   #1
Malcornelius

Drives: 2016 Ingot Silver Mustang GT Premium PP Paxton
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Exedy ET04XD vs McLeod RST

Im in the market for a new clutch as im about to go E85. Just wanting some feedback from any members. I read a lot about McLeod on here but not so much on Exedy.

Thanks!

Last edited by Malcornelius; 05-15-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Malcornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:53 PM   #2
V8EATR

Drives: 2015 GT PP
I can comment on the RST and its fantastic. Light pedal feel, great holding power, taken a lot of abuse. I also have to give major props to McLeod as a business. I actually had the ring gear come off the flywheel (lightened steel from McLeod) and wrecked my starter. They sent me a new flywheel with a welded ring gear and reimbursed me for the starter, stand up bunch of guys.
V8EATR is online now   Reply With Quote
Users thanking this:
Old 05-15-2018, 11:11 PM   #3
asylum938

Drives: 16 mustang gt
I have the et04xd.

Clutch is very nice but it's a pucked ceramic. It is a sprung hub so it will lessen the drivetrain shock. It has some grabby chatter tendencies when taking off in 1st but is very smooth other than from a stop.

It does not drive like stock and has a short engagement point at the top of the pedal but the sucker holds the power with no issues.

There went many reviews when I bought this clutch and I went for it on Terry from TBR's recommendation.

My co worker just bought a mantic for his whipple gt so I'll update with a review of that vs the et04xd as well.
16 comp orange GT, Paxton w/3.6 pulley, jlt intake, d1000 injectors, vortech boost a pump, tss opg & crank gear,roush boost gauge, BMR CB005, SP080, lund tuned, stainless power o/r headers, mbrb 3"catback, mgw shifter, cervinis 4" cowl hood, 17x10 weld rts, Exedy ET04XD, DSS 1400 Half shafts.
asylum938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Users thanking this:
Old 05-16-2018, 10:45 AM   #4
KYLExKILLJOY

Drives: 2015 GT 50 years, 2003 Mach 1 D1sc, 2002 4.2L
Quote:
Originally Posted by asylum938 View Post
I have the et04xd.

Clutch is very nice but it's a pucked ceramic. It is a sprung hub so it will lessen the drivetrain shock. It has some grabby chatter tendencies when taking off in 1st but is very smooth other than from a stop.

It does not drive like stock and has a short engagement point at the top of the pedal but the sucker holds the power with no issues.

There went many reviews when I bought this clutch and I went for it on Terry from TBR's recommendation.

My co worker just bought a mantic for his whipple gt so I'll update with a review of that vs the et04xd as well.
I've been looking at this clutch: How bad is it taking off from a stop/in traffic?

Also are you still using the helper spring?
KYLExKILLJOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:11 AM   #5
wildcatgoal
@sirboom_photography

Drives: '16 GT PP DIB
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
I'd get a Exedy over a McLeod all day. You are just going E85 NA? You don't need a super special high torque clutch. Something in the range of a Spec 2+ is fine, even that's too much.
Brakes: GLOC, Ravenol, JLT | Fluids: Liqui Moly, BG, Pennzoil | Affiliation: JZilla Track Days
wildcatgoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:11 PM   #6
asylum938

Drives: 16 mustang gt
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLExKILLJOY View Post
I've been looking at this clutch: How bad is it taking off from a stop/in traffic?

Im using the Steeda clutch spring.

you will definitely have to relearn the car from a stop.

this clutch likes a decent ammt of revs and a quick engagement if you want to be smooth.

and it can be smooth but get it wrong and it will punish you with chatter/stalling.

honestly the more I drive the car the smoother it gets I would say its 50% me learning where the clutch grabs and 50% break-in.
16 comp orange GT, Paxton w/3.6 pulley, jlt intake, d1000 injectors, vortech boost a pump, tss opg & crank gear,roush boost gauge, BMR CB005, SP080, lund tuned, stainless power o/r headers, mbrb 3"catback, mgw shifter, cervinis 4" cowl hood, 17x10 weld rts, Exedy ET04XD, DSS 1400 Half shafts.
asylum938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:20 PM   #7
Malcornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatgoal View Post
I'd get a Exedy over a McLeod all day. You are just going E85 NA? You don't need a super special high torque clutch. Something in the range of a Spec 2+ is fine, even that's too much.
On a Paxton wastegated at 12psi.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:06 PM   #8
Anthony 05 GT

Drives: 2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Every McLeod clutch package I've ever installed performed great.
2015 Premium, Lethal Resonator Delete H-Pipe, GT500 Mufflers, Steeda Progressive springs...2005 Mustang GT, JDM 302 Stroker, Whipple 10 rib 12 psi, L&M, JBA, J&M, LFP, Corsa, Stage II cams, Manley, MGW, McLeod RST, Eaton Posi, 3.73's, Metco, Steeda, Autometer, CDC, Street Scene, SOS, Tuned at JPC Racing by Kevin MacDonald
Anthony 05 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:48 AM   #9
pwny

Drives: 2016 GT PP
I can't speak for the Exedy but I'm throwing my vote in for the RST based on personal experience. I daily the car and I've driven cars with heavy clutches as well for comparison. It has a learning curve because of how it grabs a little higher and the pedal is light but it's not non-existent. It's absolutely wonderful if you get stuck in any traffic as well.
pwny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:08 AM   #10
Evil 5.0

Drives: 2016 Competition Orange PP
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
I ran the Exedy NA and when I switched to the tremec, they took care of me!! I love this clutch and has held my power at the track with NO issues.
Whipple Gen 3,10-Rib ATI 20% w 3.75 Upper,Fore Stage 4 Fuel System, 1300 ID Inj, Lund/F.L.P. Tuned-NGauge, Full ARH Exhaust, MMR OPG w Billet Crank Gears, Comp Cams Stage 3, Tremec Magnum XL, 4.10 R&P, Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter, 1400 Axles, Steeda Stop Wheelhop Kit, BMR Camber Links,Zietronix ZT-2 , Boost, Fuel Pressure

930RwHp 690RwTq 17lbs of Boost 10.3 @145 at4100lbs

NA 525rwhp 400rwtq 11.30@122.22 at 3980lbs
Evil 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 03:25 PM   #11
Malcornelius

Just an fyi...I ended up going with the McLeod RST. In the end it came down to my mechanic/tuners recommendition also heavily factored in. Either way I dont think I could go wrong. Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:18 AM   #12
Pongo23

Name: Nevin
Drives: 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLExKILLJOY View Post

I got the exedy Et04xd with the stock clutch assist spring removed. Was definitely stiffer pedal when I picked it up but used to it now. I've put about 450 miles on it; still in the break in period. There was a learning curve but the clutch is super smooth. I have been extra cautious so at the engagement point, I can feel the grabbing because I'm probably not giving it enough gas but so far I love it; I've had 0 chatter. I also installed a mgw shifter when the clutch kit was being done. will tell you that the RST is a softer pedal feel and McLeod is definitely more popular in the forums but I've had an exedy in this mustang and a supra I had in the past; they make excellent clutches. I know someone with the roush supercharger with an rst and the car makes a little less power than mine and the guy is smelling clutch on hard launches and highway pulls.
Power: Procharger Stage 2, Roush 1 3/4" Longtubes, Gibson Catback, DW 1000cc injectors, JMS boost a pump, Boundary Oil pump gears and crank gears. | Suspension: Bilstein B16 PSS10, BMR Cradle Bushing Kit Level 2, IRS Subframe Alignment Bushing Kit, BMR Aluminum Vertical Links, BMR Lower Control Arm Bearings, BMR Rear Upper Control Arm Camber Links, Steeda S550 Mustang Adjustable Differential Bushing Insert System | Driveline: G Force Aluminum 1 piece Driveshaft, Watson Racing Driveshaft Loop, MGW Race Spec Shifter, Exedy Et04xd, Ford Performance Half Shafts | Wheels/Tires: P51 101rf, MPSS
Pongo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:22 AM   #13
Pongo23

Name: Nevin
Drives: 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by asylum938 View Post
I have the et04xd.

I'd be interested to hear this comparison; I too was in between mantic but eventually went with the exedy et04xd and love it so far.
Power: Procharger Stage 2, Roush 1 3/4" Longtubes, Gibson Catback, DW 1000cc injectors, JMS boost a pump, Boundary Oil pump gears and crank gears. | Suspension: Bilstein B16 PSS10, BMR Cradle Bushing Kit Level 2, IRS Subframe Alignment Bushing Kit, BMR Aluminum Vertical Links, BMR Lower Control Arm Bearings, BMR Rear Upper Control Arm Camber Links, Steeda S550 Mustang Adjustable Differential Bushing Insert System | Driveline: G Force Aluminum 1 piece Driveshaft, Watson Racing Driveshaft Loop, MGW Race Spec Shifter, Exedy Et04xd, Ford Performance Half Shafts | Wheels/Tires: P51 101rf, MPSS
Pongo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:15 AM   #14
jlstro3

Name: Josh
Drives: 2016 Mustang GT
I have the Exedy. Unfortunately I had a little oops moment and smoked 3rd gear. Sucks too because I really enjoy how the clutch drives, it's buttery smooth and a real joy to drive around with. I'm swapping to an auto now though so I wont always have the little feeling in the back of my head that I'm going to grenade my mt82 lol.
jlstro3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Users thanking this:
Old 06-06-2018, 12:47 PM   #15
higdominator

Drives: 2016 GT PPP
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
IMO the Exedy is on a whole other level than the RST. Hell, they aren't even on the same planet.

Exedy: billet pressure plate, end user replaceable components, sprung hub ceramic, SFI certified. #racecar stuff you can live with on the street

RST: a strong replacement clutch that drives almost like OEM.

Exedy is very big in the racing side. I'll run nothing but them as they are very responsive to your needs and very thorough with their information.

For a NA car a hyper single can't be beat, and the ET04XD is the bees knees on a boosted car, if you can handle driving the chatter or squeal prone ceramic friction material. I only care what it does once the hammer is down and the power is pouring in and the Exedy flat out holds.
Users thanking this: