Tony Alonso's 2015 GT Magnetic Fastback Journal

navair133

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang Eco/PP; 2003 Porsche Boxster
Great stuff Tony. Have you had any issues with the brakes squeaking? I have and it sounds a lot like metal on metal. My Mustang is back at the dealer a second time for the problem. They changed all the pads last week but the squeaking returned shortly after. Maybe the rotors?

Got the Ford Racing axle back tour muffler system put on and boy does it make a world of difference in the eco-boost. Now when it starts is sounds like a Mustang. People are complimenting the sound-no way you would think it is a four-banger. I am disappointed Ford did not do a better job with the exhaust system. I had to shell out $800 to make it acceptable.

The car is more fun to drive too with the Ford Racing exhaust system-you can hear and feel the power more.

Safe journeys.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tony Alonso

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
These latest pictures have done it for me, I am definitely Magnetic/Foundry when I order my Convertible, these have such a classic look to them. Modernized version of the Bullitt wheels, similar to the style on my '06. Gorgeous, great choice and thanks for the detailed writeup!
Every time I see these when I look, I get a little tickle in the tummy :) I also view them as a modernized version of the Bullitt wheels, which suits the modern lines of this new car. The grey color on the spokes complements the grey of the body. I think you will like them in person.

Since my drive is mostly highway to work (between 60 and 70MPH) I am hoping to see mid-20's during that type of driving, but when I get caught in traffic it will tank the mileage :(
I think when you push the go pedal, it tanks it more rapidly, of course :)

OP
OP
Tony Alonso

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great stuff Tony. Have you had any issues with the brakes squeaking? I have and it sounds a lot like metal on metal. My Mustang is back at the dealer a second time for the problem. They changed all the pads last week but the squeaking returned shortly after. Maybe the rotors?
No squeaking on mine currently. I believe the PP pads are more aggressive than the standard ones, so perhaps that is a factor for you. I hope the dealership can address your concern.

Got the Ford Racing axle back tour muffler system put on and boy does it make a world of difference in the eco-boost. Now when it starts is sounds like a Mustang. People are complimenting the sound-no way you would think it is a four-banger. I am disappointed Ford did not do a better job with the exhaust system. I had to shell out $800 to make it acceptable.

The car is more fun to drive too with the Ford Racing exhaust system-you can hear and feel the power more.

Safe journeys.
Enjoy your new exhaust! Best of luck on the new car.

phil1336

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid & S550 Convertible
I was questioned in another "thread" about the OEM 18`` Tires which were supposed to be the Goodyear F1 A/S High Performance Tires. I stated that I saw not one but two recently dropped off 2015 Mustang Coupes, with both 18`` and 19`` Wheels and Tires and the both had the inferior Pirelli Tires just like the previous generation Mustangs. It appears that Pirelli must have underbid Goodyear to get the contract to supply 18``, 19`` and 20`` Tires. Guess only the Base V6 and the Base EB Coupe with Sparkle Alloy 17`` Wheels will get the Hankook Tires. Too bad cause the Goodyear Tires ride a lot smoother with less road noise then the Pirelli`s. Nice looking Wheels and your Vehicle looks so much better (minus) the Blade Spoiler too. The interior Color selection was the right one as well.

OP
OP
Tony Alonso

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was questioned in another "thread" about the OEM 18`` Tires which were supposed to be the Goodyear A1 A/S High Performance Tires. I stated that I saw not one but two recently dropped off 2015 Mustang Coupes, with both 18`` and 19`` Wheels and Tires and the both had the inferior Pirelli Tires just like the previous generation Mustangs. It appears that Pirelli must have underbid Goodyear to get the contract to supply 18``, 19`` and 20`` Tires. Guess only the Base V6 and the Base EB Coupe with Sparkle Alloy 17`` Wheels will get the Hankook Tires. Too bad cause the Goodyear Tires ride a lot smoother with less road noise then the Pirelli`s. Nice looking Wheels and your Vehicle looks so much better (minus) the Blade Spoiler too. The interior Color selection was the right one as well.
Hello! I've actually had a positive experience with the Pirelli tires on my '07 GT, '10 GT, and now this car. I don't sense road noise, but part of that could be my limited hearing :) In terms of ride quality, I also have had positive experiences as well.

I am a fan of Goodyear tires because of brand nationality, and I've had some really good performers over the years on other cars (GS-D3s in particular were awesome grip on wet roads). I might look at Goodyear's offerings when its time for replacements, as tire technology advances, of course.

I definitely love the wheels and the spoilerless look on the GT. The stock spoilers were designed with the lines in mind, but the shape of the leading of the trunk is just there, waiting to be viewed and washed without obstruction! Interstingly enough, the GT350 has a small blade spoiler, similar to what's on the V6 and EB coupes. It likely is because of the aerodynamic effect over the tail. It will be interesting to hear what the engineers say about it when folks say "why'd ya put a spoiler on this car??"

Last edited:

Sponsored

phil1336

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid & S550 Convertible
Tony; I ordered a 2015 Mustang Base V6 Convertible with the Spare Tire and upgraded optional 051A Package that contains the Blade Spoiler. I order it with Spoiler Delete Option 13D. I`d pay (extra) to delete it if I had to! The trunk deck lines are too sleek and clean to have a painted metal hockey stick handle attached.

OP
OP
Tony Alonso

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tony; I ordered a 2015 Mustang Base V6 Convertible with the Spare Tire and upgraded optional 051A Package that contains the Blade Spoiler. I order it with Spoiler Delete Option 13D. I`d pay (extra) to delete it if I had to! The trunk deck lines are too sleek and clean to have a painted metal hockey stick handle attached.
I look forward to seeing it! I think you will enjoy the car a lot. I really was impressed with the V6 interior, and the spoiler delete will be icing on your cake. I've been watching your process to get it, so I wish you the best!

navair133

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the response Tony. Spoke to service manager and in fact they only changed right front pads-miscommunication. :tsk:

Now they are changing right rear pads. And yes I was told that the PP brakes are more aggressive-fine, just stop with the loud squeaks already!

Safe journeys.

OP
OP
Tony Alonso

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the response Tony. Spoke to service manager and in fact they only changed right front pads-miscommunication. :tsk:

Now they are changing right rear pads. And yes I was told that the PP brakes are more aggressive-fine, just stop with the loud squeaks already!

Safe journeys.
Let me know how it goes. Hopefully all will be to your satisfaction shortly.

OP
OP
Tony Alonso

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WET/SNOW DRIVING MODE REVIEW

I am fortunate that I have a job where I can work from home, but today, I did get to check out snow driving. Earlier in the day, we had about 4 inches of snow, much of which was cleared by the mid-afternoon time (brine treatment and sun drying of the pavement. Roads were only slightly damp and easily passable.

I took the car this evening for an evening meeting, only to come outside and see about 1/2" of fresh snow on the dry surface. I have driven on the all-season Pirelli Zero Nero tires for 8 years now (my '07 GT and my '10 GT both had them). They gripped as past experience. However, I wanted to see the difference with wet/snow on and off.

When I left, I flipped to that mode from normal and could feel the power reduce even as I pressed down on the throttle. Driving along, I pushed the accelerating even more, invoking the traction control, but what was amazing was that the car continued to accelerate in a straight line. This is different than my 2010 with stability control, which definitely would intervene but with some oversteer.

I parked again for another stop, and then tried this again. The same result - I could mash the pedal down, continue straight, and feel the traction control manage accordingly without the typical huge outlay of torque if left in one of the other modes.

A few qualifications - 1) this was flat and straight roads, with little incline, 2) the surface was probably pretty clean and not as ice-laden because of the earlier melt, and 3) I still was careful with braking and throttle inputs.

I felt a measure of confidence that is more than my previous winter driving experiences with my S197 Mustangs. I think the tire package in light snow conditions, with this driving mode, is a solid capability. I'll be trying it again when we have deeper snows.

Last edited:

Sponsored

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
I am fortunate that I have a job where I can work from home, but today, I did get to check out snow driving. Earlier in the day, we had about 4 inches of snow, much of which was cleared by the mid-afternoon time (brine treatment and sub drying of the pavement. Roads were only slightly damp and easily passable.

I took the car this evening for an evening meeting, only to come outside and see about 1/2" of fresh snow on the dry surface. I have driven on the all-season Pirelli Zero Nero tires for 8 years now (my '07 GT and my '10 GT both had them). They gripped as past experience. However, I wanted to see the difference with wet/snow on and off.

When I left, I flipped to that mode from normal and could feel the power reduce even as I pressed down on the throttle. Driving along, I pushed the accelerating even more, invoking the traction control, but what was amazing was that the car continued to accelerate in a straight line. This is different than my 2010 with stability control, which definitely would intervene but with some oversteer.

I parked again for another stop, and then tried this again. The same result - I could mas the pedal down, continue straight, and feel the traction control manage accordingly without the typical huge outlay of torque if left in one of the other modes.

A few qualifications - 1) this was flat and straight roads, with little incline, 2) the surface was probably pretty clean and not as ice-laden because of the earlier melt, and 3) I still was careful with braking and throttle inputs.

I felt a measure of confidence that is more than my previous winter driving experiences with my S197 Mustangs. I think the tire package in light snow conditions, with this driving mode, is a solid capability. I'll be trying it again when we have deeper snows.
This is really great to hear, this will be my DD and while we have a 4x4 SUV I will still be driving it in all weather.

rmg471

Threads
Reaction score
I can echo Tony's comments. I live in the southern half of Indiana, and we received about a half inch of accumulation over the Sunday night -> Monday morning time frame. I drove into work, which is mostly "main" roads (read: flat) and used "snow mode" and did not slip the tires once. I didn't try, of course, but I had plenty of traction and no issues.

By the way, I'm new around these parts. My 2015 GT is my first "real" Mustang. I had a 2012 V6 convertible, but not long after getting it realized I wanted a V8. Long story short, here I am. I registered just to comment on this post; snow driving is going to be possible. I've had sports cars in the past that were smaller and lighter and they would not MOVE on snow, let alone drive to work. Just sending some positive comments for snow mode!

Thanks, guys and gals!

OP
OP
Tony Alonso

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
By the way, I'm new around these parts. My 2015 GT is my first "real" Mustang. I had a 2012 V6 convertible, but not long after getting it realized I wanted a V8. Long story short, here I am. I registered just to comment on this post; snow driving is going to be possible. I've had sports cars in the past that were smaller and lighter and they would not MOVE on snow, let alone drive to work. Just sending some positive comments for snow mode!
Thanks for posting! Where in Indiana are you located? Welcome to the forums.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
I am fortunate that I have a job where I can work from home, but today, I did get to check out snow driving. Earlier in the day, we had about 4 inches of snow, much of which was cleared by the mid-afternoon time (brine treatment and sub drying of the pavement. Roads were only slightly damp and easily passable.

I parked again for another stop, and then tried this again. The same result - I could mash the pedal down, continue straight, and feel the traction control manage accordingly without the typical huge outlay of torque if left in one of the other modes.

Great to hear this! Nice to see Ford did their homework on this.
I can echo Tony's comments. I live in the southern half of Indiana, and we received about a half inch of accumulation over the Sunday night -> Monday morning time frame. I drove into work, which is mostly "main" roads (read: flat) and used "snow mode" and did not slip the tires once. I didn't try, of course, but I had plenty of traction and no issues.

Thanks, guys and gals!
Awesome!

navair133

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
Okay, this is getting crazy. Had to have rear right side brake pads changed due to loud squeaking. Had front pads replaced last week for same louder problem. Now service manage calls and tells me that rears are good but now the fronts are squeaking again. Calls have been made to Ford engineering in Flat Rock and waiting further instructions.

Has no one else had this problem? Or am I just lucky?
Sponsored