Sponsored

Any 15-17 EB owners thinking about getting 18 EB?

OP
OP

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang Ecoboost premium
I guess even though its not practical I have that itch for a GT. I feel its a car I would keep for a long time. I typically turn my cars around every 3 years, but think that would satisfy me for longer. I guess this site doesn't help as its much more GT focused than EB. Just looking at the 18 orders placed poll only 13% are EBs.

The EB gets you the same looks and handling but not the same power or sound. I wish i knew which way I was going to end up going as with all the holiday sales I could save some good coin on an intercooler and catch can if I bought them now. Those purchases also close the gap by about 1k.

Also I wil not be tuning the next car either GT or EB. Well maybe EB if Ford Performance comes out with something, otherwise I would only do cooler and appearance mods. Would be no real reason to upgrade suspension as I would get magnaride with an EB. Though I would need the ford performance lowering springs.
Sponsored

Blyman93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang (Black)
I've been having this exact debate and honestly it's difficult. But I can tell you the gas is gonna be crazy different. I drive hard and I can appreciate not filling up so much lol I crave the exhaust note but I'm saving 100 a month on insurance (literally, it's screwed). Just slap a bolt on turbo on and enjoy.

Also I just drove one the other day and had to keep looking down at my speed like "wtf? Go" the ecoboost (when FBO and tuned) feels so much better. I'd have to supercharge the coyote anyways and then the money difference isn't even practical

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
As I said I went from an EB to a GT. My insurance didn’t even go up $100 a year and you’re saying yours was $100 more a month.

OP
OP

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As I said I went from an EB to a GT. My insurance didn’t even go up $100 a year and you’re saying yours was $100 more a month.
I am going to reach out to my insurance agent with a couple VINs, one for EB and one for GT to see what the difference will be. I have 2 teenagers on my insurance so I have a feeling that is going to influence things in a bad way.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

I guess even though its not practical I have that itch for a GT. I feel its a car I would keep for a long time. I typically turn my cars around every 3 years, but think that would satisfy me for longer. I guess this site doesn't help as its much more GT focused than EB. Just looking at the 18 orders placed poll only 13% are EBs.

The EB gets you the same looks and handling but not the same power or sound. I wish i knew which way I was going to end up going as with all the holiday sales I could save some good coin on an intercooler and catch can if I bought them now. Those purchases also close the gap by about 1k.

Also I wil not be tuning the next car either GT or EB. Well maybe EB if Ford Performance comes out with something, otherwise I would only do cooler and appearance mods. Would be no real reason to upgrade suspension as I would get magnaride with an EB. Though I would need the ford performance lowering springs.
Let me ask you a question.

Are you trying to impress someone with the GT? If so, I assure you, you will only get looks from car guys. Non-car people generally get annoyed by a V8 or a loud exhaust. It's the same situation with a lifted truck. The common thought about both is the person has a small hotdog.

If the V8 sound is strictly for you, I gotcha. It does sound good as long as it isn't ear piercing. But in life, you know that there are tradeoffs to everything. How much are you willing to pay for that V8 rumble? In purchase price, in gas, in insurance, in maintenance, in bigger tire sizes. It all adds up. I've said it once and I'll say it again. There is over a 100hp difference between the two trim levels, but it doesn't feel like it. The GT is obviously faster, but I was expecting it to be much faster. It really isn't. The boost is a great daily driver.

Sponsored

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
I looked and even considered going from my 15 to an 18... until I priced one out.

I think I will keep my 15 for a while.

I really want that 10 speed auto... the digital dash... magneride. You toss all that on a GT, and its a 50k car. The Mustang just is not a 50k car to me.

Reactions: Ebm
OP
OP

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I looked and even considered going from my 15 to an 18... until I priced one out.

I think I will keep my 15 for a while.

I really want that 10 speed auto... the digital dash... magneride. You toss all that on a GT, and its a 50k car. The Mustang just is not a 50k car to me.
I agree, the price has gone up quite a bit. I could pull off pretty much loading up an EB but would have to make compromises on the GT. No PP or Magnaride on that as it would be over 50k. Actually I think with xplan it would be 48k. Thats a lot of money. Can get the Prem EB with PP and Magna plus pretty much all other packages under 40k.

I got my EB in Nov 14 and have 61,000 miles on it. I dont like to keep a car when I start to hit higher miles, most I ever kept one was one of my Hyundais to 98,000 since I had a 100k warranty. This is the longest I have kept are car in awhile milage wise. Dropped my Fusion at 50k and my Maxima at 55k. I have some decent equity in it as I always over pay on my payments and pay every two weeks to cut into the interest. Looking to probably keep my 15 through the winter, if I can hold off, and start fresh with a new car in march or april. So working to pay down as much as possible before then.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I got my EB in Nov 14 and have 61,000 miles on it.
Are you having any problems (since the replaced head) with your car right now? As I mentioned, my wife's Escape has nearly 70K on the clock and still runs like a top. We tend to keep cars a long time (her last car had 180K before we traded for the Escape), so we'll be a real-world test of the 2.0L EB durability (assuming it doesn't start falling apart).

We shall see...

OP
OP

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you having any problems (since the replaced head) with your car right now? As I mentioned, my wife's Escape has nearly 70K on the clock and still runs like a top. We tend to keep cars a long time (her last car had 180K before we traded for the Escape), so we'll be a real-world test of the 2.0L EB durability (assuming it doesn't start falling apart).

We shall see...
No issues with the new engine. It was replaced at 27k. There was so much damage from the hole blown in the block that they actually had to replace most items in the engine bay including the turbo, so many of the components really only have 34k on them. When it first got fixed I honestly just wanted to dump the car. I was not sure how good a job the dealer would do putting it all back together, but 21 months later its lasted longer than the first one. I also did get a new intercooler (CP-e) so not sure if that has helped at all. No other bolt ons other than catch can.

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
Personally I think it's a complete waste of money to consider upgrading to a 18 GT let alone an EB, for one thing the improvements over EB's last version look don't differ much to logically call it an "upgrade", its more like paying twice for the same thing. For the 18 GT it did receive a major upgrades with all the options one could have, but then now you are talking 50 Grand for a regular Ol GT? Just think about that after two years of purchase and they are already announcing a whole new platform which I believe will be vastly superior with talks about aluminum bodies and significant reduced weight. With that kind of money its hard to justify not getting a real upgrade which would be a Shelby, new or used doesn't matter A Shelby will always be worth more than any GT and will hold its value and prestige much better over time.
If not then why not just keep your running EB till next cycle, realistically GT or EB they look the same, is it worth spending so much for so little? It is very true the saying goes "the best car is the paid off one".

Sponsored

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
So I'm a little butt sore here...

I would have ordered my car with the 101A package had it been available. I like the 12" touchscreen radio, but not enough to justify the $5000 price difference for a premium package car. Also I like the functional spoiler on the 2018 PP and Kona Blue, and it looks like the 2018 Ecoboost PP comes with the wheels from the 2015-2017 GT PP :headbang:

The one thing I can't seem to get a clear answer on is whether factory foglights are available...all the pre-produciton pictures I've seen have shown cars without foglights, and those are kind of a necessity up here in Oregon.

OP
OP

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The one thing I can't seem to get a clear answer on is whether factory foglights are available...all the pre-produciton pictures I've seen have shown cars without foglights, and those are kind of a necessity up here in Oregon.
I believe the fogs are built into the blinker housing on the 18s.

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
So I'm a little butt sore here...

I would have ordered my car with the 101A package had it been available. I like the 12" touchscreen radio, but not enough to justify the $5000 price difference for a premium package car. Also I like the functional spoiler on the 2018 PP and Kona Blue, and it looks like the 2018 Ecoboost PP comes with the wheels from the 2015-2017 GT PP :headbang:

No the PP version of the EBM comes with way better looking wheels they are not the same ones from the GT PP models. Also Fog lights are standard equipment on the premium package I believe, I did not see them on the base model. If you look at the pic below at the turn signal on the PP that one I chose was a base EBM with the PP and the GT was also a base with the PP but when I looked at all the models only the base EBM looks like there is no fog lights. It was the only model under the configurator that did not show LED fog lights listed under the general details tab.

large.PPwheels.jpg.bcc008aa7285c26189314b71fcf4076b.jpg

Blyman93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang (Black)
I'm 24. Have a small ticket from 2 years ago so I think those two factors are what got me. My full coverage would he 325 and right now I'm 230 till that ticket drops off

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Also Fog lights are standard equipment on the premium package I believe, I did not see them on the base model. If you look at the pic below at the turn signal on the PP that one I chose was a base EBM with the PP and the GT was also a base with the PP but when I looked at all the models only the base EBM looks like there is no fog lights. It was the only model under the configurator that did not show LED fog lights listed under the general details tab.

large.PPwheels.jpg.bcc008aa7285c26189314b71fcf4076b.jpg
Hmmm....foglights were part of the goodies you got with the PP on 2015-2017 :( I wonder if it's a possibility with the new 101A trim level. You can get the magnetic suspension on the 2018 PP if you're willing to pay for it.
Sponsored