Sponsored

Clutchless shift M6 2018 GT

hornedfrog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mercury Montego
Salesman today took me on a test ride/drive. He did a clutchless shift - told me this was a new thing. Something I would never consider doing. Is there something I’m missing? Serious question. Thank you.
Sponsored

Hornet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
My understanding was that it was a no-throttle-lift shift feature added and not clutchless. So basically you keep the throttle pinned to the floor and quickly shift with clutch as normal and let clutch out again and all is good + super quick shift with no loss in momentum due to letting off throttle then applying again like you normally would when shifting

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
NO, he did a no-lift shift.
Meaning you don't have to lift your foot off the throttle when shifting gears. You still have to use the clutch. Mustang's don't have DCT yet (GT500?)

OP
OP

hornedfrog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mercury Montego
Okay, he slammed the gear shift hard on a new car. No use of the clutch.

Sponsored

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Not sure what you are referring to, but I've done shifts with no clutch pedal use at all several times due to necessity. Blew out my clutch master cylinder in my 3500 Ram work truck....pedal went to the floor and stayed there. Drove 20 miles in a back up for half of it and never touched the clutch pedal.

When traffic stopped in the back up I shut the engine down, when traffic started again I'd start it in gear allowing the starter motor to get me going. Changing gears is as simple as having the engine speed match the speed of the next gear and the shifter drops right in when matched. No grinding or damage. Pops taught me that back in the early 80's when I blew a clutch in my '67 Camaro.

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
It's possible that the shift without lift feature keeps the revs up high enough that the synchros will allow you to force it into the next gear. Definitely not something I'd want someone doing to my future car since it likely creates a lot of wear on the synchros.

OP
OP

hornedfrog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mercury Montego
This is a six speed manual car. The salesman suggested that the new feature allows you to not use the clutch when shifting. No rev match, just a bang shift.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Yeah, I don't know about that. You'd have to keep engine speed and next selected gear together to avoid needing the syncros. Can't just bang it into the next gear at will. If there was or is a way for the computer to match engine speed to the next gear's speed then it's possible. Technology is capable of that, it would be a feature I haven't heard of on a new GT.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Manual transmissions have always been able to do clutchless shifting, not that it's a good idea. For an up-shift you just release throttle a little, taking all the load off the driveline and pull it out of gear, then pull into the next gear as the RPM decays so engine RPM and car speed match. Some people are pretty good at it, nothing new, but the clutch is there for a reason, use it.

That being said, he was almost certainly doing a "no lift shift" not a clutchless shift. For a no-lift shift (as others point out) you keep your right foot on the floor and the ECU cuts throttle/fuel/ as your shift (so the engine doesn't redline) then restores power when you are in the next gear. Basically the ECU is doing the throttle lift for you.

Sponsored

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
Salesmen are idiots!

Just drove an 18 yesterday that said the same thing. It did not work lol. It is a no lift shift, which is throttle.and 18s do NOT have this. I tried lol. Every manual requires using a clutch! Or else it's an AUTOmatic

This is for the '19's, '19s have no lift shift, not 2018, dealers are rolling out training now but salesmen are the biggest morons with details. My salesman proceeded to show off the strut brace as what you get with the pp (didn't mention everything else), and held me from getting in the car to show off that it has a backup camera on the trunk. He also stopped me from backing out to show me the 18s have pony projector lights....while mine were lit....car salesmen are beyond stupid

Madtel4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
21 MACH 1, HP 1064, 20 Ranger XLT & 20 Explorer ST
Big rigs shift without the clutch all the time. As far as no lift shifting I have always done this when drag racing. I am sure its not good for things but neither is drag racing and you may as well win when you race. I have power shifted (Flat on the floor) the Shelby many times.
Lee

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Salesman today took me on a test ride/drive. He did a clutchless shift - told me this was a new thing. Something I would never consider doing. Is there something I’m missing? Serious question. Thank you.
A new thing to cause tranny damage in the long run. Nobody can shift perfectly forever without using the clutch. :headbonk:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Okay, he slammed the gear shift hard on a new car. No use of the clutch.
This is a six speed manual car. The salesman suggested that the new feature allows you to not use the clutch when shifting. No rev match, just a bang shift.
Look for a different Mustang to buy - LOL.