Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thevalleylocal.net
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB Premium+ Lightning Blue 6spd Pony
Based on a previous thread <2018 Transmission 6 speed manual vs. 10 speed automatic> it looks like the new 10 spd automatic transmission is the better choice for the Ecoboost since it'll keep the engine in the optimal power band and won't lose boost between shifts.

But if I can't find a 10A with the other options I want, I certainly don't mind manual (heh - my SO will just have to finally learn how to shift...) and based on this thread <2018 A10 "bouncy" shifts?> it looks like the auto may have some problems anyway.

So.... that all being said, if I do get an EB w/6spd, do you have any tips for overcoming its limitations in this application? I readily admit, the "limitations" may be just with my abilities (i.e. "just learn to shift faster") and I'll of course work on those.

I want to know how to get the best possible acceleration & not lose boost, so any tips/suggestions - specific to the EB/manual combo - would be most welcome!

Really enjoying the Forums,
Chris
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Future Mustang Owner
Seeking a Lightning Blue 2018 w/Pony Package, preferably 10A but can do manual. EB preferred cuz price, but a 5.0 in my range would be seriously considered :ford:
Sponsored

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
You don't buy a manual because it is faster.. You buy a manual because you become part of the car (for some). If you want fast and smooth stick with a automatic. If you want emotion get the manual. You will intuitive learn what you want to know with the manual in short time. Also manual have a personality that is different from day to day so you will need to be able to adapt.

OP
OP
DL109er

DL109er

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thevalleylocal.net
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB Premium+ Lightning Blue 6spd Pony
You don't buy a manual because it is faster.. You buy a manual because you become part of the car (for some). If you want fast and smooth stick with a automatic. If you want emotion get the manual. You will intuitive learn what you want to know with the manual in short time. Also manual have a personality that is different from day to day so you will need to be able to adapt.
You're right in my wheelhouse here :hail: and if we weren't talking about the EB, I'd get the manual for all those reasons. But I've never had a 4cyl turbo before so don't know whether there's anything specific/different I should be aware of vs a normally aspirated engine.

The only two things I've heard of is 1) being able to stay in the optimal power band (though, admittedly, that's probably on me to keep the engine in the right RPM range, whatever that is for this engine), and 2) being able to shift without losing boost (probably on me, again, to shift fast enough - though I don't know yet whether it's possible to manually shift fast enough to prevent boost loss. Remember - I'm new to turbo :shrug:)

Chris
Future Mustang Owner
Seeking a Lightning Blue 2018 w/Pony Package, preferably 10A but can do manual. EB preferred cuz price, but a 5.0 in my range would be seriously considered

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Short story: love the power and tore of V8, love the whine and pull of supercharger, wanted to try out a turbo. Purchased the little 4 cyl. Manual thinking it would be bla bla.
I was completely wrong and have strong appreciation for the designers/engineers that design this well balance vehicle.i think I understand their intentions.
1. This set will never be a drag car without modifications
2. If you like power shifting you will have issues if you compare to V6or8
3. This car will give you pleasure in how well you connect to its balance
4. 3k miles since purchase and total average is 32.2 MPG
5. Don't ever expect the sound of exhaust to impress you
6. The shifting is find as long as you don't power shift, if you do there will be very short lag
7. You can operate on low octane fuel, I got same MPG, did loss power
8. To me I don't even want a GT now, if I wanted a weekend garage queen it would be a Shelby
9. This is a car you will love if you you can get over everyone asking you "is it a V8"
10. No matter how fast your car is, you always want faster. Remember we all want "faster cars younger women older whiskey and more money"

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
"faster cars younger women older whiskey and more money"
**faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money!

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]vnvMcX95G20[/MEDIA]"]

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Based on a previous thread <2018 Transmission 6 speed manual vs. 10 speed automatic> it looks like the new 10 spd automatic transmission is the better choice for the Ecoboost since it'll keep the engine in the optimal power band and won't lose boost between shifts.

But if I can't find a 10A with the other options I want, I certainly don't mind manual (heh - my SO will just have to finally learn how to shift...) and based on this thread <2018 A10 "bouncy" shifts?> it looks like the auto may have some problems anyway.

So.... that all being said, if I do get an EB w/6spd, do you have any tips for overcoming its limitations in this application? I readily admit, the "limitations" may be just with my abilities (i.e. "just learn to shift faster") and I'll of course work on those.

I want to know how to get the best possible acceleration & not lose boost, so any tips/suggestions - specific to the EB/manual combo - would be most welcome!

Really enjoying the Forums,
Chris
Future Mustang Owner
Seeking a Lightning Blue 2018 w/Pony Package, preferably 10A but can do manual. EB preferred cuz price, but a 5.0 in my range would be seriously considered :ford:

Well, when most are talking about "fast shifts... they are talking about loosing track time in 0.008'ish seconds per shift around the tracl/strip, etc. They are concerned with the last eek in performance.

Essentially, most competent humans can shift within 0.80 seconds. Newer automatics and DCT/PDK's can shift @ 0.20 seconds. (about 4x faster than most humans.)

I do not think you are asking about how fast to shift, but when..? Or perhaps how to modulate clutch..?

Basically, You have to learn to maintain boost, learning to rev-match. Fortunately, the 2019 newer Mustang have rev-match as a standard option.

I say the choice is yours. The A10 is enticing, so it essentially comes down to what you want from your Mustang. The manual is more engaging and phun.

justme97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LB Ecoboost 6mt pony pack vert, 06 EB Explorer
With manual the transmission does what you want, when you want it to.
The throttle become used only for throttle, not for persuading the tranny to downshift. So you start to feel the difference between throttle and shifting in your driving and can tweak both...day to day...as you develop your unique shifting style tailored to the purpose of the the particular trip you're on. It's way more complicated than flipping a switch for a drive mode, and becomes more satisfying once you've mastered it.
I know a10 is efficient in staying in the powerband, but with the 3.31 gears the manual goes 0-60 with only one shift, that's pretty efficient in it's own way. Especially if you are tuned with a wider powerband.
The a10 also costs $1600. EB is an economical muscle car and that's a lot of hard earned $$ that you could invest elsewhere.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
If you get a Cobb Accessport tuner, one of its features is flat-foot shifting. I like that when I'm going for 0-60 times. I don't know what other tuners offer that, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I am will chime in.

I'd also recommend a short-throw shifter; the Steeda Tri-ax feels good in my car.

Sponsored

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
I just bought a 2018 EB PP 6sp in Feb. I would concur with everything Interceptor says, especially the "buy the manual cuz you want the manual". I wanted the manual. It is my daily driver, but I will use it for the occasional HPDE as well. I know the auto is probably faster around a road course, but I have been manually shifting around race tracks for over 20 yrs. I just can't get used to paddles :shrug:

As far as lag is concerned, my only other turbo experience is with a lightly modded 944 Turbo. This car has laaaaaaaaaaaaaaag. The Ecoboost doesn't really have noticeable lag. It really starts pully pretty strong by about 2.5K.
But as others have noted, there really isn't much to be gained by revving it to 6K (in stock tune). For normal acceleration, I find about 3/4 throttle and 4K shifts provides very "zippy" performance.

I really like this car. I'm actually shocked by how much I like this car. And I think it is hard to beat for the price, especially with PP. I've seen some dealers listing these (6sp, PP) for as little as $23.2K. That is a friggin steal.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Think about what a BMW M240i costs @ $46k.
and an M2 @ $55k..!

Neither of those BMW's can be option with MagneRide, nor can they be modified upgraded as easily & as inexpensive as the Ford Mustang (ie: try getting a CF drive shaft for a M240i..)

In all honesty, all the stock EB needs is an upgraded Radiator and Intercoolers. With 2019 Rev-matching (and/or a10) there is little around for comparison to the EB w/magneride $34k asking price, that will match the EB's performance.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Think about what a BMW M240i costs @ $46k.
and an M2 @ $55k..!

Neither of those BMW's can be option with MagneRide, nor can they be modified upgraded as easily & as inexpensive as the Ford Mustang (ie: try getting a CF drive shaft for a M240i..)

In all honesty, all the stock EB needs is an upgraded Radiator and Intercoolers. With 2019 Rev-matching (and/or a10) there is little around for comparison to the EB w/magneride $34k asking price, that will match the EB's performance.
And I can attest to how nice Magneride is. So glad I got it. In stock form the car just needs a better intercooler to be a great and consistant performer.

I have not noticed the bouncy shifts while driving. Idk if it's a gt thing or not but this thing is smooth as butter. Only thing I can say is iffy is being in sport/sport + at low speed. I would recommend only using those modes above 20mph. If your in normal then nothing to be concerned about.

I plan on testing 0-60 more toward the end of the year. It's just way too hot right now for me to get accurate numbers. However short shifting at 5500 rpm seems to feel a little quicker vs taking it to redline, though that's just my butt dyno.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
If you get a Cobb Accessport tuner, one of its features is flat-foot shifting. I like that when I'm going for 0-60 times. I don't know what other tuners offer that, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I am will chime in.

I'd also recommend a short-throw shifter; the Steeda Tri-ax feels good in my car.
I've been doing that since 2000. :lol:

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
FYI - Turbo lag is really a thing of the past. Modern turbos have a lot less mass than when turbo technology first became popular many years ago.

Most people complaining about turbo lag these days are really experiencing transmission lag (ie - dual clutch fumbles).
Sponsored