Sponsored

QA1 verus Driveshaft shop CF driveshafts

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
Cheapest prices I can find puts the QA1 approx 300 dollars more. I am planning on the RXT and the QA1 with MGW shifter. Budget is an issue so outside of the weight differences, and at least one report the driveshaft shop didn't fit a car with MGW what are the other considerations?

The data and experience Ephiphany has makes the QA1 more compelling as its the most in depth dive on either product available anywhere right now.
Sponsored

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
What is the RXT you reference Sir?

I was planning on the QA1 as well due to the write ups and feedback from Ephiphany. It'll go in this winter sometime.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
It looks as though both QA1 and DSS use a similar GKN CV joint, custom adapter, and Sonnex yokes/Spicer u-joint. The two shafts are wound differently at least as far as the angle of the fibers. But the DSS shaft is advertised at 3.8" and they also glue a weight to the fiber tube - I'm not sure if DSS includes this in their measurements or not. Regardless, that puts the DSS tube at .5" bigger than that of the QA1. Both have similar HP ratings. Problem is that the larger diameter puts the DSS very close (if not in direct contact) with the bottom of the MGW shifter. As much as the driveline is essentially fixed on the S550 I personally find that amount of clearance as unacceptable.

Greg35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
' 18 GT350
Ohhhh yeah! McLeod RXT, MGW Shifter, and QA1 C.F. driveshaft.....:clap2:
Got them on my GT350 and have ZERO issues. This is one of those "don't over-think it too much" scenarios IMHO......just do them. I am extremely pleased and trust you will be also.:thumbsup:

Sponsored

Greg35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
' 18 GT350
Oh, and a P.S. if I may....take a long look @ that QA1. It's a frickin' work of art! Pattern of their in-house winding and the inherent level of quality is something to behold. Damn shame it can't be seen by other drivers you're passing!

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
According to the McLeod site the RXT clutch/flywheel combo weighs the same as stock. If you aren't running significantly more power, what's the advantage of switching to it?

Greg35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
' 18 GT350
According to the McLeod site the RXT clutch/flywheel combo weighs the same as stock. If you aren't running significantly more power, what's the advantage of switching to it?
Actually, weighed them @ install and there is a 7+lbs weight savings.For me , it was a no-brainer decision to opt for the much upgraded McLeod combo as I have a '16 Tech and was installing the FP Trans Cooler Kit and a new trans. W/ the internal pump. While trans. was pulled it was excellent opportunity to "future proof" my clutch assembly and benefit from the lighter flywheel too. :thumbsup:

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
Actually, weighed them @ install and there is a 7+lbs weight savings.For me , it was a no-brainer decision to opt for the much upgraded McLeod combo as I have a '16 Tech and was installing the FP Trans Cooler Kit and a new trans. W/ the internal pump. While trans. was pulled it was excellent opportunity to "future proof" my clutch assembly and benefit from the lighter flywheel too. :thumbsup:
Just curious getting ridvof the dual mass flywheel do you notice a lot of gearvrattle from the trans at idle? Howvis the clutch pedal feel with the RXT and high rpm shifting?

What about take off any chattering? How many do you have on it?

I have been really interested in doing this clutch and flywheel sorry to op for taking off track.

Greg35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
' 18 GT350
The design of & discs material of the RXT allows for a good streetable clutch even though it has a holding
capacity of 1,000hp. Very smooth upon engagement, no issue @ high rpm shift, a firm and very nearly stock-like pedal feel, and I've experienced no loud chatter noise @ idle. Spoke to McLeod tech about recommended break-in procedure to avoid chattering before I placed my order. After 500 mi. break-in I drove w/o restraint whenever I got the urge. Approx. 1,800 mi. later and I'm happy.

Sponsored

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
The design of & discs material of the RXT allows for a good streetable clutch even though it has a holding
capacity of 1,000hp. Very smooth upon engagement, no issue @ high rpm shift, a firm and very nearly stock-like pedal feel, and I've experienced no loud chatter noise @ idle. Spoke to McLeod tech about recommended break-in procedure to avoid chattering before I placed my order. After 500 mi. break-in I drove w/o restraint whenever I got the urge. Approx. 1,800 mi. later and I'm happy.
Awesome thanks!

No loud gear rattling from the trans at idle with clutch released and trans in neutral? I know on BMWs one of the main benefits of the dual mass is to prevent this gear rattle at idle.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
With the RXT do you guys notice a difference in how quickly the engine revs when you blip the throttle in neutral?
Sponsored