Sponsored

QA1 GT350 CF Driveshaft

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I was interested in seeing if the GT350 would come with a CF shaft from the moment the car was announced. Based on the fact that the '13/'14 GT500 came with a fiber unit from the factory I figured it would be a no brainer to utilize one behind the high winding Voodoo powerplant. When I saw a photo of a pre-production car fitted with one it seemed to be a lock. Then something happened. Ford teased the public with several shaded and carefully edited photos, none of which showed the driveshaft. Then just before production I saw it...a two-piece steel shaft. Talk about disappointment.

In the summer of 2015 I attended the "Powertrain Reveal" at the old Ford SVT headquarters in Michigan. The focus was on the engine and transmission and I met with some of Ford's finest engineers and had the opportunity to discuss everything in detail including asking why a CF shaft wasn't being used. Jamal Hameedi (Global Performance Vehicle Chief Engineer) told me they couldn't get the stiffness they wanted from a carbon fiber shaft for use in this application. While it seemed counter to everything he had said about why one was chosen for the '13/'14 GT500 I believe he was indeed being truthful. To date I wonder if his statement could have been further qualified to something like "at what price point did you abandon the CF shaft?" etc, but I didn't press further. It really isn't fair to pry for information that they really can't share. I'd still like to know more about the results they saw and the decision making that followed though.:)

That left the aftermarket. I figured DSS would come up with something and to their credit they did. In my case, I was looking for something else. I noticed that QA1 had posted a couple of videos stating that they were diving into the fiber shaft foray but I saw no mention of anything GT350 related. It took a little bit and then suddenly QA1 had a listing. I spoke with two individuals that jumped on the bandwagon and both shared photos and their initial observations. Both sounded very impressed and as such I placed an order with LMR for the SFI approved CF shaft from QA1.

https://lmr.com/item/QA1-JJ21208/shelby-gt350-carbon-fiber-driveshaft-qa1-15-17-jj-21208-sfi

It showed up today and I'm a bit disappointed with UPS (yup, here we go). I was out back with my dogs and heard the familiar burble of a UPS truck. He pulled out of the driveway as I got to the front door. Jihadi was apparently placed on the box. This is the same way it was placed outside my door.

zz%200831171032_resized.jpg

The top portion of the box was still there and could be pivoted back in place.

zz%200831171031b_resized.jpg

zz%200831171031a_resized.jpg

zz%200831171031_resized.jpg

I called QA1 and spoke to a gentleman there about it. I didn't contact LMR (yet) as the unit was drop (I now hate using that word) shipped directly from QA1 and never saw LMR's hands. I forwarded the photos up above. A cursory look shows no visual damage but I'm well aware of how important it is to handle driveline components such as a driveshaft. I plan on installing the unit unless QA1 directs me otherwise. It is indeed a beautiful piece and I'll document that as soon as I can.
Sponsored

Last edited:

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
I am curious to see your results. Did you have a reason to prefer the QA1 vs the DSS unit? Something about its construction or design that DSS did not address? Thx for the research. :cheers:

Sponsored

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
There is a reason for Ford to go with a two-piece steel shaft. It's not to save money but to reduce vibration from the FPC.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I would also like to see/hear about results... I did the same on my BMW M3, and I got a lot more noise and vibration at the diff...

I went back to 2 piece.. There is also a lot of movement between diff and gearbox, which a 2 piece design will swallow much easier.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
There is a reason for Ford to go with a two-piece steel shaft. It's not to save money but to reduce vibration from the FPC.
Your comments certainly make sense from my standpoint.

Having said that I converted two of my Boss 302 cars over from 2 piece steel drive shafts to one piece CF driver shafts and there was a noticeable difference with respect to less vibration, smoother acceleration under aggressive driving and what seemed to be a slight improvement in quicker acceleration based on reducing the weight of the DS rotating mass in half.

With the Voodoo and Coyote engines being totally different animals I would agree with your suggestion that vibration may have been an issue with the FPC engine.

;)

Greg35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
' 18 GT350
Good to see it arrived! However, I certainly understand your angst about the condition of the shipping container and possible damage to that awesome shaft. I saw your post @work.today & literally was shocked! As you know I have the QA1 installed.and have posted my impressions thus far in other driveshaft thread here. Mine arrived in almost exact same condition. Box was.cut and loosely hanging in fashion just as your photos show. I too closely inspected & ( being a very impatient sort of guy! Ha!) decided to proceed w/ the install. Thought I was that "1 in a 1,000" w/ a cut box! Obviously QA1 needs to address this and better reinforce their container. Look forward to your thoughts after installed. :(

Sponsored

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
I'm curious as to the benefits as well. I'd also like to know why they didn't go with a CV?

try714

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby gt350
I just recent purchased one from the member here, I cant wait to installing it with the MGW short shifter.

straightliner1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R #HR262 / 2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali
I like the "adult sized" Pez dispenser! Not sure why someone felt the need to cut the top of the box open. That does not look like a cardboard failure.

Kado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 H4866
I like the "adult sized" Pez dispenser! Not sure why someone felt the need to cut the top of the box open. That does not look like a cardboard failure.
Free Driveshaft with each Pez dispenser purchase!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
You've got quite the build going on there Tob
Sponsored